Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Bernadette

Default question about toddlers

Does anyone know what kind of strollers Carnival rents out on the ships? My nephew is 19 months old and my sister is wondering if the strollers are the ones that you rent at the mall/theme parks or if they are the nice fabric comfortable ones that he can nap in. Is it worth it to leave hers home or should she lug it with her? Also do they have pool floats for toddlers? Leaving on the Inspiration in 9 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:15 AM
s langham

Default Re: question about toddlers

I can't answer the stroller question, but I don't believe there would be any pool floats available. I'm assuming you're talking about "floaties" (as my family calls them), which inflate around the upper arms of a small child to keep them afloat.

Since Carnival doesn't allow children in the pool unless they're potty trained, your nephew (@ 19 months) would not be allowed in.

skl
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Admiral

I searched the brochure and CCL website and didn't find any info on stroller rentals. I have never seen any for rent or heard of this service. I would bring an umbrella stroller because it would take up less room in the cabin and for its convenience. As posted above, children must be toilet trained to use the pools. No diapers, swimmy diapers included, are allowed in the pool for safety and health reasons. I have seen people bring their own little blow up pool (bring a bucket too) for the little one. They are probably on summer sales right now.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 20th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Captain

We rented a Carnival stroller for my niece a few years ago. It costs $25.00 for the entire cruise and was very comfortable.

While it's true that non-potty trained children are not allowed in the pools, that seems to be one of the rules that is not widely enforced. We have seen many babies in swim diapers on all our summertime cruises. Just be sure to bring your own floaties as Carnival does not provide them.
Old August 20th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Beginner

Why encourage something you know is not allowed? If you "had seen" many babies in swim diapers in the pool then you should have said something and enforced the rules not looked the other way. Have you ever seen anyone with E. coli infection? It is not a fun thing to experience. E. coli can make a person very ill and by overlooking the situation you endangered you, your family and other passengers. You could have politely asked that the child be removed and explained the reasons. With all the fear of the Norwalk virus going around cruise ships, this is also a serious situation. It might sound harsh for the little ones not being allowed in the pool, but health is very important to everyone.
Old August 20th, 2005, 04:16 PM
bjkeen

I have never seen a stroller on a cruise ship. Actually, I have never seen a child that young on a cruise.
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Captain

I did not say anything because I do not have a problem with babies in swim diapers and because it is not my job to enforce Carnival's rules. I believe that this rule is an over-reaction to the Norwalk virus hype and does little to protect anyone. Norwalk is just as common on land as it is on cruiseships, yet every land-based pool that I have ever been to allows babies in swim diapers. I see no reason why cruiseships should be any different (despite popular belief, cruiseship pools ARE chlorinated).

If you think the rule should be enforced, then by all means, say something when you see the babies in the pool, but for me, I'd rather spend my time watching the little ones have fun and not being the self-appointed pool police.
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Luv2cruise - there is a big difference between Norwalk and E-Coli infection....E-Coli can KILL someone! And guess what - swimmies do NOT hold everything that is in them........you want to take a chance with your health, fine....but don't you dare endanger my health or the health of others. And chlorinated water does not kill E-Coli........many incidences of E-Coli infections have occured in chlorinated pools when someone had a leaky swimmie! And you know who usually are the victims? Other little kids!

Old August 20th, 2005, 11:03 PM
BoosterMom

The only strollers I have seen on Carnival ships were brought on my passengers. I saw Carnival issued wheelchairs, but I didn't see any Carnival issued strollers. I guess some people just prefer their own.

As to the toddlers swimming........feel strongly that children in diapers should not be allowed in pools. I don't allow them in my own. We have a friend who child just about died from one of the water park "infestations" of e-coli................I didn't see anyone putting a toddler in the pool I was in this summer, but if I had, I would have said something to the parents.........If there is something you feel strongly about, you should speak up................
Old August 20th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Captain

Yes, I understand that there is a difference between E. Coli and Norwalk. I also understand that thousands upon thousands of babies swim in pools across the country everyday. Yes, occasionally you do hear of outbreaks (whether they were caused by diaper-clad babies or something else is never known. And even if they were caused by diapers, was it regular diapers or swim diapers? There is a big difference!) but they are few and far between. All in all, the chances of dying from a diaper-clad baby using a swimming pool is pretty miniscule. I know to the people it happens to, it is a tragedy. But that can be said about anytime a person dies from an unexpected accident whatever the cause. We can't ban every activity that could possibly lead to death or else we would all never leave our homes.

A few years ago a child in my hometown died when he tripped over his shoe laces and hit his head on the ground while running on the school playground. A freak accident that probably had a statistically non-existent chance of ever happening again. Yet, the school board immediately over-reacted and tried to ban everything from shoes with laces to running at recess. I don't see banning swim diapers from swimming pools as too much different. In both cases we have a statistically insignificant danger leading to overly-restrictive rules and prohibitions.

Yes, the cruiselines have rules against swim diapers, but you asked me why I didn't say something or ask that the children be removed. The reason is that I don't agree with those rules and do not feel that it is my place to enforce them. If people want to bring their babies into the pool, that's fine by me. I enjoy watching them splash and have fun. If the cruiselines wish to enforce their rule, that is their right and I have no problem with it. However, I will continue to tell anyone who asks about allowing their baby to swim to go ahead and give it a try. Chances are they will not be asked to leave.
Old August 21st, 2005, 01:22 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

So you believe that you can pick and choose which rules should be followed and which should be ignored?

Old August 21st, 2005, 02:19 AM
Captain

I have never met anyone in this life who does not do some picking and choosing as to which rules they wish to follow blindly and which they wish to ignore. Some are just more honest at admitting it than others.

That being said, I didn't say that I didn't follow the rule. My two toddlers have never been in a cruiseship pool even though they have been taking swim lessons at a local park and recreation pool since the age of 6 months (I guess the park and recreation district doesn't mind putting others at risk). I just don't butt my nose in and tell others that they should be following a rule that I personally don't agree with and I will continue to report my observations that the rule is widely ignored. It is up to each individual parent to decide what they wish to do with that information.

If the cruiseline doesn't care enough to enforce their own rules, than I certainly am not going to play pool police and try to enforce it for them.
Old August 21st, 2005, 02:24 AM
Captain

One more thing:

I was at a very nice hotel swimming pool a few weekends ago that was full of people of all ages splashing and having fun. There were many babies and toddlers in swimmies and nobody seemed to care. I didn't see not one person run from the pool in fear of E. Coli or wrinkle their nose in disgust. Why is it only on cruiseships that this issue rises to such hysterical proportions?
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:43 AM
Lauri123

Bern...what the hell did you start?
Old August 21st, 2005, 03:50 PM
Passenger

Yes Bern,
I think its getting as hot here on this board as it is over my way in North Carolina!
I am not sure about the strollers but that would be a great idea for cruise lines to rent them. Only problem for me would be waiting at airport holding baby!
Take care and Have a blast on cruise!
georgene

Old August 21st, 2005, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Still trying to figure out how this got from renting strollers to an argument.

I have not, in my last few CCL cruises, seen strollers other than those brought on board by the passenger. I would call CCL and ask if they still rent them.

Jodi

Old August 21st, 2005, 09:34 PM
Lady Vine

I would take my own, the few strollers I did see looked like they belong to the passangers. I would take my own just beacuse I know its rugged and will roll on any surface, big enough for to hold the dyper bag, and any shopping bags I have. I hate those little fold up strollers with no storage space!!
LV
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:36 PM
Bernadette

I never would have thought it would come to this. A simple little question as a favor to my sister and war has begun! I didn't mean for everyone to get so heated. Sorry. I just hope we don't come across any of the NASTIES while on board. Thanks to everyone else for your help. I think I will stay off the boards for now. Bern
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:58 PM
BoosterMom

I don't think anyone meant to get nasty. Most of the people on this board are wonderful and you shouldn't stay off it because there was a difference of opinion. I consider myself a nice helpful person, but I just have personal feelings about toddlers in diapers and pools.................This board is a great resource. Please don't quit using it.
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:17 PM
cali-croozer

Bernadette: looks like you'll have to call up Carnival about the stroller rental since there are conflicting answers. However, the pool rule regarding non-potty trained kids in the pool is right on Carnival's website, so at least you have found out before your cruise. I don't think your sister will be disappointed because once you see the pools, you'll see what I mean. They are small, salt water and crowded. Not really a place for the little ones anyway. If you will be visiting a beach in port, your nephew will be able to splash away there........bring a few small sand toys and he'll have even more fun.

Have a great cruise.
Old August 21st, 2005, 11:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to TanSwi

What is the big deal about toddlers going in with their parents to enjoy a dip in the pool on a cruise. No one cares if they are in a pool at a hotel or at a public swimming pool. I would rather take the chance of the highly advanced swim diaper to get a leak than know that the person I am next to in the pool has AIDS or some other infectious disease. How do you all feel about adults entering the pool with a disease when it's listed that they should not but yet, they still do. That I would think is more gross than a toddler in a pool with a swim diaper on. I wouldn't want to be exposed to a disease like that.
My toddler was in the pool with us on our cruise last year and yes she had a swim diaper on and was potty trained, but we put it on her "just in case". We brought her in the pool with us because the kiddy pool that was supposed to be there for toddler/baby use was not filled or in use the entire length of the cruise.
I don't like drinking but I don't sit and complain about all the same drunks you see sitting at the bar for 7 days straight.
Why doesn't everyone just stop complaining and enjoy life and enjoy your cruise!
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:43 AM
CLW1349

I AM THE MOTHER OF THE 19 MONTH OLD IN QUESTION. I FIND IT RATHER AMUSING THAT PEOPLE WOULD JUMP TO THE CONCLUSION THAT HE IS NOT POTTY TRAINED BECAUSE OF HIS AGE. MY SON ACTUALLY IS POTTY TRAINED, SO DONT SPEAK OF THAT WHICH YOU DO NOT KNOW. TO ALL OF YOU PARANOID CRUISERS....REST ASSURED THAT I WOULD NOT BE BREAKING ANY RULES. I NOW PLAN ON BRINGING MY OWN POOL FLOAT AND ALLOWING HIM TO SPLISH AND SPLASH ALONG WITH ALL OF THE OTHER KIDS IN THE POOL.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:28 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

How about all those potty trained kids that still go in the pool because they don't want to have to get out?? I just think too many people are scared about everything in this world. I find that if you live scared of everything, you can't enjoy life. Millions of people are exposed to millions of nasty things everyday, you are just the unlucky one if you get sick from them.

My two cents!
Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:46 PM
Admiral

TanSwi,

You can not "catch" AIDS by swimming in a pool with someone who has it. If you could, there would be MANY more people with AIDS! Why would you let your toddler in a pool if you think he/she might be exposed to some disease? Do you think that people with AIDS don't cruise? On our cruises I've never seen a list of diseases saying who shouldn't be in the pool. Where did you see that list?

CLW1349,

I wondered about that myself! I've known children under 19 months who were potty trained. Hope you and your son have a great time splishing & splashing! (Just in case you weren't meaning to "shout" (and you might have been, considering!), typing in all Caps is considered "shouting".

Eaky77,

I SO agree with you! If we start worrying about every little germ we'll just stay in our homes and miss life! If you try to avoid every germ, your immune system won't build up and you'll really be in trouble.

I'm sure it's not just children who "go" in swimming pools. What about the people you see drinking beer all day and never leaving the pool! That's one reason pools are treated with chemicals.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to TanSwi

Thank you Fern about pointing that out about catching AIDS in a pool - I am not that stupid - I realize that one can not get AIDS from sharing a pool - I was being sarcastic. To agree with some of the other posts though, if one sat and worried about every germ that was out there, you should never leave your home.
People just shouldn't take everything so seriously and should just have a good time.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:13 PM
Admiral

CLW, We brought both of our kids on our cruise in January and we just brought simple umbrella strollers. The kind you can purchase at Walmart for $10-15. You can fold them up while in your stateroom and they are very compact in the narrow hallways. I just couldn't see spending three times as much to rent something I already bought. I would have been lost without them and as a previous poster mentioned they are great for the airport or a road trip because the don't take up much space. BTW I took a two year old and a four year old. They loved cruising and cannot wait for our next two cruises in November (we'll be on the seas for almost 2 weeks). I cannot think of a better way to take a family vacation. If by chance you need a little "you" time, they do offer group babysitting for a fee from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. for children your little one's age. I like this option myself because it is time that the kids would be asleep anyway and I didn't feel guilty for doing my own thing once in a while at night. Go enjoy yourself...
Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:27 AM
CLW1349

Fern,

Yes I was shouting I wanted to get my point across...you should never assume, it only makes you look like a fool! Looking forward to a great time!

Beenie Weenie,

I've decided to bring a jogging stroller. I realize it will be quite cumbersome, but it will be the most comfortable for my son who will be off schedule and will probably do a lot of napping in it. I do plan on taking advantage of the babysitting services at least 1 night out of the week.

Thank you for all your feedback!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:49 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: question about toddlers

My grand baby was 7 months when she went on her first cruise, and then again at a year and a half, and yes we brought her stroller.

Carol
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
Admiral

TanSwi,

Sorry, sarcasm doesn't come across very well when writing

I'm glad to hear that you aren't that "stupid", but so many people are that it just irritates the heck out of me! I certainly agree with you that people should not take everything so seriously-just go with the flow.

CLW,

I thought you might have been shouting. Don't blame you!

"You should never assume, it only makes you look like a fool". Hmmm... A fool? I always heard that it makes an "something else" out of U and me!

Hope you and both your sweeties have a wonderful cruise,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Becka

hi bernadette!

your page seems to be a little out of control with the pool issue, so i will let them keep that one! i did want to let you know that carnival DOES supply strollers! i am a carnival employee and i worked as a youth counsellor with camp carnival for 2 yrs!! they are "jeep" brand strollers (nice dark blue and green!) and come with cupholders for mum and have heavy duty wheels! you are allowed to take them off into port as well! there is a 25$ charge for the entire week...so get it at the beginning of the cruise as it is the flat rate whether you rent it on day 1 or 5!!!

hope this info helps!

if you have any other questions...i would love to help!

becka from canada!