Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default jewelry bought on ships

Has anyone ever bought jewelry (diamonds, tanzanite, etc) while on board? Do you get the same deals as on land? Which do you suggest? Which carries the best warranty? Are they "real" or "fake" I just don't want to get screwed, you know? Do you get better prices then, say, at a jewelry store in your home town?? Any advice? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Captain

Default Re: jewelry bought on ships

I bought several pieces of jewelry on board as well as on land. I have been very happy with the tanzanite I bought on the ship and have never seen anything like it anywhere else. One ring I purchased was $549 and I had it appraised at home for $1200. I have also purchased jewelry at the ....International chains. I had a ring that within a month one of the claws broke, I contacted Diamonds International, no problem, fixed and a little something extra sent to me for the inconvenience. I am comfortable shopping at the well know places, but not so much with the off the beaten path shops. I suggest you do your research at home so at least you have an idea of what makes a quality gem and the prices at your home so you don't get taken for a ride.

Good luck and very happy shopping : )
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:46 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

If you purchase them from a store that Carnival recomends, you have up to one year to have it checked out by a jewler in the US. If there are any problems, Carnival replaces it, or gives you a refund. On my last cruise in October, we had a guy on-board, and he would explain everything for you about where to buy, and how to buy. It was great. I still love and wear my tanzanite everyday that I got from Columbian Emeralds

Good Luck, and Happy Shopping,

Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Admiral

You can get good deals on the ship if you wait for the end of the cruise sales, watch your daily ships paper for the sales. The key is to know your prices before you leave home, get a price range from a reputable local jeweler. Attend the ships port shopping lectures for valuable information. You can get good deals in port.
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Chris64

Same as 2 little above, bought my wife and daughter rings on board the Conquest, had them appraised at home and was very pleased. The Hometown jeweler couldn't believe my prices.

A word of caution however. Was in one the the "cruise recommended stores" in Jamaica on my cruise and overheard another cruiser ask the cruise ship shopping guy (he was in the store) if he could get her a better deal on a watch. He told her he "GUARANTEED" her that that was the lowest price she could get anywhere. You should have seen the look on his face when she told him that same exact watch was $200 cheaper in the gift shop on board the boat! So be careful at the "cruise recommended shops". Price what you want on board, it may be a better deal.

Chris
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

thanks everyone! I actually don't have luck waiting until the end of the cruise. I did that last time "hoping" the price would go down, but someone bought up the ring I wanted and they didn't have any more. I am a firm believer that if I really really want it, I had better buy it now...lol. I just hope these hurricanes hold up so I can enjoy the cruise now that I decided to go....in 2 weeks!
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:14 PM
BoosterMom

We bought a pair of diamond studs on Inspiration in Jan. We had looked at the recommended shops in Cozumel and felt more comfortable buying on the ship. The people were very nice. My jeweler said we got a good price and he would have rated them higher in color than Carnival jewelers had. They were white gold and I really wanted yellow. They gave me the contact in Miami if I wanted them re-set into yellow gold. It was just good knowing that if I had a problem I could deal with Carnival and not one of the "International" stores. In fact, I'm getting a little tired of going into ports and them being taken over by Diamonds International and such. St. Thomas is wall to wall jewelry stores. I love jewelry just as much as the next person, but it got very boring. I don't think they lie to you, per se, but I think they will "sell" you if you don't go really informed. Although I might not always buy from the recommended stores for some things, I'd never by a high price item from a no-recommended store.