Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to papa smurf
Default carnival destiny

Going on carnival destiny in March. Reviews state ship needs much in way of refurbishment. Is it true this will happen this fall
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:16 PM
bookdagain

Default Re: carnival destiny

I was on the Destiny Jan 05 and I just booked for it again in Jan06. I LOVED it!!!!!!
That is the newest ship I have ever been on. I have been on Celebrity and a different Carnival Ship. It is the BEST Itinerary you could imagine. The ship wasnt bad at all. Sure its not brand new, but it was pretty nice. The entertainment was Entertaining, the food was very good, and once again, the Itinerary was SUPER!!!!!!!!! Must have been good if I am doing the exact same cruise, exactly one year later. I am also traveling with two other girls who did the same cruise last year as well.
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to papa smurf
Default Re: Re: carnival destiny

how was barbados, aruba and dominica-been to st. thomas before and loved it. my son and his girlfriend (her first cruise) my son has been on royal caribbean did not want them to be disappointed
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM
bookedagin

Default Re: Re: Re: carnival destiny

Barbados and Aruba were FANTASTIC!!!! I havent stopped thinking about them since I returned. Dominica was very beautiful, I just didnt get the impression I was very safe there. We did an excursion in Dominica through the cruise ship visiting waterfalls, and rainforest tour. I certainly wouldnt plan on doing anything on your own in Dominica. We took a cab in Aruba and spent the day at the beach. What a beautiful island. In Barbados we did some shopping and walked to a beach from the cruise ship. I wanted to do this cruise again because there are so many interesting excursions. I cant wait already, and it is 4 months away yet.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to marpat

I was on the Destiny on July 24th. From talking to the crew it's going in to dry dock in Sept. We loved it, the ports where beautiful. In Dominica we did our own tour with Reyno Tours. It was well worth it, the tour guide was really informative. They took us to Emerald pool, trafalgar falls, banana plantation. Truly beautiful. In barbados we went to the beach (Boatyard). This beach has allot of activities that you can do, jet sking, trampoline, etc.
In Aruba we took a cab to Palm Beach and in the afternoon we did the bar hopping tour.
This was the best. If you like to party and have a good time this is the tour to do. Again this tour we booked it on our own.
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Dave 1 week

Default Re: Re: carnival destiny

Destiny - Dry Dock, yes. 11 Sept to 02 October approximately. Nobody is able to determine exactly what dry docking this time will entail. Veteran cruisers can speculate and likely come pretty close. Nobody, so far, can even say where dry dock is for a Destiny-sized Carnival ship such as Destiny.

Papa smurf, what examples of disrepair were given in the reviews?

We have seen that Destiny had a CDC visit in the spring time while in port. There were only a few citations but plenty tickets, and the score was a respectable 93. Maybe the statutes allow a period of time before the CDC issues are corrected. If so, this dry dock will be used to fix up the CDC issues, along with everything else needed such as new paint in your cabin and a new mattress?

If you can corroborate this: crew heavily sprays the ship with insecticide each time a new port of call is imminent. Also, that the odor of the insecticide is unpleasant?

Dave (Destiny lesser Antilles 16 Oct.2005)
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:45 PM
First Mate

We sailed Destiny July 2005, (and June 2001). My general impression was it the ship I guage others against. No real problems from my point of view.
Of the little things I noticed:
The bedding had been updated since last cruise to nice soft duvets instead of bedspread (at least in our cabin), beds were comfortable, but I still prefer my own pillow (yep I dragged it along and used it to protect soveniers on way back.)
I read on a post that in next year Carnival is doing a mattress and pillow rehab across the fleet, something equal to the heavenly bed concept.
The hallways were showing slight wear--however multiple nights (late) they were steam cleaning, and not sure if it was deoderizer but some kind of fluid that was being squirted on carpets by room steward.
There are minor room flaws-- like a closet door that kept sliding open, and so like a refirgerator--light on light off etc..just jammed a towel in door and had a solution. Next night we put duct tape on switch, my dad in another cabin took a direct approach and unscrewed lightbulb in theirs. Also there are lightbulbs in spots that are out--were told on special order until next home port.
The brass in casual sun & sea deck has been polished so many times there is virtually no brass left on it. There is always some activity of maintenance going on.
Overall, my impression--good upkeep and pride in the ship my the crew.
I was told a dry dock can be as simple as an out of water inspection of hull, to engine work to more aesthetic items. I'd love to sail her after just to see what changed!
I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!