Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Yeoman

Default Customs

In this day of Post 9/11, I like to think we (The U.S.) are on the ball with security at our borders. I must say though that on our last cruise on the Miracle (out of Tampa), departing the ship and going through customs was a joke!
We filled out our forms, stood in line, and was shooed right throught by customs agents. Never once did they look into our bags, check any I.D's, or even bother to look at what we had claimed on the forms!
I found this to be kinda scarey! I know the cruise ship does keep customs informed of all passengers onboard, but what if? In this day and age, there are too many what if's!

I did manage to smuggel 4 extra cartons of ciggerets. I bought the 5 carton special.
Am I proud of this, NO.......But what if it had been something or someone else?
Is it just me or do others find this kinda bad? I wouldn't mind at all if customs would have found the extra cartons of smokes......take them who cares.
I wish they really would have checked. I just did not like thier relaxed additude.
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Customs

That's the way it has been on every cruise I've ever been on EXCEPT the one that we were on about 2 weeks after 9/11. And then it was just at embarkation. We got asked a lot more questions and had our Doc.s looked over more closeley.
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Gail F.

Momx4,
back in June when I left the ship for the day the machine must not of picked up the signal when I plopped the card in to get off, so getting back on the ship the alarms went off stating invalid card, letting security know I did not belong ,so instead of checking me out or looking at a liscense anything, they took my card entered into the outgoing side then back into the inside side so I could enter ,that did not make me feel very safe.
I was also very glad I did return as they had no knowlege of my being off the ship
oh well home safe and sound looking for another
Gail
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Yeoman

Gail......that was a bit scarey, but the machines do have a photo and your info put into them when you board the ship, so maybe thats all it took.
I really wish security was a bit more apparent. I know we are on vacation and don't wanna deal with it, but I like knowing everyone is doing thier job.......
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Gail F.

THATS TRUE I FORGOT ABOUT THE PHOTO PART, I THOUGHT THEY WANTED TO RUSH ME THRU AS I HAD JUST COME BACK FROM THE BEACH, AND LOOKED LIKE WHO DID IT AND RAN MY HAIR FULL OF SALTWATER AND STICKING OUT EVERYPLACE, AND THEY DID NOT WANT PEOPLE TO SEE HOW BAD I LOOKED.,THEY MUST OF FELT BAD FOR ME......
gAIL
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:52 PM
First Mate

Lol That was a good one, Yes the Photo must have looked a little like you.

Dreaming of cruising and cruising to make my dreams come true.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2