Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Update on Passport/Katrina Issue

For those of you that do not know what happened:

On 07.26 I applied for my passport. Being in Wisconsin, the forms were sent to New Orleans. Of course you know what happened next, Katrina. I recieved a call from my Clerk of Courts Office, this is where I applied for my passport at, and was told to call the NPIC (National Passport Information Center) and find out what to do. I was told by NPIC to wait until I heard something more from them or until 09.23, which would be 4 weeks prior to sailing. On 09.13 I recieved a postcard from the NPIC telling me to call them. Calling them I found out that I would have to have my pics taken again and reapply. I would not have to pay the passport fees, but did have to pay to have the forms express mailed, Attention Katrina. Today I recieved my passport. Whew ....

While I realize that I would not have needed my passport for a couple more years I wanted to be sure and thought why not get it now instead of waiting.

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

kytten_kat,

Glad you got that all straighten out
I'm thinking after 12/31/05, you must have a passport to leave the country. We're ( the wife and I ) are fling to Maimi in May 2006, to board the Valor. I'm thinking about waiting till Jan. 2006 to get ours.

Happy cruising;
david
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Actually David the passport requirements have undergone another change ... this is what the Carnival site says ... the gov site says basically the same thing ...

What are the new passport requirements?

On 9/2/05, the U.S. State Department revised the original proposed "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative." The proposed rules will require ALL U.S. and Canadian Citizens to carry a passport (unexpired) for travel to or from certain countries/areas that were previously exempt. This includes children and infants.

The proposed implementation is as follows: (that which is in italics is from the gov site as well)

* December 31, 2006 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Note: This will affect guests traveling on cruises that return to the U.S. after 12/30/06.

* December 31, 2007 - Passport required for all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel. Note: This will affect guests traveling on cruises that return to the U.S. after 12/30/07.

Once the proposed rules are finalized - either in their current form or a modified form - the cruise industry will communicate that information to our travel agent partners and guests. In the meantime, individuals with future travel plans that would be affected by the proposed new rules are strongly encouraged to obtain a passport now.

You may print a passport application or get additional information from the government on this subject by visiting: http://travel.state.gov/passport

Please check back on our web site for future updates.
I hope this helps ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old September 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West
Default Passport

If thats the case,and if I'm reading that right, we won't need one till 2007.
Thanks kytten_kat for sharing the news and updates.

Happy cruising;
david 8)
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999