Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:36 AM
FrankP

Default Mobile and NO

Due to the massive destruction that Katrina laid on Mobile and NO (thank the good Lord it was not worse!!) what is the opinion on how quickly Carnival will make the decision to utilize other ports while the repairs are being made to these beautiful cities? Are they typically fairly quick as people will have to make arrangements for new flights, motels, etc. if they change the port? What if they change a port and it is impossible to adjust to the new port (i.e. cannot fly and do not have the extra time to drive to a port that is significantly farther away), will Carnival allow you to cancel with no penalty? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Mobile and NO

We're schedule for a Oct sailing out of NO
I don't think they have been able to evaluate the port situation yet.
It might be more than just whether the port is working order.... the ships won't be able to get needed food and water at these ports. Plus driving & air travel to the gulf ports will be close to impossible. My guess is that Tampa or Texas ports will be base for cruises for the next few weeks..... but only a guess.

Post Edited (08-30-05 11:17)

Voyager of the Seas
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Holiday is docked at Port of Tampa now. Dont know anything else. Will try to find out more on this at work tonight.
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Admiral

We are trying to keep up with the changes on the homepage in the news area but it is always best to check with the cruiselines website for the very latest information. Mobile took a terrible hit and NO while spared from total distruction by a direct hit was very hard hit and some of the levees have broke now and NO is beeing flooded at this time so they may also have a very long time to recover.
Jim

Old August 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM
FrankP

Default Re: Re: Mobile and NO

Bridges have been knocked out. The water is now contaminated and power will not be restored for a long time. The Mississippi has not crested and the fear is that it will add to the flooding. NO will no longer be the same and as some one mentioned there will be no way to get food, water and other supplies to the ships if they are in port. It will not be "weeks" but months. So sad in so many ways. Let us pray that human lives will be spared.
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Familiar Face

As of 3:30pm Carnival still has not changed their statement concerning delays etc.
It remains the same one they put out on the 29th concerning the conquest etc.

The Governor now states that they have to evacuate those at the Super Dome...
I'm in Memphis and we took in patients from our sister behavior health hosptial this weekend to our hospital.... Our hotel rooms are pretty much full from those coming up from the coast.
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Passenger

When is the Conquest supposed to sail again?

On the selfish side...... When do we start trying to deal with credit card companies and "not refundable" hotel reservations? I'm hoping the airlines will be a little understanding, but, I'm afraid we'll be giving Southwest a "donation" for the not refunadable tickets.

My attitude right now is that we have reservations on the Conquest for the Dec 4 sailing and we'll make it even if we have to drive from NY to where ever they end up sailing from!
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Louisiana Joe

Cruising from New Orleans is OVER for a long time. 80% of the city is under water. Up to 25' in some areas. Residents are being told to stay away for up to 30 days. At that time they may be able to enter, evaluate their situation and then leave. This is very bad. It may take a year to get the area back in operation. It will never be normal again. The suberbs of Kenner and Metairie are also flooded. I-10 between New Orleans and Slidell heading towards Mississippi has been destroyed.

I am 45 miles away and involved in the evacuation efforts. Just wanted to advise that this is serious. The water supply is contaminated. No sewer services. The Superdome is in bas shape.
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:25 PM
csteph71

I got this from an article in the Mobile register from this afternoon.

Many parts of the downtown waterfront flooded Monday. About 4 feet of water rushed into the Alabama Cruise Terminal at Mobile, according to the director of cruise terminal operations, Al St. Clair.

There was no structural damage, and cars in the terminal deck appeared unharmed, St. Clair said. The terminal should be able to handle passengers by Saturday's scheduled sailing, St. Clair said.
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:40 PM
hostess

Hi Louisanna Joe,

I have relatives in Kenner, who got out on sat are headed to other family members houses. I know you said Kenner was flooded. They live in Condo's on Esplanade across form the mall area. Can you give us any update on that area? They feel helpless and can't get through on cell phones to anyone to see how bad it is?
Any info you can give, would be greatly appreciated.
You can send it to my email TamiHost3@msn.com

Thanks,
Tami
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have not had any word of my daughter who lives in Houma. How badly was this area affected?

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 31st, 2005, 11:13 AM
First Mate

In my opinon the airlines should transfer your flight since the airport is closed.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:06 PM
FrankP

Correction on this, the Mayor of NO said today that people will not be allowed to NO for the next 12-16 weeks! Most likely there will be no NO to return to. How very sad for the 1,000,000 people who now have no home.
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:00 PM
Happy Camper

Carnival said they will make the desicion about the Conquest on Friday. Most likely Galveston. I called them. Debbie
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:00 PM
Admiral

NO is pretty much out for the foreseeable future.
Laura, While I have not heard anything directly it does appear that outside of the flooding that is now destroying NO La. has been pretty well spared from the worst of the problems. Phone lines and power will take a long time get back to normal as so much depended on NO. Hope that you hear from her soon.
Jim

Old September 4th, 2005, 09:01 PM
deb1958

We were supposed to crusise out of NO on Oct.2 on the Conquest. Our port has been changed to Galveston and Delta changed our airline tickets at no charge to us.
Good luck to everyone and may God watch over everyone involved with the Katrina devastation.