Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:56 PM
PaulJ

Default Future cruises from Port of NO?

I wonder when the port will reopen for use? I also wonder when Carnival will start crusing from NO and Mobile again? I know the river in NO will have to be cleaned and or dredged and re-chartered. We are scheduled to leave on the Conquest on Oct 16, 2005. I just can't imagine getting the cruise port back in order by then. With all the damage to the hotels, and knowing that probably 80 to 90 percent of cruisers stay for at least several nights pre or post cruise, this will have some impact on Carnival's decision. Since the other mid Gulf ports are damaged also, where would Carnival send their ships to leave from? We are driving from central Florida to NO for our cruise, (as we have friends meeting us from Missouri) and with the gas costs certinaly to rise, what will Carnival do to help us with extra driving costs to another port? I figure they may port the Conquest from Galveston for the forseeable future. Just wondered what you other cruisers thought. Thank God for sparing NO the catastrophie that could of befell her! I hope and pray for all the others who were in the direct path of Katrina! We went through Charlie and the other storms last year in Florida, so I speak from my heart!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Future cruises from Port of NO?

I may be mistaken but when Carnival had problem with cable in Mississippi River, didn't Conquest sail out of Biloxi or Mobile?

You are right about all the work that needs to be done on the Mississippi prior to any cruises. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised given location of initial landfall that there would now be a new "pass" to enter the river. Who knows, it might be a shorter trip.

On the other hand, Mobile should be a quick clean up; probably could sail in there this week. Maybe Conquest will sail out of Mobile for a while. This would save you about 100 miles each way (of course, at expense of additional distance for your friends in MO).

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14