Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:03 PM
browezilla

Default Passports not needed in Caribbean until 1/1/2008

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Passports not needed in Caribbean until 1/1/2008

We have been advised to have them for out 1/15/06 Cruise by our TA. We are doing the 7 night Western Carribean cruise on the Conquest.

Conquest
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:20 AM
Passenger

we were also advised by our TA to have on our 5 night cruise on the Ecstasy to Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen on 3/20/06.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

The site actually states ...

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada to have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

If I am understanding the last sentence, there is yet to be a timeline firmly established as to exacty which countries at what times will require passports ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:56 AM
Passenger

Yeah our TA told us we needed on for our W. Car trip. I would like to just use our birth cert. instead of getting a passport.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM
Captain

Not to repeat what I am sure that you have read a million times but a passport is your very best form of idenification when travelling. It is an investment in your safety and ability to get in and out of countries with so much less hassle. You will never regret having a passport but you may be unfortunate enough to regret not having one when you really needed it.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
First Mate

We were advised you'd need them Jan.1,06. We are cruising March 4,06 and already got ours. Well worth it, only thing you need to bring!!! Better to be safe than sorry!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:05 AM
Admiral

a Passport is your best form of identification, get one regardless of the time line. They cost less than $10.00 per year. If you had to get home in a hurry and you had to leave from a foreign country, your passport is your ticket out, otherwise you would have to go thru a lot of time, hassle and red tape to get and exit visa
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Male

SUNLOVER IS CORRECT. YOU WILL NEED PASSPORT FOR CRUISING CARRIB OR MEX OR CAN BY 1/1/2006
Old August 23rd, 2005, 03:28 PM
Passenger

I believe this also means that any visitors crossing into or out of Mexico at the border going in at Tijuana will also need a passport by 1/08. Can you imagine the lines? Don't forget, passports are a requirement for vehicle and foot traffic into and out of the USA, not just for cruisers. I've had my passport for 6 years and have never regretted getting it.

May/03 CCL Fantasy
Jan/04 CCL Ecstasy
Dec/04 NCL Norwegian Star
Dec/05 CCL Legend
May/06 CCL Paradise
Jan/07 CCL Liberty
Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Passports not needed in Caribbean until 1/1/2008

Our TA advised us to have passports for our eastern cruise may 06.........
Advise taken going next week to to get it done not gonna miss the cruise!!
Get it over with and just get the passports.!!
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:14 AM
wdl

It is NO LONGER necessary until 2008.....law has been changed as of 2 weeks ago.
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:49 AM
TexMex

Cam someone from Cruisemates get to the bottom of this and find out exactly what the REAL answer is!
Old August 27th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Cubdaddy

You may want to read between the lines. It may be true you would not need passports until 2008 but the site listed below indicates that the requirements will take effect in a phased timeline. That timeline may still be what Carnival is listing in their "Travel Documents".

Hopefully our government will clarify the new timeline!
Old August 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Admiral

I think the cruise lines are going to require passports before it's the "law" just to cover themselves incase they have to divert itineraries. It's a painless process to get one except it can be expensive for families. If your cruise is next year, budget 1 passport a month because the longer you wait the more expensive it will get. We got ours in 2002 for only $65 each and I believe now they are $85 or $95. We use it for ID just flying around the US. Easier and faster than having to get the DL out and misplace it.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 27th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Admiral

What has happened is that the requirement WAS going to be as of 1/1/06 you had to have a passport for any cruises to the Carribean. They have since decieded to hold back on that requirement until NO LATER than 2008 for passports to be required. This does not mean that you will not be required sometime before then. It may happen, may not. Speculation is that there was just going to be too much demand on the Passport Office so they are backing off to a degree. As it CURRENTLY stand, you will not need a passport to cruise in the Caribbean until 2008 by the US Government. The cruiselines 'could' ask and even require them prior. Best bet is to get your Passport. They are relatively cheap and good for 10 years. Best form of ID and needed by many countries to enter or depart. If at all possible, get the passport and you will never have to worry.

Old August 29th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Gram4haley

I contacted Carnival and they confirmed that we WILL need a passport if we want to cruise with Carnival after 12/31/2005.
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Bee

Hi All We got passports and we are going to Belize, Panama, and Costa Rica in December 2005. Glad we did as they are good for 10 years so we don't need to worry about it anymore. Just looking forward to our cruise. Bee
Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Familiar Face

I just found this on a news site and it was dated Sept 2, looks like maybe the State Dept went back to its original plan, or am I reading it wrong?

U-S keeps stricter passport rules for travelers from Canada and Mexico

"WASHINGTON They may be neighbors, but they'll still have to show their passports when visiting the U-S.

The government says it will require travelers from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and other allied nations to show a passport or other secure document to enter the United States.

The new policy, which takes effect at year's end, had sparked protests from travelers and neighboring governments. It's part of the intelligence overhaul bill signed last year which requires tighter border security.

The Homeland Security Department says it's exploring the use of biometric technology to create an alternative identification card for travelers. And the Canadian government is working with the U-S to develop a new document for widespread use on both sides of the border.

There's a one-year reprieve for those traveling by land from Canada and Mexico.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved."

Edited to add missing headline

Post Edited (09-02-05 14:34)
Ecstasy 11-04
Fantasy 04-05
Glory 10-05
Old September 2nd, 2005, 05:44 PM
Passenger

to go to carribean, s america and those places that were in the first batch of passport requirements, they will now be needed eff jan 1, 2007 instead. There are just too many people getting passports wtih the rush and now one large processing place (new orleans, whcih handles like 10 states) is out of commision. You can read about it on USA Today site.

I also spoke wtih our group PVP and he said we do NOT need passports for our jan 15 miracle cruise. My sister also called and spoke to a random group person who also confirmed this. Apprently PVP just got the memo today about it. Call you PVP and ask.

Yes, I know passports are best, but forking out $440 that you did not expect to need to when you booked (we booked in March), is a big deal, even spreading it out. I went last week to do mine and now I have to wait to see if mine is floating around New Orleans, whcih is where the ones from my state go. So we have 1 and will probably get the others next year if everyone likes cruising (mainly my kids). If they do, we will get them.

Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here is the answer and link: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 12/4/2009 Bahamas
Carnival Valor 3/9/2008 Eastern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas 6/24/2006 Western Mediterranean
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas 5/29/2006
Carnival Conquest 6/20/2004 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas 12/20/2002 Bahamas