Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Captain

Default Druged & raping new brides??

A friend of mine has seen news stories (FOX News) that there were new brides being druged & raped on some criuse ships...... My daughter is taking her honeymoon in June so I am concerned to say the least.... Has anyone seen the news reports & if so what cruise line & ships..... Thanks, Bob

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Re: Druged & raping new brides??

You know, I don't know about cruise ships, but I can tell you what we tell our students. Don't ever leave whatever you are drinking, out of your sight. It is easy to drop something in it while you are not paying attention, or dancing. They wait until it starts to take affect, and then your all there's. It is called Ecstasy for those who are not up on your drug names. This is good advice for anyone these days who go out in public. It is also used for drugging people in order to rob them.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 13th, 2005, 06:18 PM
tish

Oh yes.. for heaven's sake, never ever ever leave your drink unattended!! Ever ever! and never let someone other than the bartender get you a drink, regardless of where you are: ship, bar, club.

While the news channels like to constantly scare people with such horror stories, and I am sure it has happened to a bride somewhere, let's be real: ANY one, particularly women, are possible targets for this kind of thing, and not just on a cruise ship. Believe me. I hate to see people freak out and cancel plans because of these stories when the truth is, it can happen anywhere.

Just tell your daughter and new son in law to be very careful about sitting drinks down unattended. If they happen to, get a new one. Also, signs to look for of "date rape" drug (GHB, and I think another name that escapes me now) is sudden lethargy, incoherence. It's like the person has suddenly gotten drunk to the tenth degree, whereas a few minutes before they were fine. It happens that fast. Get medical help right away and of course, call security. Also, and I hate to say this, try not to get too trusting of strangers. Unfortunately, you just never know.

Do not get me started on the vile losers that do this kind of thing. Personally, I think the death penalty is in order in these cases.

Anyway, please don't let this worry you or your daughter! It's just a piece of common sense that they'll have to live with. I just got back, and I never worried -- haha, of course I *never* even put my drinks down the whole time!

They will have a great time! I'd bet money on it. No worries!

Old August 13th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Admiral

None of this is true and I watch Fox all the time and have never seen anything like that said. You friend is at best mistaken, at worst....well, you figure that out, he is your 'friend'. I also talk to the security people, CD's and people in the home office of this line and I have never heard of any such thing. Have there been some lawsuits, yes. But they are very few and far between and so far not one seems to have any truth in it. They actually settled one for an un-disclosed amount which I understand was at least 6 figures but I know the crewman that was accused and there is no way and the story was really completly impossible to have happened. I was quite upset and wish they had taken the couple to court and shown what liars they were and counter-sued them. Even though they had no money the principal of it just ticked me off.
Jim

Old August 13th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Paul Tracy

It is Fox news after all. They are famous for exaggerating and sensationalizing things. Search the net for verified cases at reputable news agencies such as the AP or Reuters.
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:48 PM
TampaFLGal

Thanks Jim for clearing this up, it kinda had that "urban legend" sound to it to me...but I think the others give good advice, never leave a drink unattended ANYWHERE land or sea!
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:17 PM
tish

Jim:

I wouldn't put it past this story being on the "news" at all, actually. Whether or not this news is being mis-presented in some way, or otherwise something to freak out about, however, is another story. Urban legends abound these days. Years ago my dad almost refused to "let" me go to New Orleans because he'd heard of a friend of a friend etc. that had their kidneys removed and shipped off to the black market somewhere after the victim had been drugged and left in a bathtub of ice. Sound familiar? My kidneys are still just fine (well, they're still in my body, at least!) Check out snopes.com sometime. Amazing!

The real point being, Bob W., is to just be aware that there are, in fact, drugs out there that can cause the devastating effects that the news reports say. That part is, sadly, true. And there are "people" willing to use them for whatever reason. But do I think it's even likely that this would happen to you or anyone you know, ever? No. And I doubt a threat like this would ever come from a crew member. The crew are usually from countries that are, let's just say, less priveledged than the US, Canada, the UK, etc., and I can't imagine that "that" is what is on their minds. Theft, even. I can't imagine it's worth it for them. Just my opinion.

Please don't worry yourself over it! And don't not "let" your daughter have the time of her life on her honeymoon!!

Old August 13th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Fox news seems to have degenerated to the levels of Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, etc.
Take anything you see on their show with a large grain of salt.
I'm sure crime happens from time to time on a cruise ship but I seriously doubt it is of major proportions. If you consider the several thousands that cruise each week, the tens of thousands that cruise each month and the millions that cruise each yeac, I'm sure any large city would be tickled pink to have their low crime stats.
Using a litle common sense pays off be it on a cruise ship or at a Walmart parking lot.
In 24 cruises on 5 different lines, the only crime I personally know of was a friends camera disappeared on Celebrity's " Horizon ". He left it on deck one night by the pool area.
Relax, cruise if you can and don't worry about the rumor mongers.
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Captain

Thanks everyone, FOX must be trying to sell commercials as normal.... I did do a search on "Google News" & came up with very little.... My daughter just became a black belt & her future hubby is a black belt to the 2nd degree, so as long as they use common sense they should be OK.... Thanks again... Bob

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old August 13th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

The way some people carry on when they're aboard a cruise ship, you wouldn't need to drug them in order to rape them or do them some kind of harm. I've seen single women, including teens, get so drunk on the ship that they have totally lost all sense of what's appropiate behavior and even become totally disoriented. When people drink themselves into that kind of condition they should not be surprised later to learn that bad things happened to them.

Grandeur of the Seas
Old August 13th, 2005, 09:51 PM
whatever!!

Default Re: Re: Druged & raping new brides??

Yuyi64:

Wow! Yes, I guess they "asked" for it, then. Any female that leaves the house that day seems to be "asking" for it. Sorry, but I'm just tired of that nonsense justification, or whatever it is, that getting drunk, wearing certain clothes, showing your ankles, etc. entitles you to be robbed, raped, abused. Whatever. I guess I'm a too liberal.

Also sorry to get totally off topic and sinister on this board, but i"m also tired of simple minds searching for the way to blame a victim as opposed to putting the blame where it lies (lay?) It's probably easier when you're weak to get made at the easy target. There's always some reason for being violated if you're too lazy to see what's really going on. I happen to like to get silly drunk with my girls, but would never think that a possibility is waking up pregnant or disease ridden because of it. I just never would think that's the price I pay for having a good time. Like men do. Whatever.
Old August 13th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Familiar Face

I agree with you "Whatever" about the fact that no one deserves to be a Victim, no matter what they do. You are absolutely right.

But why do you need to get so drunk that you don't remember what happened to "have a good time"?

Larry

Valor Jan 8, 2006
Triumph May 12 2007
Triumph November 3,2007
Liberty November 22, 2008
Miracle March 4, 2010
Glory Jan 16, 2011
Spirit Sept 11, 2012
Fascination September 22, 2014 Kansas Concert, Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay
Old August 14th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

You seem to miss the whole point, "whatever!!" Getting "silly drunk" as you put it is not a justifcation for rape or other foul play, but rather an explanation as to why some of the passengers get themselves in situations beyond their control. It's time for everyone, including the targets of these assaults, to accept personal responsibility for their behavior aboard a ship filled with 2000+ strangers, some of whom may not be exactly model citizens back home. I guess you are "too liberal" if you fail to see the connection between drinking excessively and these unfortunate occurrances. And I agree with Midozolam: Why do you feel the need to get so drunk in order to have a good time? Sounds to me like just another "justification" for not accepting responsibility for your personal safety and well-being.

Grandeur of the Seas
Old August 14th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Okay folks, take a breath already. NObody said anyone ever deserved to be raped or 'asked for it'. What was said is that they sometimes over-indulged and lost there sense of morals and did things that they later regretted as in consensual. I am a gentleman and would never condon even this action but that is another subject.
In addition, this 'friend' said he say it on Fox, not that it actually was. I watch Fox all the time and have never seen such a story or anything close to it. I did see an 'expose' on I think one of CBS's 'news' shows like Dateline or 60 minutes or something like that. It seems that there might be a little 'political' slamming of Fox considering that they do not go along with the "Big three" in the liberal media and report both sides from what I have seen. You cannot change anyones mind and really should not try. Let people deciede themselves if what they watch is 'Fair & Balanced" or not. <G>
Jim

Old August 15th, 2005, 05:18 AM
bjkeen

I have FOX News in my area and I have not seen this report. Although, I will say that anytime you are on vacation with anywhere from 2,000 to 4,000 strangers you must keep your safety in mind. It is true that rapes do happen on ships. I don't have the stats. but I have read them before.

Your safety is your business. I always warn my teenagers about venturing into someone elses cabin, never letting there cup leave their eye sight, and walking alone in the hallways. I feel more comfortable with the buddy system. Cruise ships are like floating resorts. If you were on land would you trust all of the other patrons? Not me. I am there to have fun, but safety is always in the back of my mind. I also make my dd dress more conservatively on the ships. You have to remember that the employees aboard the ship sign on at different locations all over the world. I don't want my dd giving them the wrong impression by the way she dresses, nor do I want the employees taking advantage of my dd. I can't say what the procedure is today, but I know in the past if a rape occurred the offender was dumped off at the next port. I have had crew members hit on me in the past. At the time I thought it was kind of strange that a crew member would approach a Mom, and speak to her in a friendly manner like you would if you were trying to pick someone up. I have also meet crew members who were totally above board and never said anything out of line. So I guess we have to consider the sourse. I've never read or heard about any new brides being drugged and raped aboard a cruise ship.
Old August 15th, 2005, 07:04 AM
First Mate

Even if it is just fabricated by Fox news I guess it is a good reminder to all of us. Just be aware of your surroundings, guard your drinks, and use common sense. Go and have a good time. Been on 3 cruises, one with my daughter and a friend and we had no trouble being 3 women alone so your daughter will be fine with her husband. Happy Wedding!!!!!!
Old August 15th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Easy Goer

Bob,

I believe your friend saw a segment on The O'Reilly Factor (Fox) earlier this month dealing with crime on cruise ships, though not "drugging and raping" per se. The guest was Charles Harris, former security chief for Carnival. Mr. Harris painted a pretty dismal picture, speaking of routine cleansing of crime scenes, on orders of the captain, so no investigations could be done.

A partial transcript is on the Fox website:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164478,00.html

Tim
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Admiral

So now we are going to "Fox news reported" to "Even if it was fabricated by Fox News" to "they said something about crime scenes on O'Reilly". What happened to maybe the friend was wrong and Fox News never said any such thing! Many people, including myself have stated that they watch Fox News often and have never seen anything about brides or anyone else being raped or drugged! Not one person has been able to say that they personally saw anything about this on Fox News. Let us not slam ANY news program without first hand knowledge.
Jim

Old August 15th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Outside of the Cruisemates Bulletin Boards, Fox news is the most fair and balanced source I have been able to find.
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla

Just tell your daughter to stay near her hubbie at all times and they will BOTH be fine! Oh and G.H.B. is what seems to be making a comeback rather than ecstacy, when it somes to drugging people. I have arrested a few people, and GHB seems to be the method..ecstacy when taken makes people hyper and touchy feely, GHB is what knocks a person out. Take the great advice of people on here and just make sure to tell your daughter...AND son in law..to always watch their drinks..as for me, mine get drank so fast the person wuldnt get to my cup in time haha... happy cruising all
COME ON OCT 30TH!!! VICTORY ALL THE WAY

Old August 16th, 2005, 05:15 AM
bkeen

FOX News had a report that was on in my area last night. It was about the groom that was murdered on a cruise ship. My Dad watched it. He promised to give me a full report today.
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:02 PM
pastordon

I love Fox news. It is by far the most balanced news on cable. Of course they will hype stories to get a larger audience,but I also get news stories that the completely liberal press won't cover. Fox has its conservatives and its liberals and I like making up my own mind.
Inregards to the initial issue here, you can't be to careful anytime you are in public places these days, but I feel much safer on cruise ships than just about any other entertainment venue.
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Male

you only find trouble on a cruise if your looking for it...my opinion. Fox news is GREAT!
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Ok back to the subject here, my cousin was drugged in Cancun and she was with her husband. She didn't leave her drink so maybe the bartender was in on it or another staff member so yes it does, happen. She was not raped or robbed, but started to act real strange and unlike her self, she later became violently ill and threw up the entire night and recalled very little the next day. I do belive this is something to be careful of. Perhaps she should have had a blood test done by the ships doctor ? I think they may have given her liquid G which is similar to cleaning fluid, and does not mix with alcohol and has no taste when mixed. Or maybe it was X or Rohipnol the date rape drug. This is a big reason I don't drink, oh yes and it happened to me once in a bar in Chicago and since I was drinking straight Cranberry juice I knew instantly. It also happened to my ex boyfriend another time. We were all very lucky nothing really bad happened but it makes you mad that someone would do this sort of thing. They should sell pills you can drop in your drink that turn color if there is a trace of drugs in them cause other wise you don't know till it's too late.
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Admiral

There is not gty while ashore. OPnboard a ship that would not happen. One of the biggest fears any crewman has is that some passenger will scream sexual harassment and that would cause him to lose his job that probably supports not only himslef and immediate family, but other relatives as well. This is one of the biggest reasons why you know you are safe around staff.
Jim

Old August 17th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Male

I heard dropping a couple drops of visine will also make you very sick for a day...and some do put it in your drink on purpose...
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Passenger

They should sell pills you can drop in your drink that turn color if there is a trace of drugs in them cause other wise you don't know till it's too late.

Showcat. There are coasters that have indicators in them to test for Rohipnol and G. Not sure where to get them or the cost. Several bars in Chicago were using them about 4 years ago when Rohipnol was VERY popular and accessible.

BTW, Rohipnol supposedly has always been fairly easy to obtain in Mexico. (I think it is used as a Veterinary anesthetic.)

But pay attention and have a good time.
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Isn't it a sad world that people can care so little about another human being's well being that they can do something so disgusting and heinous without any conscience at all...

Disgusting! But I guess that is the reality of things...be smart and don't let anyone mess w/your drink.....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Photo

We have been on 5 cruised leaving from new york, norfolk, port canaveral and from miami Have never heard of this going on. Some time peoplr get under the"alkafluence
of inchol" as a person said one day.. People have to learn as above, NEVER leave
and drink, weather alcohol, soda, juice or even milk alone beacuse somebody may spoil your day.
BE care ful what you do , and if someone you dont know is following dont go to your room go to the percers desk or find a security person. BE SAFE AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!
Bob
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Sea Queen

All this talk about Fox "News" reminds me of a documentary I caught a glimpse of a few days ago called The Corporation. I only saw last part of it but even that was very informative. I think you will find it this documentary to be a very eye-opening experience.

Gail