Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival ships being comandeered by government

I saw on the news last night that the government may comandeer Carnival ships to help house and relocate refugees from NO area. Has anyone heard anymore about this???
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:47 AM
K aka maleficent

Default Re: Carnival ships being comandeered by government

No However...why cant they commender Royal Carib?
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I heard that they were asking all the cruise companies to donate 1 to 2 ships to help. The broadcast I was watching didn't say for how long they would be needed.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:07 PM
Jeannette

It was on the Drudge Report yesterday. Carnival issued a statement saying they would look into the government's request.
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Passenger

Its a "request".....the carnival ships and the ships of most other cruise lines are foreign flagged and can't be legally commandeered by our government. However my lake cruiser can be because it is a documented US flagged vessel. This was spelled out during the documentation process.

What is a interesting thought is IF the government can (and I believe they can) commandeer the vessels of NCL America, because they are US flagged ships. I doubt that they would but it is interesting none the less.

I do hope that Carnival & NCL consider posting some ships to government use under lease.....This would give somewhere for the relief & rebuilding workers to stay. Residents probably should not return until the water has be removed, and major debris clearing has been done.

Later

Rick

Post Edited (09-01-05 14:23)
Old September 1st, 2005, 03:10 PM
Admiral

The Government is not commandeering anything. It was not even a request. It was simply a question asking them to lookinto the feasibility of possibly using them. I seriously doubt it is practical at all for many, many reasons, not the least of which is getting the ships there and supplying them and/or even policing those that would be onboard.
Jim

Old September 1st, 2005, 06:58 PM
David B

Well it appears that Carnival is going to give the Rescue workers a place to stay. CNN reported that cruise ships would be used for this. Since the Sensation is out of New Orleans anyway why not let them have that ship. This is fairly logical. A sign that Carnival is not giving up the good stuff is the Conquest iteneraries have switched to Galveston, which before was slated for New Orleans.

Isnt the Sensation up for a re-do? What a plan let the government pay for the remodel....
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:42 PM
stormin norman