CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Orient Beach or Divi Little Bay Beach (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/205038-orient-beach-divi-little-bay-beach.html)

Joie August 8th, 2005 01:48 PM

Orient Beach or Divi Little Bay Beach

We are on the Glory this November...has anyone any info between the preferences of these 2 excursions? I guess you can do Orient Beach on your own, and the Divi Little Bay is a beach and BBQ that Carnival sells. Anyone have any input ?

Tweety August 8th, 2005 04:15 PM

Re: Orient Beach or Divi Little Bay Beach

Both are nice beaches, just different. Orient Beach is very commercial and you might have nude sightings there since there is a nude beach way down the end. Just FYI in case that is offensive to you. Me I personally prefer Dawn Beach which is not quite as commercial as Orient Beach and has a great beachside restaurant and bar. But no matter which you choose, you should have an enjoyable day.

Just as another FYI, you can do St Maarten on your own quite easily. We usually rent a car if we are gonna be doing several different things or a taxi works great too.

Joie August 9th, 2005 01:52 PM

thanks for the reply..........do they drive on the left or right there?

Tweety August 9th, 2005 02:12 PM

They do it correctly. They drive on the right just like we do in the US. There were two traffic lights in St Maarten when we were there last and one of them didn't work. So watch at the intersections. It seems the locals figure if they blow their horn they have the right of way. It's TOOT and GO there! LOL Enjoy

cruisequeen August 9th, 2005 03:17 PM

We are planning to rent a car in St. Maarten as well. Anything we should know about the traffic laws or rules that may be unusual?

BoosterMom August 9th, 2005 05:13 PM

We just rented a Jeep in St. Maarten the week of July 24. BestDeals or BestCar, something like that. They were wonderful. They drive on the side that we do, lots of horn blowing there..........I don't remember traffic lights because there was always some traffic, especially in the downtown shopping area. Wonderful shopping and the beach is right through the buildings and a pretty view from there. The parking isn't good there. We drove all over and the French side is just beautiful. If we had it to do over, the turn in site for BestCars is fairly near the shopping district. Rather than find a place to park and then shop, I'd turn in car, have them drop me off for shopping and see if I couldn't convince them to come back and pick me up later. If not, I'd just catch a taxi back to ship. Wonderful friendly people there. I'll go back to St. Maarten anyday!

Hint, there is a Shell Station that we found while driving around. On Dutch side because everything was priced in guilders even though they convert it to U.S. D. They had the cleanest restrooms and a little sandwich bar like Subway where the wonderful ladies there made us sub sandwiches and a fellow outside pumped our gas!!!! Can you tell I loved St. Maarten??

Larry77 August 15th, 2005 08:08 PM

WE sailed the Glory last May and went to Orient beach. Orient was great. You can rent a cab as soon as you leave the ship. More than likely, others will be going and you can share the cab fare. We stayed at Kakao, which is very close to Club Orient. There's chair rental and food available.
Orient was probably the most fun place we visited on the entire 7 day cruise.

Panda August 28th, 2005 09:16 PM

Hi DH. and I went to Orient last year LOVED IT!!! We found a guy that gave us the chairs, one free drink and unbrella for only $7.00 Plus he was standing right by his chairs all day watching every ones things so no one bothered our things. Also the cab driver came back at the time we asked hin to and picked us up and took us back to town, We liked that idea, no waiting for another cab. Funny story we saw one of the dinning room waitress on the beach topless, she was right behind us on the beach. She was serving the tables next to ours so every time she walked by us my DH would watch her. I told him it was over now get over it.. Ha Ha!! Loves the beach and snorkled , no big waves and water so clear.. Panda

WSEA August 29th, 2005 08:45 PM

Re: Re: Orient Beach or Divi Little Bay Beach

Please tell us MORE about "KATAO"! Why was it "...the most fun...?" We'd like to try a new place at Orient Beach so your help would be appreciated! WSEA

neil sapolsky August 30th, 2005 06:05 PM

Just got back from the Victory and we went to Divi Beach. We did it on our own and only spent $56 (including cabfare and 2 drinks for wife and I and soft drinks for kids). Family we wre with spent $190 for the same thing except had the buffet. We dont't think it was worth $130 for the buffet. Cabs are waiting right out side the port to take you to Divi. Snorlking, waverunners and bannana boats are available on the beach. Have fun

Tink63 August 30th, 2005 06:19 PM

Re: Re: Orient Beach or Divi Little Bay Beach

Were there lockers there for rent?