Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival VS. RCL

We are looking at our options since the Elation is now being used for the Ecstacy route.

We are comparing the RCL cruise (the same price that we paid for the Elation trip) VS. the Conquest (about $400 more). Is there a major difference or is it close to the same?

I am doing this resarch on my own because I can not get my TA to talk to me about my options. Once I told her I wanted to know my options and asked her a couple of questions she stopped talking/e-mailing me.

Post Edited (09-05-05 12:06)
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Carnival VS. RCL

Which ship on Royal would you be interested in?
Old September 5th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Familiar Face

I would find a different TA if I were you. Remember you are the customer.

She works FOR you.

Larry

Valor Jan 8, 2006
Triumph May 12 2007
Triumph November 3,2007
Liberty November 22, 2008
Miracle March 4, 2010
Glory Jan 16, 2011
Spirit Sept 11, 2012
Fascination September 22, 2014 Kansas Concert, Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay
Old September 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am looking at the Rhapsody Of The Seas .

I called Carnival and they are going to be$292 higher for me and 403 higher for my sister and Brother-In-Law. I would love to stick to Carnival, but the higher price is a deciding factor for me.

As a side note, When I called Carnival directly, and talked to a wonderful lady, I told her up front that I respect what they are doing and a little inconvience on my part is nothing compared to the people they are helping. She said that they are getting a lot of calls from people that are upset because they have to change their plans.

Old September 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Happy Camper

The Rhapsody is very nice ship. The rooms and showers are smaller but the actual public areas are elegant. Lots more brass and lighter colors. THey have a Solarium - indoor pool adults only - very nice. 24 hour chili and pizza. Chili is great - pizza not as good as Carinval. For the price I'd switch to RCL Rhapsody. IT is a very nice ship and the crew is real nice. I have traveled on RCL 6 times and prefer Carnival just because it seems more laid back but for the price I'd go on the Rhapsody. It is always nice to try something different. You never know before you try... Debbie
Old September 6th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Yeoman

I wouldn't spend the extra money. The Conquest is a very nice ship, newer and very Large, but RCL is very nice as well. The Rhapsody has been refurbished and is a great ship. I would go with RCL and not spend all that extra money if you don't have to.

Carnival Liberty
Old September 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM
First Mate

I agree with Larry. I had to switch TA's and one is a friend. The friend couldn't beat the price of the other, so guess which one I chose?? They are professionals who should answer every question you ask. That is there job. Why should you have to do all the leg work. I personally like the smaller ships on RCCL and Princess. Just my opinion. Have a great cruise which ever you choose.

Old September 6th, 2005, 03:02 PM
First Mate

I have sailed on both the Rhaspody and Conquest.
In my opion the Conquest is well worth the money. We were still waiting on the fun to begin at the end of our 7 day on RCL.
Our room stewart was wonderful and he helped make the trip enjoyable.
The people and atmosphere seemed to us to be for the older crowd. Not as many things to do when at sea. I loved the ports. The Rhapsody is a little smaller ship.
So if you like the more quite life at a slower pace then that is the Rhapsody. we found the buffet closed early and the ice cream machine is in the buffet area they lock the door so you can not come in when closed.The food is better on the Conquest.
This is just in my opion.
have a great cruise.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just a curious question here. My TA finally got back with me while I was talking to Carnival yesterday. We went through the motions of the pricing and our options. The Royal Caribbean turned out to be the best deal, going to the same exact ports on the same exact days as the Conquest. I asked the TA to make the deposits today and they replied back asking if we were sure we did not want the Conquest and that we would get a $100 on board credit and that they could wait until later this month before they make the deposit so we could think and talk about it.

My question is are the TA's being told to push the Carnival cruises? I know that our TA's commission is being protected by Carnival, but I am trying to understand the sudden push and pressure to go on Carnival. I have found another TA that I can/will use but really felt that this one should coplete the sale since they started it out.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Carnival and was really looking forward to the cruise before they did the wonderful thing they did by moving ships around (I really think they are doing the right thing and respect their decision).

Old September 6th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Maybe your TA just wanted to point out that if the price were going to be the same... you'd gain by staying with the Conquest and getting the $100 shipboard credit.

I'd view it as trying to help, not trying to push Carnival.

And am surprised you'd switch TAs for that!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's not that that he was pointing it out, every time he replied to me it was Yeah the cruise is $300 more but you get a $100 onboard credit, or The Conquest is bigger than the Rhapsody. He also said it was up to me to call Carnival and cancel the cruise (I thought that was his job as the TA). If I have to do his job, I should get the commission check. (I did all the leg work on prices and comparing everything because I could not get him to call me or e-mail me back until I called Carnival.)

Old September 7th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Admiral

wanman,

Change TA's ASAP! It is his/her job to deal with the cruise line. Many lines won't even talk to you if you've got a TA. I realize that most TA's are very busy now with all the Carnival changes, but yours should at least E-Mail you that your message was received.

If I understand you correctly, it would cost you $292.00 to change to Conquest and you'd get a $100.00 onboard credit. So it would still cost you $192.00 more to sail on Conquest, not to mention the price for your DS and BIL.

Kuki,

If I haven't misread wanman's posts, the price was never going to be the same. The RCL cruise was always less than the Conquest.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 7th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Admiral

I also agree, dump your TA! Ours is great, always returns our calls on a timely basis and does most of the work he can while on the phone w/us. Ask for referrals from friends or family members and find one who will work FOR you! This is very important, especially since, as Fern stated, the cruiselines won't talk to you if you booked thru a TA, so it's imperative to get one who will return your calls!

Good luck to you....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas