Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default excursion at belize

We are going on the miracle in March 2006 and are going to belize . I was wondering what would be better we want to do some snorkleling . We have never been! We dont know if it would be better to book it through Carnival or try to book something ourselves. We would love some advice or any coments Thanks Jody
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:58 PM
First Mate

Default Re: excursion at belize

I too am trying to research Belize for a cruise early April. I recently read a trip review and she recommended this a great snorkeling addition or alternative to Grand caymen StingRay Ciry-- try a search for : caye caulker snorkel tour -it should lead you to a company name coral.... she loved them. Also try belizetravel.org the rourism website.
Half the fun of a trip is the journey getting there!

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Admiral

There are a number of very good tours in Belize that I can recommend from past experiance. One is the cave tubing, another is Xunatunich Ruins tour, and the third is the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour. I suggest you stick to ships tours at this destination as it is a tender port and the small increase you might see in the price is worth the added assurance that you will not be left by the ship or they will get you to the next port.
Actually I have not done the Altun Ha tour but heard it was great and will be doing it next week myself.
Jim

Old September 8th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Try the Horseshoe reef tour through the ship was wonderful, beautiful reef wall and then to shark-ray alley. Was my 4th time to Belize and was the best tour yet. Katie
Old September 8th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Like Jim suggested, we booked a ship excursion for Belize. At all the other ports we'll do things on our own, but at Belize I didn't want to run the risk of not making it back to the ship on time.

However, if you do try to do something else, google belize shore excursions and you'll find some good sites for booking with a local company.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Glo

I am goning to belize in Oct and have booked a private cave tubing tour with someone that comes highly recommended. Why is everyone saying that Belize is the one place you should book with the ships excursions?

Gloria

Carnivale 3/93
Carnival Pride 06/02
Grand Princess 03/03
Diamond Princess 10/04
Carnival Glory 10/8/05
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Sooshie

We did the cave tubing tour with Reggie and it was outstanding! He and his crew were wonderful. They'll get you there before all the cruise tours get there so you aren't in the "herded cattle". Our group was 11 people vs the ship tours of 30 plus. Afterward we had time to go have a great Belizeian lunch with them and had a great time. If you need any further information or have any questions, please feel free to email me...I'd be glad to help.

As far as going off on your own in Belize, I wouldn't recommend it. It is a very low income area (especially downtown) and you'll find alot of people asking for money etc.
It can make you feel pretty bad especially since you are being stereotyped as rich having come in on the ship. The guys that took us tubing recommended that you only stay in the shopping area and not venture away from it.

Oh, try the banana chips with catchup.....sounds gross, but they are sooooo good. They sell them all around the shopping area.

Susan
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

We went to Belize this past June and we did the cave tubing and booked off the ship. I always book off the ship for fear of being left behind or something happening. Trust me...you don't want to be left at any of the islands...lol. But, I have NEVER felt like we were cattle - and each excursion was wonderful. Cave tubing was totally awesome! But, if you have never been snorkeling, you will LOVE it also. We snorkel in Cozumel and its great! Enjoy your trip!
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:59 AM
PACURN

Go cave tubing. It's a blast. Xtreme tours is who I went through. We had lunch after and it was delicoius. There is a restaurant at the site. Plan on having lunch. You won't regret it.
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:10 AM
cali-croozer

We booked the Goff's Caye Excursion through Carnival. We usually go out on our own, but decided to book with the ship in Belize for convenience and safety. Snorkeling wasn't that great, but, overall, we enjoyed our day. The best part was that the tour boat picked us up and dropped us off right at the ship, eliminating the need to take the tender ashore (tendering in Belize takes awhile, because the ship is "docked" in the middle of nowhere........you don't even see the mainland, unlike, for example, Grand Cayman).
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: excursion at belize

While we often take private tours in many ports it is because we have usually been there and I speak a passable Spanish that helps keep us out of trouble. Plus I have a very imposing personality if necessary. <G> Even so, you could have a problem and there is nothing you can do about it as you have no recourse. Also should for any reason you are late getting back the ship will not wait for your tour nor will they pay and assist getting you to the next port of call to rejoin the ship. With a ships tour, you know that the tour company has been vetted out and that they pass the safety requirements and that they must provide you what is advertised or you have recourse through the ships shore excursions people. In addition should something happen and you are late returning the ships waits if at all possible and if not then CCL will get you to the next port of call at their expense. Nice insurance to have.
Jim

Old September 9th, 2005, 09:31 PM
crossx5

I totally agree with SOOSHIE, we went cave tubing with Reggie*** URL Deleted*** 2 yrs. ago. It was awesome. We loved it so much we were booked again for Oct. with our kids, but had to cancel due to cruise changes from Katrina. We will go again someday tho.....
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Default Just returned yesterday - do not do Cave Tubing

Just an FYI - I just returned from the Miracle yesterday and Belise is the one place I would do the shipps excursions for sure. However, there was a flash flood while we were there and the tubing was cancelled. The flood happened while the people were already on the bus there and they were all sent back. Per the people on the trip the river was "muddy and gross".

We went on the "lost canopy tour" where you zipline through the jungle - it was a blast but the bus ride can be rough.

Also those that went snorkeling said that it was "not bad but not great eitehr". The Myan Ruins were pretty good. The roads are getting rough now because it is rainy season and if you schedule with an off-shore place you can not be guaranteed to get back in time. There were 6 people who scheduled off shore and never made it back in time. Belize is not a place you want to be stuck!!!
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Admiral

I would research my own Belize snorkeling on the internet. At Google type in Belize snorkeling and I'm sure you'll pull up companies that offer it at a fraction of the cost Carnival charges.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:03 PM
First Mate

Cave Tubing is great! Don't forget to get the 5.00 chicken bbq lunch at the end. Definitely worth the extra 5.00!! Enjoy
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Passenger

Again - I'm going to warn anyone sailing within the next 4-6 weeks. It is rainy season and the river had a flash flood on the 8th of September. The people from our ship were 1/2 way to the river when it happened. They were sent back and refunded the money. They described the river as "muddy, disgusting, and looking like a used toilet". Normally this excursion is great but if your going in the next 4-6 weeks I'd stay away from it.
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Beginner

I was in Belize last month, aboard the Valor. We booked the cave tubing with Coral Breeze. It was outstanding!!!

I had a party of 5****Commercial information deleted****
The one advantage of taking the ship's tour is that you don't have to stand in the long line to get tendered off the ship. We were in line, and it looked like we would be late, so I went down into the lounge, and talked to the ass't cruise director. He was very accomodating, and moved us up, out of line, and got us on the tender sooner.

Besides, you can do some awesome snorkeling in Cozumel, if that's one of your ports
Old September 17th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Admiral

I spoke to some folks that did the cave tubing this week and they were very happy with it and thought the tour was fantastic! Go figure? :o
Old September 17th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We just did a ship excursion through Carnival, snorkeling at Goffs caye and it was wonderful. The barrier reef there is the largest living reef in the world. We were picked up from the ship, so no need to take the long tender ride into town, I would check into that one.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 17th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Beginner

Default TUBBING

Just got back and you should do the tubbing
Old September 18th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Beginner

Question for the moderator -

I noticed that a reference I had made to the company I used in Belize was deleted, as was someone else's. While I understand that maybe you're trying to avoid the operators of these private tours from using these boards as free commercials, on the other hand you do allow praising of the cruise line's tours. Seems kind of unfair and biased.

Also, aren't you doing a disservice to those users of these boards? Is there another board to go to for recommendations??

Just curious...
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Admiral

We are trying toi work a solution to this. The problem is that if we allow this to occur we soon have unethical tour operators comming in and pretending to be happy customers or asking people to come to out boards and plug their business. (It has happened on more than one occasion) That is unfair to those that pay to advertise in other areas. Advertising is not allowed on the message boards at all. Some URL's that we allow are totally non-commercial or government based sites. It is obvious thbat the ships have all these tours so we allow that as we know they are not advertising or asking others to do so for them. Hopefully we will someday figure out a way to do this without these tour operators taking advantage. We do allow people to talk about their tours even when they are private but not include prices, phone numbers, websites etc. If you see the name such as Capt. Marvin it is easy enough to figure out how to do a search of his name. We do allow people to ask how a tour was, just not start a thread about how gfood someone was or try and point someone to a certain company.
Jim
Old September 20th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Admiral

We did the Altun Ha Mayan ruins tour last week, but talked to some people who had been snorkeling at Goff's Caye and LOVED it!

We snorkeled with the Stingrays in Grand Cayman and had a blast.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 20th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Passenger

Default Belize Excursions

I booked 6 of us on a private cave tubing tour. No worries at all, smaller group, and we got to see more because we were a small group. Back in time to shop on the docks. This is a unique experience in the caribbean. This is also a top diving and snorkeling stop. The ruins are good, but don't rival Uxmal nor Chitzen Itsa. I would go for the tubing because this is one of the few places you will be able to do it. You can get good snorkeling on many of the islands, Cozumel in particular.