Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:23 AM
patticake

Default doctors cave beach in montego bay, jamaica(we were there) be

our ship the victory, altered its route because of hurricane emily the week of july 17th and we ended up in montego bay jamaica instead of ocho rios. we were disappointed because we did not do the falls at dunns river. the drive was two hours to ocho rios and we had five kids in the group of 11, so we opted to not try and do 7 hour excursion. so we questioned info. desk at the pier and were directed to doctors cave beach to spend most of the day.

i believe it was $5 to get in for each person, had to rent umbrellas and chairs which they carried for us and it is layed out with terraces and steps and palm trees so we were able to find shade along with the umbrella. there was a small restaurant, nice restrooms, lifeguards, water trampolines and absolutely gorgeous water and sand.

we took along three blow up rings for our little ones and two blow up rafts and also our own snorkeling gear from home for half of the group and shared. margueritaville wa within walking distance, but we never got there as we waited too long to finish up at the beach and had to get back to the ship. i now wish we had made time to get there because i notice they had a large water slide and tube that shot into the water on the beach,. it is so hard to fit all of these things in on hours you aare given.

also five of the girls in our group had there hair braided by a lady on the beach. i ended up paying way too much for my hair as i did not haggle with her and all the others in the group had it done for much lower than me because they said to her this is all i have to pay you. i think she looked at me the grandma and said, this one has more money.

the only thing about this beach we did not like,(and i am sure it was likethis all over jamaica) is we were offered drugs at the entrance of the beach right as our grandchildren were standing right next to us. also on the beach where it connected to privated property we had a group of young men smoking something very strong(as my kids put it, MOM THAT IS MARIJUANA AS THEY ARE LAUGHING AT ME FOR BEING SO NIEVE. i kept saying, what smells like incense?

our kids and grandkids actually snorkeled right along the pier at the beach and saw amazing things you would only see on a scheduled snorkeling trip

getting to the beach and back to ship was fairly easy and i think we paid $4 per person on airconditioned bus going to beach but on the way back got a better price on more rickety cab with no air. the cabs wait right outside the beach to pounce on you for business.

wanted to shop on street by beach but did not have time either for that so shopped at really pathetic shop right by pier with rather offensive gifts. all of our grandchildren ages 5 thru 12 were picking up and saying what is this? well the 11 and 12 year olds were picking up and having a good snickering laugh as they knew what it was.we could not believe how many sexually oriented items lined the shelves, not just sayings but obscene body anatomy things. it was at that point that i wish we had ridden two hours to the falls in a bus. they did find tshirts for 4 for $20 with cute saying about jamaica so that was good.

as i finish up this too long rewiew, the beach was very nice and everyone had a really great time in the water. i could have stayed in the water all day. there was a storm in the mountains which we saw from afar which was quite interesting.
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: doctors cave beach in montego bay, jamaica(we were there

patticake,
Sorry you and your family had your port changed and didn't get to do as planned but glad everyone had a good time and is safely home.

Last year we left Port Canaveral and Hurricane Frances was still out at sea. A few days later she was moving but we were always a day or more ahead of her and none of our ports were cancelled or changed and we had great weather. But by the end of the week, she finally hit FLA and we couldn't get back in and had to stay at sea 2 extra days. Obviously everyones travel plans were ruined but we were all safe and sound. The only bad comment I heard was people complaining they were getting "charged" an extra $10/day tips for the 2 FREE DAYS extra. A couple of times I pointed out or reminded them of our FREE stay and then they realized $10 wasn't too bad.

We have been to both Ocho Rios and Montego Bay and prefer Montego Bay. I know there are many many ppl who love the falls but we climbed the Dunns River Falls and found it to be a dangerous excursion. It could have been just the human chain we were in and the path we had to take (there were over 10 other human chains) but everyone in our group was slippy and falling, scaping knees, elbows, etc. We did use the stairs at the half way mark as did many in our group. The falls is pretty to look at but not for us to climb.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302