Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Male

Default Skipping the DRILL lifevest

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to know If you can skip the life vest safty drill? I was on the Carnival Destiny and durring our drill I noticed the boat accross from us was also doing the drill at the same time. I noticed the people on the other boat were in there balconys relaxing while the rest were up on deck with life vests. Let me know! Happy cruising!

Will be on the 9/12/05 Imagination!

Male
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Skipping the DRILL lifevest

you could try.......but more than likely, the room steward will check you room, find you and send you to the check point, where a lot of pissed people will be, cause they will have been waiting for you so they can finish up the whole process. Don't try to fight it,
it's way out of your control. Just go with the flow for the 10 minutes or so.
Old August 5th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Sorry to say I am guilty on this thread.My 3rd cruise,and I knew that I knew the routine,and I was going to skip this muster drill.Got me a nice glass of wine,and went out on the balcony,and pulled the drapes close behind me as I went out.Propped(?) my feet up,and got ready to relax when I was CAUGHT! ! I Felt like a kid skipping class.Nothing I could do but smile,and say is it that time already?
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Almost impossible now to ship...At each Muster Station there is a crew member marking your cabin off the list as you show up. Your cabin # is on the front of you life vest. Also your cabin attendant checks your cabin, then puts a red card in your door lock to designate vacant. If you don't show up, they will note this and you will have to attend a private one later at a more inconvienant time.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Male

TY TY TY!

Old August 5th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Can you? Sure, you may be able to hide out on the balcony or in the bathroom or get lucky and the stewards won't check the cabin. There are many instances when roll call is taken and if you aren't there you are required to make it up.

You aren't in a Hilton you are on ship that is sailing on the ocean and even though the chances of the lifeboats being launched are about 5,000,000 to 1, if they are you better know what to do and every ship is different.

"Should you" do it is a completely different story. While it may seem like a good idea at the time, why do you think they have these drills? It's in the unlikely event something does happen. It rarely does happen but when it does that one time of actually going to the place you are supposed to be can be invaluable. Just think about the instances of when people have been called to their muster stations and it has happened and all the people who panic and then complain that they didn't know what to do, the crew didn't handle things correctly, etc. I personally feel they are the ones that skip the drills or don't pay attention.

Take the 20 minutes out of your vacation, go through the drill and when it's over, start the party.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Captain

These drills are required by the Coast Guard, the cruise lines have to comply with the law...

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Please go! One thing I hate is having to WAIT in that hot vest for the ones that tried to SKIP the drill ! And,you NEVER know when you might have to use that knowledge.God forbid! Dot
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to CruisinDarlene Send a message via Yahoo to CruisinDarlene
Default Re: Re: Skipping the DRILL lifevest

I tried to hide and skip a munster drill...guess what...they found me..I suggest that you show up...since then I've been thru 6 more and they aren't that bad. It's just so freakin hot and the wait is the worst...
Darlene
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:15 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

One ship I was on, some people thought they were going to "skip" the drill....and we all waited and waited and then they appeared in bathrobes with wet hair....I guess they find you even if you are in the showers The "wet" cruisers didn't look happy....but neither were we happy to have to wait....just go...smile, make silly jokes and it will be over before you know it...

Old August 5th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

No skipping out on this ! Its all true ! They do a check list to verify every cabin.
Go ahead and go on down and get it over with. the quicker you get there, the quicker everyone can leave. And usually, the quicker you can set sail too !

Happy cruising;
david

Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Captain

On one of our cruises our tablemates skipped the life boat drill. They thought it would be fun to spend the time in a more intimate activity. How shocked and embarrased they were when the room steward walked in on them!! On top of their embarrasement, the received a very stern letter about the importance of the drills and their lack of concern for the safety of the other passengers and the crew!!

Go to the drill, and please everyone keep the noise level down so everyone can hear the instructions and it will be over as quickly as possible.

AKcruiser

Old August 5th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Admiral

Whether or not you think you need to go, go for the others who are standing there waiting to get it over with. Having to stand an extra 10-15 minutes while they try to determine who's missing, etc. isn't funny.

Just for those who like to blow the whistles on the life vests-----------
they never wash the whistles--how many mouths have those whistles been in---
and--- what all has been in those mouths that were on the whistles before your mouth?? Just something to think about.
Old August 6th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

The muster drill is mandatory, and even if you have a "do not disturb" sign on your door, the cabin steward does check. I go through the motions, but my mind is not on the drill itself. My mind is thinking about all the fun things I plan to do when the ship sets sail. The worst part is going up from the Riviera Deck to whatever deck your muster station is at. After the drill, I kinda get amnesia and forget what muster station I'm assigned to, so in case of a real emergency, I would be one of the ones panicking because I didn't pay attention during the drill.
Old August 6th, 2005, 02:31 PM
venice

there is only three things that the cruise lines require you to do..get on the ship, do the drill, get off the ship at the end..it's not asking too much to attend the drill

It's like people on the airplane that ignore the flight attendant's safety drill..they are the first one's to panic in an emergency

it's part of the process and a great way to see who else is on your cabin level early in the cruise (i.e. the cabin next to you, any large amounts of females,males etc)
Old August 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Familiar Face

Want to make tons of new friends your first couple of hours on? Then don't go or come late to the monster drill (called by my 8 yr.), they others that have been therre with their life vests on around their necks, in the sun and on time, love you folks that mess it up for the rest of us. And cause us to wait even longer in the sun bc you thought the rules didn't apply to you?!

I am sure you will have many new friends, I promise! Try it!
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Gail F.

some of these muster drills make for nice photos in your new photo album!
Gail
Old August 7th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Why would anyone want to miss it? This is set up, to save your life, if necessary.It is sure not set up to display the new Life saver fashions.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 7th, 2005, 04:13 PM
First Mate

Just do it! The sooner everyone is accounted for the sooner you can get back to your vacation. They don't take long at all!
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Admiral

I absolutely HATE the muster drills! I have been on two dozen cruise ships in the last ten years. I spent 7 year in the United States Navy, and I have physical problems that make it very difficult to stand in one area for any lenght of time much less have a hot lifejacket on. I also know exactly what to do anyway if a problem should happen because I have looked at the deck plans and escape routes.

With all that said the question arises if I go to these muster drills and the answer is an definate YES! I would not even consider missing one and should I see someone trying to find a way out of it I will tell him/her what a fool they are. I honestly think that anyone who has not been in the US Navy should attend a drill every day and even those who have served should refresh themselves at least twice. It is that important should the stuff hit the fan. What you learn may well save your life and the life of your loved ones. Go, endure, and listen to every word.
Jim

Old August 7th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Amen, Jim!!!!

Old August 7th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Passenger

Go. Sometimes the Fashion Statements are remarkable. Thongs and Life Jackets are really funny looking.

Besides, you may not get a second chance to find out what to do.

(BTW. on the MSC Opera last year, the Muster Station Assistant, who was responsible for counting had on his vest "A$$. CHECKER" Best laugh of the week.)
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:24 AM
DENISE H

on your last cruise there was man at muster drill without his life jacket they made
go get his life jacket
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Boni

Default Re: Re: Skipping the DRILL lifevest

I'm one of those people who pays attention to EVERYTHING the flight attendants say in regards to safety instructions, I don't care how many times I've heard it. I even make sure to find the nearest exit on the flight. I wil listen to EVERYTHING the muster drill person instructs me too! I wonder if they would've had the same type of drill on the Titanic, more people would've been saved. Just in case I'M GOING TO BE PREPARED and not only go but I'm going to listen to EVERYWORD.