Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Susanne

Default Special Groups on a Cruise - How do You Know?

We will be cruising on the Valor on October 23, 2005. How do you know if there are large groups booked? I have heard from some past cruisers that there were large groups on their cruises that took over and put a damper on some things. I know it is usually what YOU make it to be, but just wondering if anyone has any info about finding out this information?
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2005, 10:54 AM
cruisinpaige

Default Re: Special Groups on a Cruise - How do You Know?

Large Groups: I have encountered this on two occasions. One was a cruise I did as a guest of a staff member back on the Pardise when it was still nonsmoking. It was a RICHARD SIMMONS cruise. :o) Let me tell you, having him and his people on the cruise did not put a DAMPER on things at all--he was so wonderful and nice to everyone and his group was so upbeat and motivated they were spreading sunshine wherever they went. The staff said he is a fabulous considerate guest, too. They did have their own activities but I never felt like important areas of the ship were off limits to me, especially during ususal hours. For example they used the disco but it was at like 1:00 in the adfternoon.

The second time, it was a group of professional singles that happened to be from my area who run a charity organization and raise money through happy hours and events such as the cruise. Let me tell you they made our cruise just a BIT more interesting than it probably would have been and seeing that I was with 3 other single girls, we did not find it to be a damper AT ALL. We made friends and had a great time. In fact I became a member and a volunteer with the group when I got home!

Oh another time there was a huge family reunion--like 100s and they were awesome and included us in their group as well.

So all in all I find these groups add fuel to the fun, rather than putting a damper on it. I would not worry at all. I guess I WOULD be put off by a nude cruise but I am pretty sure they charter the whole ships for that:o)

Keep an open mind and you are sure to have fun. And if it turns out to be a cruise of barber shop quartets, remember its a big ship, you can get away:o)!!!

Have a great Cruise!
Old September 5th, 2005, 10:57 AM
BoosterMom

I think it's fun to travel with large groups on board.........they don't stay together ALL the time and some of them will actually have t-shirts made for each day of the cruise. They dress in the "uniform of the day"! I find it sort of neat.
Old September 5th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Admiral

We cruised with HAL back in 2001 and there was a church convention group of 700 people! Almost half of the ship. I was with my DH, sister, brother and their spouses celebrating all of our 28th and their 25 anniversaries. Never a problem, in fact, just the opposite. They had their own agenda and it was like an empty ship. Pool side deck chairs at peek times! and the shows were not crowded either, premium seats. We had a blast...we were like kids again - since we all knew each other as teens!

I did read that on the Nov 6th sailing of RCI's Mariner there will be over 1000 Bikers from "Hogs on the High Seas Rally". Fun??

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 17th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Admiral

I too wish I knew how to find out about large group cruises. I know someone who will be on the Hogs on the High Seas and he and his wife are a great couple, but more than 1000 folks in leathers on Formal night would not be my vacation of the year. I am booked on a cruise the week before that and I can't find out any 'group' information or anyone else cruising with us. I sure hope it's not a special group although I have seen a lot of cabins open up for sale since final payment was made.
Bon Voyage

Caribbean Princess
Old September 17th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Theme cruises

Go to your web brouser and type in theme cruises. You will see lots there.

We go with our Star Trek fans and have a blast. We have met all the major stars. eat, drink and have fun just like normal people.
If there are any Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Gallictia,etc fans out there, send me you e amil and I will put you in touch with a cruise group.
Old September 17th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Passenger

when i was on the triumph back in june, there was a family reunion of 300 people, they was alot of fun, they was very friendly with other people, so you just would start to enjoy there company.

i have no problems with large groups, just so long as they are under control.
Old September 17th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Admiral

CA Cruiser, I think I was on that same HAL cruise in 2001, on our honeymoon, with 700 "church group people". They were the nicest people, we made some good friends, and even got invited to visit one of their penthouse suites!
I am very much looking forward to my first CruiseMates group cruises next year. THIS is a large group I WANT to spend time with!

donna
Old September 18th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was on the Celebration once when a huge group of square dancers were aboard. They were fun and it was fun watching them dance. Only problem was fitting in the elevators with those real full skirts, lol!!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 18th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Admiral

back in the 80's my then GF and I went on Carnival's Mardi Gras cruise that had a group of about 700 G&L cruisers on board, from the New York area and we had the greatest time in the world.

A year later, I had broken up with my GF and decided to go on the Norway by myself and there was a group of 400 single women on board and I was too depressed to notice (Yea Right !!!!)... It presented a problem because there were just too many very nice young ladies to hang out with

Last year on the Zuiderdam there was an incredible group of people that belong to an accoustical guitar group and they hosted several activities for the other cruisers which were super

I agree with the above posters, having a large group onboard is really a good experience from two perspectives 1) when the group does an activity it leaves the rest of the ship open for your use and 2) it gives you the opportunity to make friends and learn about their passions

fyi, my older brother who is a retiring nurse will be on the Hogs on the High Seas cruise in November, and he likes to remind me that his formal leather outfit cost more then my tux (VBG)
Old September 18th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Beginner

I was on the Valor, 8/21 - 8/28. There was an extremely large group (approx 1/3 the ship), celebrating the Hispanic version of sweet 16 (except it's 15).

The biggest problem was that because of the size of the group, we were bumped out of our requested late seating, and put in the early seating, which we do not like at all. The maitre'd was unable or unwilling to help us. This caused a major problem for us in Belize, which was a tender port and also a formal night. I was extremely disappointed in Carnival's handling of this.

The kids weren't too bad, just overwhelming. They were like ants at a picnic!

Had I known that Carnival would not have honored my seating, I would have probably not went that week.

This was my 4th, and probably last Carnival cruise.
Old September 19th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Admiral

You can insist to the Mairte D' for late seating if you have a medical reason. They really do try and do their level best to accomodate people. As for Belize being a tender port I don't understand why that is such a problem as you have to be back onboard by 5PM as the ship sets sail at that time. Earliest seating isn't until 5:45 and most everyone is supposed to be onboard by a little after 4PM. We took one of the last tenders back and had pleanty of time to unwind, take our showers and get dressed before dinner at 6:15 which was late/early
Jim
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We were with two seperate groups on our cruise in June. It was two high school singing groups. They were geat bunch of kids, and my 16 year old son, was in heaven. Most of the group was girls his age. It was a blessing, because cruising was my idea( I booked and then told family about it) I was afraid sons would not have anyone to talk to. No matter where we went on the ship, there would be a girl or two to come by and say "hey Joeeee" At first he would just say "The group" but later it because a joke and we would see who could say "the group" the fastest.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 19th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Default Groups Ahoy

used to be a web site that gave group listings in great detail. It was not only useful for avoiding groups, but also for looking for group cruises you may be interested in.

Sadly, it has not been updated since 2003. Sorry, I don't know why.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND