Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:17 PM
Maleficent

Default Stingrays? Will they sting me?

Whats the percentage they will sting me at the sting ray tour in Grand Cayman? Im also pregnant so the risk goes up HIGHER.
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Stingrays? Will they sting me?

I dont think they will sting you. I have been numerous times and havent been stung once and havent had anyone on our tour get stung. Be sure to ask your doctor though before you leave on your trip.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:31 PM
ready2cruise

My kids were real scared of that also. The guide from our boat had a stingray and licked the entire tail to prove to my kids that they were not going to get stung. He told us that there is one little spot on the tail that if stepped on would get you stung. We loved the tour and although they are very intimidating at first this was the best excursion we did the entire trip. In fact we are cruising again in March and plan on doing this excursion again.
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:49 AM
Admiral

the only way that you could get stung by a ray was if you stepped onto the very pointy end of their tails. They are beautiful creatures, very docile actually, they will swim all around you, they will flutter by your legs,even swim between your legs, it feels like a gentle tickle when they brush by you. Not to worry, enjoy its quite the experience.
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM
sls

Sting Rays will give you hickys if you get squid juice on you.

sls
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:20 PM
Passenger

When my son was 8 we went to stingray city. He swims like a fish but refused to get in the water with the stingrays because he was scared they would sting. So he stayed on the boat. We could not get him in the water for anything. Even if we carried him he was scared. As we were coming back to the ship that evening we saw a seperate tender at the front of the ship. They were evacuating a family's belongings. Their 7 yo old son apparently WAS stung by a stingray and had an allergic reaction to it. Well that did it for my son. He was right as far as he was concerned. Today at 17 he is a certified Scuba diver and he will STILL NOT get in the water at stingray city. We have been there about 4 times since and he stays in the boat. He will dive with sharks rather than get near a stringray. We still give him a hardt time about it. Childhood fears don't die easily. So even though it is highly unlikely and we have been several times and going again twice this year, it is possible. Once again though the boy had an allergic reaction not anything from the sting itself. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend this trip for everyone. It is one of the best thinks we have ever done on any of our 15 cruises. So go, have fun and just remember to do the stingray shuffle. Cindy
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Contrary to popular belief, Stingrays do not sting. There is a "barb" on the dorsal (top) side of the tail. It is only used defensively. The barb contains venomous sacs and the barb will remain in the skin until a doctor can properly extract it. In the meantime, the venom, of which little is known, may cause redness and swelling and various adverse reactions.

If I was pregnant, I would not risk a Stingray encounter. But I was probably too cautious during my pregnancy. But then again, what is too cautious when there is a baby concerned?

Chances of being "stuck" are vary slim, but why risk it? Maybe Stingrays only use them defensively, but who is to say what seems threatening to a Stingray at any given time?

We did the Stingray Encounter in Grand Cayman and loved it. My 8-year-old would not feed them but he did swim for a while.

Jennifer =-]
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:53 PM
HeidiHo

I've read that you should "shuffle" with your feet when walking to avoid stepping on them. This will reduce your chances of being stung. I've never actually been in the water with stingrays but plan to do it in GC on our cruise in March.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:47 AM
Admiral

as long as you pay attention to your dive masters instructions when it comes to dealing with the StingRays you should have no problems. The are still wild creatures and should be treated with respect.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:52 AM
Martin Ryszka

Without a doubt one of the greatest shore excursions of my 20+ cruises. People have been injured by stingrays for understandable misconceptions, such as....trying to 'grab' the tail, either deliberately or an excited reflex action. The tail is part of the skeletal structure of the ray and is very rough in texture like a high grade metal file. Grabbing scares the ray which pulls its tail resulting in tearing or scraping the flesh. Also the spine [top center line] of the ray is highly defined. Someone attempting to stroke or 'pet' the ray along this part of its body, as it glides by, {depending on how hard one presses down onto the ray} can experience a 'cut' similar to a paper cut. In itself neither tail grab nor paper cut is particularly harmful or painful but these cuts or scrapes occur in SALT WATER, that's what makes them more painful. Getting the barb end of the tail may be a different issue but in general this is as safe and fun an excursion as you'll ever experience. And for the skin diver who will dive with sharks but not rays.....Rays are a member of the shark family, jump in!!! It's all in the family!!!
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:45 AM
AmazingAngel

We really want to do this excursion as well in Feb. I too am a little nervous about it. When we were in GC on our last cruise we just did the seven mile beach thing cause I wanted to swim with the dolphins in Jamaica. We were actually asked at the excursion desk why we didnt want to do the stingray tour. We are taking two of my kids with us on our next cruise here this winter and we plan on doing the stingray tour, I am nervous so yes I might just stay on the boat...but oh what a site to see them would be a thrill. I am afraid of the ocean in general, so....who knows when the time comes i probably will get in the water but close to the boat. I am afaid of stepping on the creatures. I would find out from your doctor if you can swim with them. I know you cant with a dolphin. they have exray eyes or something like that. My hubby broke his back 8 years ago and they seemed to be attracted to him when he is in the water. But as for rays...dont know.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Don't let fear prevent you from experiencing these amazing creatures! The water is crystal clear, you stand on the sand bar - no swimming involved and these gentle creatures seem to just float by you. I had one large male swim past me and brush my legs, it felt like a feather had brushed my leg. This excursion is one of my top 10.