Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Any Thoughts of N.O. Port Returning To Normal

I saw pictures of the port this morning, and it doesn't look to bad. I was wondering if anyone has heard of the progress? Do you think that the ships will again start docking there soon?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:35 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.

Ships will most likely not return to the New Orleans Port until the majority of the city is functioning again. They just finally opened their aiport to commercial airlines again this week.

I'd say they are still a long ways away from starting cruises in N.O. again.

Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean 10/27/2007

Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean 2/24/2008

Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii Circle Cruise - Fall 2008

Past Cruises:
Grand Princess - W. Caribbean - Jan 2006
Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - Jan 2005
Radiance of The Seas - September 2006 - 14 nights R/T Los Angeles to Hawaii
Old September 16th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Passenger

I hope not and would cancel my cruise if they returned too soon.
I orginially booked the Conquest to see NO the way it once was.
I would not wish to go there until the city has restored most everything.
I would guess at least a year.
Old September 16th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Passenger

I'm with you Larry77. I am booked on the Conquest 12/4/05 and wanted to see NO the way it was. But would cancel if they try to send us there now. I already booked my hotel and am excited about Galveston. The only reason I chose NO in the first place was the ports of call the Conquest visits, much more interesting than the Elation.
Old September 16th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Admiral

At this time, the Conquest is scheduled to be in Galveston till 2007, so it looks like it will be a while before NOLA sees ships.
Old September 16th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Admiral

The Conquest is going to be in Galveston for a while...The Mayor of the City has been a very vocal advocate for a new cruise terminal,( long before Katrina but could not convince the business community and cruise lines to make the investment ) that will be bigger and handle more ships and make parking and getting in/out much easier for the cruise customers

Common sense would indicate that as part of the rebuilding effort a new terminal should be a key component..so if that means in the short term (1 year) we don't have cruise ships, if it means having a new terminal that can be state of the art, I would say that is a wise business move and cost efficient....Again I might suggest to my fellow CM'ers, don't be surprise if Carnival and RCI partner with the city,state and federal government to announce a joint effort to build this new cruise terminal in the very near future

New Orleans is now focused on having Sugar Bowl (at LSU stadium in Baton Rouge), Mardi Gras, Jazzfest, Essence Festival and 2006 Bayou Classic as a symbolic gesture as much for the locals as for the out of town guest..then the focus will be on gaining back the convention business, then the cruise business..But I also think you will see increase cruise capacity in Mobile and Gulfport Ms, as part of the rebuilding effort to provide jobs for alot of out of work folks

Good things will come out of this tragedy
Old September 16th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Venice, I think you are very right. This was a wake up call for a lot of people. I just hope the the safety features can be done, before people start coming back.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 18th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Admiral

Venice - it is truly amazing what has been accomplished so far - the people in your part of the US seem to have a great fighting spirit. We here in Canada wish you good luck in all that is yet to come. We want to see New Orleans more than ever now - we can't help but admire a city that can rebuild after such a calamity. I did so much research because we were to sail on the Conquest in March - so I know of so many of the places that were so badly hit. Take care and good luck to you all.

tfn Jennifer
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:02 PM
Passenger

We, too, were booked on the Conquest Dec 4 sailing. We had reservations to fly to NO Friday and enjoy the beautiful city for a couple of days. We changed our cruise to the Glory for the same week. Our wedding anniversary is that week and we just want to be someplace where the white stuff on the ground is warm, not cold and needing to be shoveled! I'm not even looking at ports until we get a lot closer to sailing date; this is one nasty hurricane season!
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Johacat,

I will be on that cruise along with you. Looking forward to a great cruise out of Galveston (hopefully).
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Well, I saw a news report on Fox I think and in the background of NO was a CCL ship that looked to be of the Fantsy Class. I have no idea who is on it at the present time. I also do not believe that NO will become much of a port for at least months as you must have all the infrastructure up and running for people to get there and stay there etc. As for poor Galvaston! Lord only knows what will happen there this Friday and Sat as it looks like Rita is going to devastate that area.
Jim
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Well, I saw a news report on Fox I think and in the background of NO was a CCL ship that looked to be of the Fantsy Class. I have no idea who is on it at the present time. I also do not believe that NO will become much of a port for at least months as you must have all the infrastructure up and running for people to get there and stay there etc. As for poor Galvaston! Lord only knows what will happen there this Friday and Sat as it looks like Rita is going to devastate that area.
Jim