Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2005, 11:39 AM
First Mate

Default Carnival Conquest

Hi:

Anyone been on the Carnival Conquest and what did you think of her? Thinking of booking for next year, RT New Orleans, and was just looking for some opinions on this cruise. It's a 7 day Western Itinerary. We're not new to Carnival, but we've never cruised from New Orleans before.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Happy Cruising...Buddy
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Conquest

Me too - need info - booked for March 5th - when are you going Buddy? What is the weather like in NO in late Feb. early March? Is NO really a wreck just after Mardi Gras?

ttfn Jennfier
Old August 6th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Passenger

Am booked on the Conquest Nov 27. Am also no stranger to Carnival, but what I have read about the ship, it sounds great. Also, found a rate I thought was reasonable.

Will be glad to write a review when I get back. I really need a vacation!
Old August 6th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

I like cruising out of New Orleans because its only 3 hrs from home. New Orleans has alot to see and do, if you've never been there. Tons of good food too !

The Conquest, - the wife and I sailed on her in 2003. This was our 25'th wedding Aniversary cruise. She is a huge beautiful ship ! We had a wonderful cruise, and great service ! No complants here !
Book your cruise, you won't regret it ! As far as the weather, you never know ! I've seen it 70 degrees, and I've seen it in the 40's and raining ! Thats one thing about the south, if you don't like the weather today, just hang on, it will change soon.

Happy cruising;
david

Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Bmaintz

We did the Conquest (our first) Nov. 2003 & going again this year on Oct. 30th..... We were totally happy with the ship, very clean & great food..... Parking at New Orleans a little pricey if you are driving in, we had our daughter drop us off & pick us up at the terminal (used cellulars to cordinate the exact time we could be picked up.....
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

We have cruised out of New ORleans 4 times - mainly because of convenience (2 hours away), but this last time went out of Galveston and it was great because you got to the blue water quicker. :-) Anyway, the Conquest was a beautiful ship - beautiful layout and wonderful service - however, I prefer the Elation class of ships better. Those ships have a much larger deck spot as compared to conquest and what I like is sitting on the back of the ship watching the water. You can't do that on the Conquest. Also, the gala buffet was, in my opinion, rated a 2 out of 10 stars as it was in the Lido deck and about 1/3 the size of the others. Would I travel her? Yep, sure would - but we each have out own opinions of the different ships.
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:06 AM
First Mate

Send a message via ICQ to Cynda

We were on the Conquest in October 04...had a wonderful trip! You have made a great choice : )

Read the ship reviews, reader reviews, gives lots of good information.
Old August 7th, 2005, 09:17 AM
clem

We cruised on the Conquest in 2003. Had a great cruise. Great service. Wonderful food...not one complaint.
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:16 PM
R&S

We're going on a Conquest New Years cruise Dec 31, 2006. (Since it is over a year away I probably shouldn't ask who else is going...at least not yet)

I can't wait to sail on the Conquest. The entire family is very excited about going. Let us know what you think Buddy after you return.

Old August 7th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the comments folks - now i'm even more excited (if that's possible lol).

ttfn Jennifer
Old August 7th, 2005, 09:50 PM
cali-croozer

Sailed the Conquest in June.........our 5th Carnival cruise and our best ever (and we were even in an inside room for the first time!). The other cruises were great, but the Conquest, because of it's size, has just so much more to do. The cruise director, Todd, was awesome! Be sure to participate in the Mardi Gras deck party (and the pre-party beforehand.......kinda corny but gets you in the mood!). It took a while to get used to the deck layout and what set of elevators to use (as you can't go from end to end on some of the decks because the restaurants are in the way); of course, it took my kids just a couple of hours to figure it out! If you don't need to be right at the pool, you can find a chair. We didn't run into any big crowds in the buffet either. The only really crowded area was where you look for your pictures to buy! We really enjoyed the piano bar; the pianist/singer has moved onto another ship, but be sure to check it out anyway. And, stay there at least 30 minutes to see if the scene is for you (we never thought we'd enjoy it, but ended up in their almost every night!). If the ventriloquist/comedian is still there, be sure to go to his show, especially the early (family) show.

have a great time!
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Chris64

Also sailed the Conquest back in June, and thought it was GREAT!

Everything from cabin steward to dining room service was superb. You'll love it!

Chris
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Bmaintz

Will Todd be there in November as CD.???
Old August 8th, 2005, 04:02 PM
amirelesc@mchsi.com

Hi:

Thanks to all your replies. I've read really good reviews of this ship except for the fact that the pools are very small. Did you find that to be true? We're bringing grandkids who are teenagers and I wanted nice pools for them to swim in. This may not be a big deal to some people, but we all love to swim and if the pools are small, I'll probably book another cruise.

Thanks....

Happy Cruising....Buddy
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Dr J

We went on Conquest from NO on the inaugural cruise 2 yrs ago.

I'm sure things have changed but we liked the ship a lot. While it was booked full it didn't seem any more or less crowded than any other cruise.

Out of NO the ship takes quite a while to hit open sea; maybe 5-6 hours, same on the return. The terminal is well done and next to the shopping arcade.

The entertainment staff was really first class. Back then it was the guy with the parrot. Sorry, forgot his name. He was very visible and I had drinks with him and his assistants many a late night. The food was very good and teh late night fare above average. We've done NCL and Holland America and find Carnival above average and a good value.

The Conquest can be very fast. When we headed out of Grand Cayman one passenger got ill and the ship turned around to get him to the hospital. Once underway again the ship was doing 30+ knots to make up for lost time. I had a GPS device to measure it but passengers could tell that we were moving a lot faster than normal.

Unfortunately the weather was not all that great in January and even Cozumel was cold and overcast. When we got back to NO it was about 30F! The pool roof was retracted almost the whole cruise and helped make upo for the lack of sun and warm air.

We made a lot of friends on that cruise and it was pretty enjoyable overall. We are west coasters and found most of the cruisers were mid west and east coast. The variety was fun for us.

We're now planning a Carnival cruise next summer.
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:15 PM
cali-croozer

About the pools, all ships have small pools. They are cool and refreshing, but not really for doing laps. However, the Conquest has a great slide! Your grandkids should have a great time despite the pools being small. Remember, they will have ample opportunity to swim in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica!
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to StaceyL Send a message via AIM to StaceyL Send a message via MSN to StaceyL Send a message via Yahoo to StaceyL
Default Re: Carnival Conquest -10/2

I'm so excited to hear all the great things about this ship!! We are from N. Tx and were concidering the Elation from Galveston. In fact, put a roll call out there, but our friends and our children wanted to go on a big ship this trip (fourth Carnival cruise).

I'm happy to hear there is a good "flow" to the ship since there are so many people on it. I can't wait.

Can anyone give me a review of the latenight pizza? I have some teenagers that love to eat. They're really looking forward to the many food choices.

It sounds like deck space is available if the pool isn't required. That's nice too.

Someone mentioned parking is expensive. Any estimates?

Thanks for the help!

Happy cruising!
Tropical
Destiny
Celebration
RCI Rhapsody
NCL Sea
Conquest

Old August 8th, 2005, 11:39 PM
cali-croozer

Stacy........the pizza is like on the other Carnival ships; the only difference is it's actually outside, near the back pool (at the end of the buffet area). That area has the retractable (sp??) cover, so at night, it's like you are still inside. There's also a bar there so your teens can get pizza and soda at night (as well as the soft serve ice cream). We also enjoyed the deli! Great ruebens (I like wheat bread, not rye....they'll make it your way). My son had a turkey sandwich almost every day! Be sure to leave some dollar bills in a drawer in your cabin so your teens can order room service.....some good munchie selections there too----tell them to order more than one serving of the cookies or brownies though because they are small.

Deck chairs/lounges........like I said, you can find one if you aren't too picky. There were always a few stacks of lounge chairs around the deck that you could grab one from. We actually enjoyed some peace and quiet on deck 3 (I think that's the deck).........the deck with the purser and shore excursion desks. They have padded chairs there and shade. There's a bar inside, so grab the drink of the day and relax! PS........we found the drink of the day to be the strongest at that bar.

Parking? Not sure; we didn't need it. Try looking up the port of New Orleans website for details. I also read, but am not certain, that the Holiday Inn Select, Convention Center offers free parking. That might be the way to go.
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM
chyna_c

I have been in New Orleans twice both in December in 2001 and 2002 and the weather was COLD both times.
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:01 AM
David E

Hey folks. We just got offf Conquest last Sunday and I wanted to issue a word to the wise. If you have a cabin on deck six, carefully look at your proximity to the high noise areas on deck five (disco, karaokee, Degas). The speakers for those areas are mounted on the ceilings, in other words your floor. You will not be able to sleep before 2 or 3 AM unless your are sedated. It literally rattles the glasses on the bar. I highly recomend getting off the upper deck (deck 6) ASAP (i.e. change your reservation). Our ship was full and they would not alter the lounge activities so we could sleep. We slowly suffered from sleep deprivation and returned exhausted and tired. I also understand that being under the pool area will wake you from the crew moving chairs on deck. Also bring a glycolized air freshener, the bug spray they use is nasty and it is sprayed before every port of call. Aside from that, it was basically loads of fun and good to descent food. Yaw have fun. To contact me, remove the X.
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to StaceyL Send a message via AIM to StaceyL Send a message via MSN to StaceyL Send a message via Yahoo to StaceyL
Default Re: Re: Carnival Conquest

Great info, Cali-Croozer! Thanks for the tips!!

David E, I'm glad to hear about the noise factor on that deck.. I will keep that in mind. Sorry to hear that it caused you to need a vacation after your vacation. bummer.

Can't wait. Only 37 more work days 'till then. woohoo!
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Cruise, J.D.

Conquest was great! Wife and I sailed on her in April. Make sure to spend a day or two in New Orleans and have a great time!
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:28 AM
clem

OK...the pools are small...you can get in and out, but you are not going to "swim" in them. The best time for this is when everyone else is out doing an excursion on land. We came back to the ship early in Jamaica, and had the pools to ourselves!

As for the pizza....in the words on my teenagers..."it was much better on the Conquest than it was on the Yoyager. Same for the hamburgers and things at The Grill." We liked the food on the Lido deck buffet better than Royal too!
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:48 PM
SE

Sailed the Conquest Dec. 04. NO was hot as anything. Waiting to get checked in was a pain and we were sweating our tushes off. There was no air under the overhang & you went from waiting outside to get inside, getting your card, then waiting on the outside again to get to the horrid chairs. The warehouse with the chairs was pretty stuffy too.
The Conquest was awesome though. The slide was closed a few times because of wind, & the pools are small, but you're really only going in the pools to get wet not really swim. Although there was a pool that we were at and only 1 or 2 people were in it, so you could probably do some really short laps if you wanted.
The pizza was delicious, not only can you get pizza but they will make garlic bread and some other things as well.
Getting to the dining rooms was a bit tricky, but there are short cuts, we found them though at the end of the trip.
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Bob Y

We sailed on the Conquest March 7, 2004 as my son had his wedding on the ship. About 20 of the 40 people at the wedding sailed with us. We were blessed with beautiful weather the whole trip - 60's in NO, then 75-90 degrees in the ports of call. This was our second cruise, the first with Carnival and the first to the Caribbean.
We really enjoyed the ship, went on the shore excursions, ate dinner in the Monet dining room each night, and participated in many of the ship's activities. Traffic on the Conquest flowed easily and I didn't notice too much congestion with two exceptions, leaving the main theatre after a show and trying to get a seat at a blackjack table(this one is a problem on every ship from what I hear).
The staff was excellent, attentive, and friendly. The food was good and our balcony cabin on the Upper deck was great. Our trip to NO from north Texas and the boarding process went smoothly.
I could use up a few pages detailing the cruise, but overall we had a great time and the weather cooperated, making this a great winter getaway for us. One hint, book your Stingray City tour in Grand Cayman with Capt Bryan separately from the ship. The water was slighly rough when we were there and the ship-booked excursions were cancelled. Ours wasn't and it was cheaper also. The stingrays were great and I'm glad we didn't miss that.

Bob Y