Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:30 AM
ta

Default Conquest concerns

I have been reading alot of negative things about Conquest recently.We are crusing on 8/14/2005 and I am looking for info about the hot tubs working and cleaness of the ship.Also about the condition of the ports that it goes to do to the hurricanes. I sure do not want to be on a run down ship for the money I spent. I would appriciate any advice. Should I try and change to another Carnival ship? Mary
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:38 AM
sls

Default Re: Conquest concerns

Hot tubs just aren't hot on any Carnival ship unless you use the hot tub in the spa area and then it is really hot.

Ports of call - this is going to be an active hurricane season. Everywhere the Conquest goes has been hit - Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel to some degree so far this year and the peak of the hurricane season hasn't come yet. If you are worried about the ports you just shouldn't cruise the Carribean/Gulf Coast area.

I think it's too late for you to change or cancel if you are already paid in full. Cruising during hurricane season is a crap shoot and this year it is hitting earlier and harder. Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best or you are not going to be miserable.

sls (who is still picking up debris from Dennis and swelter in the heat)
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Captain

The Conquest is one of the BEST, we were on her in 2003 & LOVED it...... Very clean & the crew were excellent....... Some people love to GRUMBLE no matter what., don't let their bad attitudes put a bad taste on your upcomong cruise.....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Yeoman

The wife and I sailed on the Conquest in 2003 also. This was our 25'th wedding aniv. cruise. We had excellant service, the ship was clean,huge, and beautiful ! And theres always good food to eat. I have no complaints at all. Would I sail on her again ? You bet !
Go with a open mind, and with a good attitude. Remember to leave your daily stress at home and relax and ready to be pampered !
To me, a cruise is the best vacation on earth !

Ports of call: I've been told that there's still evidence of hurricane damage in all ports. Thats just the way it is during this time of year. They no more get one cleaned up,and there comes more.
All-in-all - I still would rather be on a cruise, than stuck at home, or working !

Happy cruising;
david

Sensation- 09/24/2005
Conquest-2003
Inspiration-2001
Enchanted Isle-1999
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM
joesmooga

I'm with you on the Conquest 8-14 sailing and anticipate having a BLAST irregardless of what happens. I know it is scheduled for dry dock a week after we get off the ship, so who knows what shape it will be in. As long as the food is served hot, the drinks are cold, and the deck chairs are plentiful (yeah, right) it will be fun!

I, too, have read that the hot tubs are not working on the ship, but the last place I am going to want to be is in a hot tub when the sun is as hot as fire!

Don't sweat the hurricane's... If one develops they can re-route us somewhere. As long as the ship goes to sea and I am on it I will be happy!

Joe
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:33 PM
ta

Default Re: Re: Conquest concerns

Are you traveling with any teens? My husband and i are crusing with our 2 teens 14 and 16.I dont really care about the hot tubs, but it doesnt leave a good impression when things are not working .
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
cali-croozer

We sailed the Conquest in June and, yes, the hot tubs were down the entire week; I had read posts that they were shut down weeks before our cruise, and, since then, have read posts that they were still down after our cruise. So, chances are, no hot tubs on your cruise.

BUT, other than that; the Conquest was our favorite ship so far!!!! We had a blast. There was so much to do. The cruise director, Todd, and his staff are excellent! We had a great time at the piano bar (I know the piano bar guy moved to the Liberty in July, but give it a try anyway). If the ventriloquist is still there, don't miss his show; especially the first (family) show. The Mardi Gras deck party was also a big hit.

We ate in the Renoir Dining Room, 6:15pm seating, and had an awesome waitstaff (Goose and Charles). There was always something for everyone's taste on the menu. My husband and I ate most breakfasts and half the lunches in the dining room. When we did go to the Lido Deck, the buffets were plentiful; they served conch fritters and jerk chicken the day we were in Jamaica (yum!). Try a Rueben sandwich at the deli at least once. My husband liked Sur Mer (upstairs) too. Of course, the pizza is always good (I like the weird stuff----goat cheese!). On sea days, try the afternoon tea for a little relaxing music and pastries.

TA.............we sailed with our 2 boys, ages 15 and 17. They had a great time. Be sure your kids go to the meet and greet for their age group the first night so they can meet friends and get the weekly schedule. There will be a 12-14 year old group and a 15-17 year old group.
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:36 PM
First Mate

Ta, here's a website that has the latest CDC, (Center for Disease Control) figures. (Bottom of page). You can read the infractions and the corrective measures taken, and view their overall score. We've sailed the Conquest three times since it's 2002 birth. We've always found the ship to be clean. Yes, there are those who will point out that water spot behind the door going into Vincents' Lounge or the two inch tear in the drape on the last window of the Painters Library. Personally, I missed those. I did happen to catch the deck personnel each morning, wiping down all the surfaces that are subject to being touched by hands. Handrails, door knobs, bathroom fixtures, and everything in the dining areas.

As far as the hot tubs are concerned, we didn't use them much. When we did go, we used the one in the Spa. You're going at a time when there will be a lot of individuals that are not adults yet. For a most part, we've had nothing but compliments for the younger crowd, but there will be a few "darling angels" that mommy and daddy will turn loose, to see how much havoc they can reap in a week. Whatever you do, don't try to call one of the chrebs down. You'll only be met with, "They're just having a good time," or "I just can't do anything with them anymore..............."

Most of the ports bounce back fairlly quick after the storms, as they depend on the cruise industry as a major source of income. The one that was still tore up pretty bad was Grand Cayman. They're open and are making good progress in fixing that lovely place. (GC's my favorite).

There's no doubt you'll have a great time. The Captains of all the cruise ships do a splendid job of not sailing into a storm. We went in Sept. and dodged one that mulled around in the Bay of Campeche. Final note. Don't listen to all that negative stuff and get worried that your dream vacation won't go like you want it to. Just........relax, It'll be just fine.

http://www2a.cdc.gov/nceh/VSPIRS/VSPResult.asp

Post Edited (07-26-05 17:58)
Conquest--January 2005
Conquest--April 2006
Fantasy--February 2007
Fantasy--October 2007
Conquest--February 2009
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:45 PM
kjo

ta:

Conquest concerns? Please, relax and get ready to enjoy the ship. Your biggest 'concerns' will be - do I wear the white shirt or the blue? do I have two or three drinks at Margaritaville? do I have the steak or salmon at dinner? do I party until all hours of the morning or be in bed by midnight? do I forget about life back home or do I totally enjoy this entire trip?

I don't mean to minimize your concerns, but you can trust me when I tell you that the Conquest is absolutely beautiful. We sailed her last month. It was pre-hurricane season, so I can't help you there.

Have a fabulous trip! You won't be disappointed - I promise!
Old July 27th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Car

Here is my review on the Conquest!!!!!!!!! My husband and I sail on 7/17/05. Hot tubs shut down for chlorination process..... was told later it was because of a virus... not sure though. The food was ok.... Don't eat the soups.... they are horrible.....Conquest is a clean ship and you will enjoy the cruise director Todd. The ship is extremely cold so I would pack for that... I am not one to complain but I will tell you that we did have some fun on the ship but for the most part we were very disappointed. We sailed on the Fantasy last year and it was a far better cruise than the conquest.... the food was phenominal. Conquest was just ok..... The roast beef was so bloody that even hubby couldn't eat it. We only ate in the diningroom once because it was so cold on the ship so we ate on lido deck the rest of the time. We had to miss one port because of the hurricane and carnival thought it would be sufficient to give everone a $25.00 on board credit.. So in fact we paid $2500.00 for 2 ports, 66% of our cruise and 1% credit... not to mention not being able to use hot tubs. When we got into Grand Cayman we were suppose to go on the stingray excursion. It was raining when we pulled into port. Our guide told us it was sunny at the sandbar so we boarded the busses and took off to the boats. When we got there a very bad storm front came through off the ocean.... nothing but a black wall and air to ground lightening. They were going to put us on the boats and we refused to get out of the bus. They finally cancelled the tour because of our refusal to get off the bus. Kids running wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Saw several teens on the boat who were actually drunk. I wish you luck and hope your cruise experience is better than ours was. Think I will use Royal Caribbean for my next cruise!
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have never been on the Conquest so can not help you there ... but did want to respond to Car, when I was on the Fantasy, we had the same issue with the Roast Beef, so I just asked them for well done, they took it back, and yes we were in the buffet line, and when it came back it was just the way I liked it, pink but no blood ... Sometimes you just have to ask ..

As for the teens, that can not necessarily be blamed on any cruise line ... it is the fault of the parents.

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:15 PM
cali-croozer

Cold..........yes, I had forgotten about that. Do remember to bring a wrap or a light sweater for the evening. Or you can buy one in the gift shop (a wrap for $10).

Food.......there is always something for everyone on the menu, but if you can't decide, you can order steak (filet mignon) or chicken breast any night (my 17 year old ordered the steak 4-5 times during our cruise). Also, if you order something and discover it is not to your liking, just ask for something else. Don't go away hungry or disappointed.

Weather.........Carnival has no control over the weather. We lucked out with 7 days of sun, while the Miracle (same week, similar ports but not on the same day) had rain from Sunday through Thursday! We met a family in Cozumel, from the Miracle, who were happy to finally experience a day of sun (Friday!). They weren't even supposed to be in Cozumel that day, but their captain switched a couple of ports.

Teens........lots of teens, but didn't see any running wild. On the last night, some were drunk, but I only found out because my son told me about it.