Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Default Hate to bring this up, but

My son and I returned from the 8/27 sailing of the Triumph to Eastern Canada on 9/1. He had such a good time that I overlooked all the minor annoyances (i.e., not getting the early seating for dinner even though I booked seven months in advance and I waited to see the maitre'd who told me I could change, but then we got a note saying tough luck...) But here's someting that really frightened me. On Wed Sept 7, on the second day of school, the school nurse called me to tell me my son has head lice!! Has ANYONE ever heard of head lice being contracted on a cruise ship?? I am just horrified. It's a nightmare. Please, please tell me if this could be the case. I have to say, even though it was a great vacation, I am hesitant to go again. Ugh.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:51 AM
cali-croozer

Default Re: Hate to bring this up, but

About the changing your seating; you are not the only one. We tried, on 2 sailings, to change our dining assignment without any luck either.

About lice, I've never heard of it on cruise ships, but it could happen. We received a lice letter (notice from the office) almost every year the kids were in elementary school. It spreads easily (kids sharing combs, laying down on the carpet, stuffed animals, hugging each other). Fortunately, my kids never got it. I don't know how long it takes for them to show up, so who knows where he got it. It just takes one kid to spread it. Good luck................I'm sure you know, but remember to bag up all his stuffed animals for a while.
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:53 AM
cali-croozer

PS...........the school nurse won't give out names, but you can ask if any other kids have it....it might be going around.
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Maleficent

Also you can catch them from the beach...innocent playing around...i know its hard...but i dont think its too hard to get rid of. Also...early seating with kids is a must! We choose late because our kids are staying with my parents...we also like to check out the buffet before we make our dinner selection...and we take naps...so there are benefits for both seatings.
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Hate to bring this up, but

The nurse checked everyone; he's the only one who had it....I guess it makes sense that it could be communicated on the ship, since there's tons of kids together in Camp Carnival, plus towels and linens, who knows how hot the water is that they're washed in. I just wondered if any other parents had run into this. Thanks!
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:20 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

I have never heard about getting it from a ship, but it could easily happen, but it can easily happen going into Walmart too. I, as a kid, had it about 3 times, all from school. I was always clean, mom gave us a bath every night. It is amazing how quick you can get it. I was also a preschool teacher, and we had one child that kept coming in with it. WHile you do your cleaning, if you leave one thing not cleaned (even under couches etc) you can get it back easily. It is a pain in the butt, but it can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. The doctors told my mom to make sure that she blow dryed our hair on high heat until the hair was bone dry, and that would help kill the eggs. Good luck, I know how bad it can be!!! No ones fault really!!!

Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Admiral

It happens and can happen anywhere at anytime. I would think that contracting it on a ship is less likely than in many other places such as school but yes it is possible. As for the seating times you really should have been assigned to the time you requested as you had been booked so early. I would probably lay the blame there on your TA not specifically requesting that time and just figuring you can request it later if you did not get the desired time.
Jim

Old September 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Admiral

You neither need to be horrified or have nightmares. There is shampoo that will kill the lice with one application and usually comes with or you can buy an extra fine comb to remove any egg casings .
Kids transfer lice between them in schools , day care centers and whereever else they come in close contact.
Wash the bed linens in extra hot water, clean the toys carefully. This is a good time to use one of those portable steamers they are always selling on TV. Vacuum the bed very carefully and check for the return of the lice periodically. Do you hug your kids a lot? Check yourself for the lice as well.
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Hate to bring this up, but

Hi, Jim: Actually, I booked the cruise directly, without a TA, and saw that I was getting the 6:15 seating when they accepted my money. I just couldn't understand why they put me through the "charade" of standing in line (with my young son) for thirty minutes to have this "audience" with the maitre'd, only to have him go back on his promise. My mother, who has cruised 1000s of times, told me something upsetting -- that this little tete a tete with the maitre'd is your opportunity to buy him off in order to get your seating changed, and why didn't I offer him money? Well, if that's the case, what's to stop a cruise line from intentionally switching everyone's preference so they all have to pay off the dining room to get their desired meal time? That would be TERRIBLE. Paying people off just doesn't occur to me naturally. I would expect the cruise to honor the original agreement when I booked and paid, far in advance. It just didn't make any sense. We went only one night to dinner at 8:00, and no one even took our order until 8;40! You can't do that with a little child. It detracted from the experience, because the dining room is a lot of the fun of a cruise.

Anyhow...about the lice, it certainly is a drag, as everyone here has noted. What made me think of the ship was the lag time between us being on the ship and the nits surfacing on my son. It seems to be the right timing according to the information about head lice. I thought if many people told me, "Yes, it happened to us, too," I would feel like I solved the mystery of where it came from. Which, of course, is not the most important issue right now. Cleaning and not picking are! But if this is a common occurrence on ships, parents should really take extra care to be on the lookout. Don't learn the hard way!

Thanks!
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Oooh, Head lice. Eldest daughter had very long hair and got it twice in Gr.1&2. Use the special shampoo as directed and very importantly to look carefully through the head for hairs with nits on them for ?10 days/so. When there was just a few nits, it was easier for me just to pull the hair out of my daughter's head than try and pull it carefully down the long hair strand. Do this inspection in very good light; let your child watch TV or something while you do it.
Still do not like the idea of head lice; but remember it does not mean you are not hygienic. I always wonder about headrests/seats on airplanes too. Remember he could have got them before your cruise. Was he scratching the back of his neck/hairline?? How did the nurse find them ??
Make sure you do a thorough job in inspecting your son's hair; hopefully he won't get it again!! I agree it is a pain to do all that inspection,washing,etc. but it must be done!! Take care!!

Old September 9th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Hate to bring this up, but

Hi, Brenda:

We didn't fly to our cruise, we left from NY and we live in the 'burbs. He didn't mention anything until two days ago, which was only the second day of school, when he started itching his head in class and the teacher sent him down to the nurse. She found the nits and called me so I could spring into action. We've done it all -- the shampoo, the nit picking -- even shaved the poor child's head -- and cleaned the house and done laundry in hot water night and day. Bagged all the pillows and non-washable fabric things. She thought the incubation time between being on the cruise and the first sign of itching was about right. What a bummer.

Isn't it funny that people think lice comes from being unclean, and actually, lice is attracted to clean hair because it can latch right on. The nurse and pediatrician both told me specifically to dirty up my hair so I don't get any. (My hair is very long, too, so it would really be a pain!) But I've greased it up with oil and put it in a bun. The hygenic stigma doesn't bother me so much as the fact that I took him on a cruise to give him a good time and then dropped the ball and got him sick. I know, I know, a mother's guilt. Everyone else he's come into contact with from our town is nit-free, so the signs do tend to point to the ship. There are tons of kids, tons of people, there, and everyone gets towels on the deck at the pool. You just never, never know. I know they alert you to that virus thing when you get on the ship, but people should always (no matter where they are) think about lice when you're in close proximity with so many people. (And that ship was very crowded. I have cruised before and even with the same amount of passengers, other ships felt less crowded, they may have had bigger public spaces but smaller stateroom, I don't really know. )

Well, I do appreciate everyone's responses and advice!
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:41 PM
MPC

Suggestion for getting your time changed for dinner.....Last cruise my friend and I went on with Carnival, although we booked 6 months in advance and requested late seating, we were still give 5:15, we went and spoke to the Maitre'd and he said he would change it. Then we received a noted saying that they couldn't do it. So at 5:15, my friend and I showed up to the dinning room in our bathing suits, flip flops, baseball caps, smelling like suntan lotion, one look at us and the maitre'd said that he would be able to give us the 8:30 seating after all and we could come back then.
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:47 PM
cali-croozer

mmm.........about the dining times. On some cruiselines, like Princess, you get a confirmation of your dining time at the time of reservation (I only know about Princess because I booked my parents cruise on-line and there was a listing of how many spots were available for each dining time; they also had wait lists for the dining times). On Carnival, you can only request a dining time and it isn't confirmed until you check in and get your sail and sign. I prefer 6:15pm, and finally got it on our last cruise. On the other 2 we had 5:45 and it just seemed so early, but we dealt with it (tried to change the times, but no luck). Anyway, I have heard that it's harder to switch from late to early, especially when a lot of families are on board. You are not alone in thinking that Carnival should change their dining assignment system.

Good luck with your son...........a big hassle, but, unfortunately, very common.
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Glad you got the lice problem cleaned up0. It is a pain but I don't think it is common at all on ships, or at least cruiseships. Just one of those things I guess.
I can see where you were pushed aside because you booked direct and whoever did it really was nothing more than an order taker. This is one of the areas a TA comes in handy for. The Maitre D' did not accomodate you because he could not logistically and not because you did not bribe him. This has happened to us on a few cruises and just asking the Maitre D' to -please do his best has always worked. I have never 'slipped' him any money to do so. I have given the Maitre D' a tip after the cruise for providing great service but I will not bribe anyone. Just my principals I guess.
Jim

Old September 9th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Passenger

MPC - how creative! Good for you! I'm laughing just trying to picture it - 2 people in swimsuits surrounded by people all dressed up for a nice dinner! More power to you!

Old September 9th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

I have a good friend of mine had the same problem you did. Heard the same story from him. Maitre'd couldn't change there time, noway, so sorry, but better luck next time, so sorry . It just couldn't be changed for some reason.

Then he told the Maitre'd to remove him from there list, they would be eating @ other places, and his tip would be removed also. A few hours later, they recieved a message, that they have been changed . Amazing !

Happy cruising to all;
david

Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Admiral

mmm, Sounds like you have those lice under control!! Hopefully this will not stop you from cruising again!

Old September 9th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Admiral

I would definitely give the cruiseline a "heads up" so to speak. They need to check the steward who serviced your cabin as well as check the kid's club staff if your child attended.
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Cruisinpaige

When I want/need to switch dinner time, I round up some people in the place where they make you wait who want the opposite of what I want ("Hey does anyone want early seating, we have it and we want late") and we present ourselves to the maitre'd as a solution. How can he say no? He never has, and like you, I did not even think of bribing.
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:39 PM
deb 1958

Default Re: Re: Re: Hate to bring this up, but

We changed our dinner sitting by talking with someone at the purser's desk. All we had to do was ask. I guess we were just lucky.
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:54 PM
goofy

ugh. I hate even thinking about those creepy crawly things! Whenever I fly I look at that high backed seat and wonder whose head was there before mine......
I've read that many hotels are having a problem with bed bugs and such, and the cruise ship is really another type of hotel, so lice kind of makes sense????? ugh. sympathies to you
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:47 PM
tinna

mmm- listen, when you tell the ta or carnival or any other cruise agent that you want a particular time for dinner, i am sorry to tell you that it is only a request. there is no way for the cruise line to give everyone what they want, they will try to get the time that you want, remember, it is only a request. this information, came from a carnival employee.

one thing i was told that, people need to understand that the cruiselines cannot seat everyone at one time to eat at 615pm or any other time, so all request can't be honored.

i don't mean to sound harsh, but i also asked for early and i got late, but i did not mention it in my review nor did i let it keep me from having a good time. but i did talk to a carnival employee who did tell me somethings he felt i should know about it being a request, and it is not written in stone. this is just something to keep in mind when you make that dinner request time.