Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:06 PM
sunnymom02

Default Cruising Eastern VS Western Carribean

Hi. I have been on two cruises, both of which they sailed in the Gulf of Mexico going to places like Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. I would like to try the Eastern side. My question is, are the seas rougher in the eastern side vs the western as you are in the Atlantic ocean verses the Gulf? I realize you cannot predict the weather, but has anyone out there done both enough to see the difference? Also, what is a good time to sail in the Eastern? Jan, Feb, March or April? Thank you for your help! Trying to decide on a next adventure

Sunnymom02

Sensation 2/03
Conquest 4/05
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruising Eastern VS Western Carribean

The seas are generally a little rougher on the Eastern route simply because of the Gulf Stream and exposure to the Atlantic. There really isn't all that much differance for the most part but as I said, generally a little rougher.
Jim

Old August 30th, 2005, 06:37 PM
First Mate

My favorite month is April. March is usually a little more crowded with spring breakers. I like to wait till the end of April as most of the kids are back to school by then. We have teens that we bring along and there are still enough kids to make friends with. Its just not such a zoo. Also the beautiful Caribbean waters are nice and warm for snorkeling by the end of April.
Libby
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:32 PM
sunnymom02

Thanks Still trying to decide what ship to go on! Has anyone been on the Carnival Glory? I heard this ship had troubles quite a while back! I am assuming all is well now

Sunnymom02
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Glory is a great ship. We cruised her last Sept. to the Eastern. Rough waters a bit, but mostly because of the 2 hurricanes that kept us from going to the Western!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 24th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Passenger

Our last cruise was a back to back on the Paradise before she was sent to the West Coast. We did Western Carib. first for 7 days, stayed on board the ship and did 7 days Eastern. We also did Exotic 10 day Eastern and Southern on Paradise and Panama Canal which was all over the place. . Did not really notice much difference in the seas as the ships all have stabilizers. We are sailing the Legend on April 2nd and cannot wait. It goes to three of our favorite ports: Barbados, Martinique and St. Martin. It is an 8 day cruise to Exotic Southern. We love cruising in April and May the weather and the seas are perfect. You run into rougher weather in July through November in the East and Gulf. Whatever you decide, have a blast. Go to cruiseclues.com and you can find all the menus, capers and supper club menus too for all the Carnival ships.
Lynne
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West
Default Sunnymom

Like you, we have been to the western 3 times. I almost knew my way around town in Grand Cayman. And that was a hint to us to do something else.
The wife and I have always wanted to do the Eastern, but never have. Well, with our cruise onboard the Sensation Cancelled, we booked the Valor out of Miami. We're ( me more than her ) are excited about this. I've gotten the airfare booked, and a 1- night pre-hotel stay booked. I'm ready to go get the passports, and complete the funpass The wife say's, I'm about to drive her crazy ! Imagine that
So, if you go before me, don't forget to tell us all about it, when you return.

Happy cruising;
david 8)
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old September 26th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are WINTER cruisers (Jan/Feb/March) and have been both East and West many times.

Normally, the ocean is quite calm this time of year. To us the EAST has always been the calmer of the two this time of year. Sometimes that "ride" back to Florida from Cozumel can get a bit rocky. The weather varies ... so who knows!
Old September 26th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I find the Eastern to be calmer - the Gulf getts churned up over anything as it is boxed in. Even a Northern can churn it up with 20 foot waves. Love the Eastern. Haven't been on too long since the Western is too convenient - would like to see them sail a ship to the Eastern out of Galveston, New Orleans or Houston... debbie
Old September 26th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Admiral

I have sailed both itineraries and never found the eastern Caribbean waters rougher than the western. We have always sailed the first week of May...in the "off season" pricing. If you have children, don't recommend this week because there are very few children sailing. If you don't have children, it's a great week to sail, the rainy season hasn't started yet. the temperatures are in the low to mid 80's and the water is perfect for swimming and snorkeling. We have sailed this itinerary on the
Victory and Valor and loved both ships...giving the Valor a slight edge.
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
First Mate

Having only been on 2 cruises, both in August, we found the Eastern to be MUCH rougher. We cruised Inspiration (western) last year, hardly felt any movement. This year we cruised Valor (eastern), a MUCH bigger ship, but we felt a LOT of movement. Luckily, we dont suffer from being seasick.
Can't Wait Till Mariner of the Seas 6/08