CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival Vs Royal Carribean (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/300285-carnival-vs-royal-carribean.html)

sunryz710 September 11th, 2005 04:38 PM

Carnival Vs Royal Carribean

Hi there..
I have taken 3 Carnival cruises and they have all been great except for the one where they put my luggage on the wrong ship.. lol ..but even without clothing it was still fun..

Just curious if there is anyone out there who had sailed on both Royal Carribean and Carnival and what your thoughts are..

How do they compare?
What do you like or dislike about each etc..?
Getting ready to book another cruise.. and trying to see if I should try Royal this time instead of Carnival..

Thanks,
Dawn

smoky9512 September 12th, 2005 09:24 AM

I have not sailed with Carnival but I have with RCL twice. RCL is great. I guess the sushi bar at the lunch buffet impressed me the most.

I have heard that Carnival is more friendly for singles than RCL.

Hope this helps.

bigsky September 12th, 2005 02:49 PM

I think there was another topic on this exact thing..but not sure. Anyways, I've been on many Carnival cruises. We were on Disney a few yrs ago and saw the Mariner docked there. It was so beautiful, we looked into going on it for a change. Just to see how it compared to Carnival.
I liked things about both. I like the entertainment much better on Carnival...hands down. I also liked the food court much better on Carnival. Much more open and not just the one line which is more like a buffet line on Royal. Now I've only been on the Mariner, so not sure if this is the way they have it on all. But there's many different sections on Carnival to eat and they seem to be open longer than Royal. Pizzaria on Carnival is great...24/7.
The cabins were pretty comparable. I liked the sofas on Royal better. The adult only section pool area on Royal was great. Very nice and quiet.
I guess too you have to look at which ships you might be thinking about. You can't compare one's line older ship to anothers newer.
I did see an older crown on Royal and a little more "stuffy", especially at dinnertime.
We enjoyed having the golfing/rock climbing/ice rink on the Mariner. We did enjoy it and going back next yr. with our kids. Royal doesn't have the slides like Carnival. THis might not be a big deal though. Kids enjoy them..I do too!
I personally thinks it's a good idea to try another line to see what YOU like. It's very subjective. What I might like on Carnival, another may hate. I say try it. The Voyager class has a great teen club. Not sure if you have kids...they have Johnny' Rockets which is a fun place to go.
Well, like I said, I like stuff about each one.
Any specific questions, feel free to email me.

txgirl05 September 12th, 2005 05:10 PM

We have sailed both Carnivla and Royal Caribbean! Although we had a blast on both cruises I would have to say I would pick Carnival over Royal Caribbean ANY day! I also thought that the two cruise lines were alot alike! The Royal Caribbean ships I have been on I thought were more open and classy; but some Carnival ships can be bright (The Celebration, Jubilee and Ecstasy!), but the Elation I thought was beautiful! Food wise I think that they were both great, but Carnival seemed to win that round too! On Royal Caribbean I think that the food in the WindJammer was better then the food in the dining room and on Carnival It was the exact opp. (I like the food in the dining room better then the lido! ex. I love there pizza!)

If you have anymore questions just ask! :D

Happy Camper September 14th, 2005 09:05 AM

Try RCL and see what you think. I love Carnival best out of the NCL, RCL and CCL I've been on but hubby and I wanted to try something different - been on Carnival only recently - so we are trying a new NCL ship. I liked RCL - been on 6 of their cruises - not on the Voyager class yet but would love to try it sometime. It is always nice to try another line and see for yourself. Although in the end you may like Carnival better you will still have fun exploring a new ship. Personally I always choose by route and price. Lately Carnival has gone where we want the cheapest - had their credit card and got money off the cruise - but now I have NCL credit card so they are the cheapest. We'll see.... :) At least it is something different - probably back on Carnival next year..:) :) Debbie

stalco September 14th, 2005 09:20 AM

We have been on 2 Carnival and 1 Royal Caribbean cruises. There are pros and cons for both. Our second Carnival cruise was on a very old ship after our first one on a brand new ship. Not a good choice on our part. The ship was small and very smelly. Although it was a nice cruise the ship left alot to me desired. We decided to try Royal Caribbean and the ship was wonderful, however we did not enjoy the cruise director and activities near as much. For that reason we have come back to Carnival and are going out on the Spirit in December. We travel with several couples and we all have the same feelings. We are in our late 40's & early 50's but enjoy having a great time. I would sail Royal Caribbean again but prefer Carnival.