Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Bmaintz

Default Honeymoon Gift Certificate

My daughter is getting married in June & taking a cruise on the Conquest for their honeymoon (should get me a grandkid !!!).... Anyway I suggested to my daughter that she might HINT to her upcoming guest (400 ..whew) that a gift to help pay for their honeymoon cruise would be nice..... They are paying premium price because of the time in June.... Would this be inappropriate to hint for a cruise Gift Certificate....??
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Honeymoon Gift Certificate

Our TA said that you can set up a Bridal Registry type thing to help pay for the cruise. It works backwards though because a cruise has to be paid in full 75 days before you sail. Guests can call the TA to tell how much they want to give. They could also go on line and buy gift certificates to be used as ship board credit towards spa treatments, specialty restaurant, pictures, etc. So when people call for gift suggestions just tell them they are registered with a TA.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 28th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Admiral

there is no need to "hint" around about that. People ask, they want to know what to give the bride and groom. Cruise gift certificates are a great idea. You can also buy them excursions. We have received gifts of excursions - that was great. Set it up with their travel agent.
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Yeoman

I think that would be great ! After all, I would want to get the person something they can use and want. And that is something they both would love !

Thats a great idea !
david w
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Captain

Thanks, I will let my daughter read this thread..... Bob

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Re: Cruise Gift Certificates ????
Author: getsemani (---.white-plains-05rh15-16rt.ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: 07-28-05 16:19

Because my fiance and I were moving out of the country as soon as we got married, we included a little card, along with the wedding invitation, that stated that a gift was not required to attend, but if their heart moved them to it, we would appreciate it if it was in cash...it worked wonderfully.

Everybody knew our situation, and knew that it would be very difficult for us to take with us pots, pans, toasters, blenders...you know, the usual things people get as wedding gifts. We've been married for 14 years, and haven't regretted.

I don't think that giving the guests a "hint" is inappropriate. If I were a guest where the bride or groom hinted on what they wanted, I would happily help.
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:19 PM
billnemo

Make sure your daughter is aware that Carnival can cancell any or all of their ports of call for whatever reason whatsover. Be sure they read the contract in it's entirety before sailing. Below is the clause about ommiting ports of call:

9. (a) The Vessel shall be entitled to leave and enter ports with or without pilots or tugs, to tow and assist other vessels in any circumstances, to return to or enter any port at the Masterís discretion and for any purpose and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to safety, security, adverse weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, emergency debarkations of Guests or crew, or late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances.

They will have no recourse if they cancell all of their ports of call, doesn't matter why, states in the contract "any reason whatsoever" (see above). So make sure its o.k. with them that they stay on the ship the whole cruise, and that possibly missing the beaches and excursions won't put a damper on their honeymoon.

Gift cards would be great , your daughter should be prepared to pay for: any gambling expenses, liquor sales, (she won't receive any liquor that she purchases onboard until the night before they disembark), bingo average $7.00 per card for 1 or 2 game sessions, any beach towels $22.00 if accidentally left on a deck, 15% mandatory tips on their drinks. Their room will have several sodas and bottled water in it if they drink them its about $3.50 per. Customary room service tips, photos of which will be taken when embarking, every night at dinner, formal night around the ship avg $20.00 per, arcade tokens, soda cards about $36.00, coffee drinks from a bar area, smoothie drinks $3.75 - $4.75 ea +15%, wine at dinner $4.75 to $9.75 + 15% per glass, temporary tatoos, spa treatments, teeth whitening $179.00 etc. plus any excursions that they may book. Plus Carnival will bill them $10 per person per day for tips, if she wants to reduce the tips she'll have to go to the information desk and tell them, they may try to make her feel guilty about it they will ask if she is going to tip them on your own, don't let that bother her. The Travelog which is a video log of the trip showing events such as the "hairy chest contest" plus all the other excitemnet onboard as a reminder of her trip is only $29.00. Internet service 30 minutes for $16.50. A can of coke with a tumbler just $6.95 sorry no refills at that price.
The daily drink specials are about $6.25 ea. but you get to keep the plastic souvenior glass as a momento.
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Admiral

What the above poster says is true of almost every cruise line - not just Carnival.
Old July 30th, 2005, 04:55 PM
billnemo

Default Re: Re: Honeymoon Gift Certificate

THIS IS THE CARNIVAL FORUM AND MY POST IS TRUE!! I LEFT OUT OTHER CHARGES ONBOARD LIKE LAUNDRY $15.00 PER BAG ETC ETC..

SHE DIDN'T INQUIRER ABOUT OTHER CRUISE LINES!!
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Captain

I will fill her in on the charges, her future husband has been on a cruise before so I am sure they will be OK & have a great time....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)