Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2005, 09:33 AM
First Mate

Default use bases not cruise ships...

A friend mentioned an idea of putting the homeless in the old Army bases that are being closed. This would be a better fit. I can see putting rescue workers on the ships but the homeless will destroy the ships. They should be housed in the barracks that are standing vacant on the bases that are to be closed. Manned by military that can keep the law and order. This would be much cheaper for taxpayers as well.
Karyn
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2005, 09:49 AM
sls

Default Re: use bases not cruise ships...

The bases are probably completely stripped and just bare rooms. No power. The Carnival cruise ships have beds, linens, lights, etc.

sls
Old September 4th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Eventually they may actually end up using the closed bases for more permanent relocation of many of these people.

I think we all need to keep in mind that the VAST majority of the people left stranded during this disaster were just people who got stuck by the decision to ride out the hurricane.

The vandals and looters I'm sure are a slim slim minority of the total numbers of people involved... but the media made that the story for many watching.

I'm equally sure that in the coming days and months, as real stories come out, we'll hear MANY MORE stories about people helping people in need get through this, and neighbors coming to the aid of neighbors.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 4th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Have to agree with that Kuki. We seldom hear the good about any situation from the media until long after the crisis has passed. It is nice to see that things are starting to improve even if there is still much room for additional improvement. Let's be thankful for the progress that has been made.

Carnival Glory
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Actually not a bad idea. They first need to make sure that everyone is safe and that they are able to rejoin each other for those that have been seperated. Then these people need help finind more permanant homes and jobs which is going to take many months. Now that the military has taken over from the State and local governments things seem to be moving along and people are getting the help they need.
Jim

Old September 4th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

This just proves that we are not prepared for national emergencies such as these.

Bless Carnival for their assistance.

Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old September 4th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Only number I saw was that US was paying Carnival $249M. This seems way too high. Does anyone know the real number?

Many bases are being used for housing. I agree that that is a better solution than the cruise ships for refugees/evacuees. For workers, the ships would make sense if they wer in NOLA or Gulfport, close to the action. It makes no sense when ships are in Galveston or Mobile.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 4th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Why is everyone more concerned about "the precious cruise ships being ruined" than about saving lives and bringing back some dignity to these people? All three ships were scheduled for drydocking and refurbishment anyway.

Post Edited (09-05-05 08:23)
Old September 4th, 2005, 03:10 PM
R&S

In San Antonio what was known as Kelly AFB (Now Kelly USA) is being used for shelters. The facilities are filling up fast and the halls are filled with Red Cross and military volunteers. The facility we volunteered for today had AC, cots, food, medical personnel, and phone lines installed.
It's not perfect, but as Jim said we need to make everyone safe, take care of the basic needs, and then help them find more permanent homes and jobs.
Using a base that has been closed, or scheduled to close, is a great idea and it is working in Texas.

Old September 4th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

To Kuki:

I am not a real big fan of media tactics with the "if it bleeds it leads" mentality but I can promise you that there is much more lawlessness going on than the media will present. I have heard of accounts of my fellow law enforcement officers that have already returned from NO and when these stories start coming out most people will not be able to believe that things like this could happen in this country. The stories will probably not be aired on the mainstream media because heaven forbid a dirtbag be called a dirtbag. Instead it will somehow be the rich white folks fault that the poor underpriveliged drug addict pimped his 4yr old for a crack rock. And even worse there were subhuman slime to take the offer. Make no mistake there is alot of it going on but you all will never hear it or believe it.
Old September 4th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Maleficent

I'm thinking the carnival ships will be used for transporting the victime from texas ..etc...to place of destination.
Old September 4th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: use bases not cruise ships...

This morning I turned the tv on and was saddened to see the homeless sitting in a park with trash strewn about. My sadness turned to anger when I saw a large garbage that appeared to be empty. Not a crime to be poor, but at least get out of your chair and place your trash in a garbage can.
Old September 4th, 2005, 06:09 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: use bases not cruise ships...

I eat crow...I opened the paper and they are sending 3000 to an old base in my state(minnesota) Sory if I seem cold and I realize that many were just stranded but one must get up and move in life. We have all dealt with blows in life without waiting or expecting someone to care for us. I understand the need for immediate help but many appear that the help the need is not/has not been short term. I work full time and extra hours when its available to make ends meet and provide for my family. I had to get up and move when life dealt me blows. Welcome to life....
Old September 4th, 2005, 06:49 PM
CathyC

I am sure part of the reason for using this ships is they are ready to go. Opening closed bases will take some time. In the St. Louis County area where I live, we have a minimum security prison that was closed two years ago. They are in the process of refitting it with light fixtures, toilets, etc. Things removed when it was the understanding it would no longer be used. They are painting everything and trying to make it look less like a prison. This will be opened to those who need it from the hurricane and flood impacted area. We have already had people in the St. Louis area open there homes to extended family. One woman currently has 30 of her relatives in a one bed/ one bath apartment. They are happy to have a roof over there head, dry clothes, food, and water.

Try to imagine yourself in this situation -- with nothing more than the clothes on your back.

Cathy
Old September 4th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Passenger

I tend to agree with you.

Old September 5th, 2005, 09:54 AM
cruisingrandma

These are all human beings that have become stranded without a place to live. They are not the scum of the earth as being called. They want a clean dry place to live with food and a bed to sleep in just like you all would want. Why are we acting like they are not worthy of using a cruise ship. Wow talk about putting labels on people...... Thank god for CArnival and the willingness to help the people.....
Old September 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Yeoman

Only the looters are being called the scum of the earth.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was angered when I saw trash littered all around a park and there was a large garbage can. You would think these people could at least get out of their lawn chair and place trash in the garbage can. If they treat the ship this way, oh well you get the picture!