Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Default My cruise surprises

I started posting my "Things That Surprised Me About My Last Cruise" (on Carniva Miracle) list one at a time, but decided to just throw them all out! I didn't expect to have so many surprises and I'm still a little up in the air as to the conclusion I am drawing.

Here's the list:

Things That Surprised Me About This Cruise
1. How mediocre the food was, in general
2. How many times we ate dinner on the Lido deck
3. That I donít like the early seating

Maybe my taste buds are dying or something, but the food was a bit too bland for my taste this time around. Early dining just didn't work - not enough time after the ports, which I think explains why we ate at the Lido so much.

4. How much I enjoyed shopping at the shops onboard
5. That Iíve apparently lost my taste for bingo!
6. How much I enjoyed the art auction
7. How LITTLE I saw my teen!
8. How much he loved hanging out with the other teens
9. That I enjoyed a group tour

I'm not a big fan of group tours, but both of ours really worked for us. Maybe it has a lot to do with the other people on your tour.

10. How much I really want to try another cruise line

Again, I really like Carnival, but think there is also another cruiseline out there for me.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:16 AM
First Mate

would suggest that you try Celebrity or Holland for better food and better service.For more action with children you might want to try RCL.
Old September 30th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West
Default "Things That Surprised Me About My Last Cruise"

[/b] Dorothy,

Its amazing how things change in our life. From years to years, what we once enjoyed and loved every minute of, it just don't seem like fun anymore, or just not what we want to do. Or something totally different. Something we wouldn't have thought twice about earily, we enjoy doing now.

I now what you mean about changing cruiselines. We've had great service with Carnival, but are just wanting to try something different. Give Princess a try. I've never sailed with them, but have alot of friends that do.

Happy sailing and smooth seas;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old September 30th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Admiral

funny how things change with experience and time.
We have found that over the years we have kind of outgrown Carnival. Nothing wrong with Carnival, its just that we are looking for something more and something different. We have fallen in love with Princess.
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Funny you two should mention Princess, it's been on my wish list for a few months. I've already committed to a group cruise with some friends, but we think it will be on Royal Caribbean (great deal on the Legend for Nov 06).

I've got a short cruise on the Fantasy with my sisters, but the next long cruise will be on Princess.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 30th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Yeoman

I have only ever sailed on Carnival as well, and the Spirit Class being my favorite, I have to say that I really like Carnival. Not the classiest cruise line in the world, but a ton of fun. Holland or Celebrity may be a little too stuffy for me as a 30 something year old with no children. (Just my opinion). I too thought the food was mediocre, but the ships are way too much fun. I am sailing on RCCL for the first time next year, and I am going to be on Freedom of the Seas. I am afraid that the ship will be too big and crowded for me. The Spirit class ships are big but not that big and never felt over crowded. After this one cruise with RCCL, I will be back to my Carnival.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:47 PM
Yeoman

Default My Cruise Surprises

We have been on Voyager and Explorer and did not find them crowded at all. But Freedom...just don't know. That's a lot of passengers, so I guess we will wait for reviews. We loved Valor, but the decor on Legend seemed very dark and urns everywhere! I shudder whenever I see an urn. The only other drawbacks that I see are the pools on Carnival ships. They are awful compared to Princess and RCCL ships. All cabins on all Carnival ships are exactly alike thanks to one man doing all the "decorating". Other ships are almost always a pleasant surprise.
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:56 PM
Familiar Face

test

Carnival Sensation, Dec. 2004
Carnival Sensation, Dec. 2006
Carnival Fascination, Dec. 2009
Carnival Elation
Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla
Default Know whats funny???

This will be my first cruise EVER on the Carnival Victory Oct 30th...27 more days!!! I am really excited, and anxious to see what everyone talks about. I have nothing to compare Carnival to, so in March, I am going to go on a 4 nights with my daughter ( whos 10) probably on another cruise line JUST TO SEE for myself..how different another cruise line might be..BUT my family cruises alot, and loves Carnival..they say its more a fun festive cruiseline. My older brother likes Royal Carribean Better than Carnival, because he says the food is better, and its more "classy"...but hey thats my brother and he always is like that hahahaha.
I guess I am just going to try different cruise lines and make my own decision! I am hoping though that Carnival is great...going on the Victory...and I am not a picky person, so I will have a good time no matter what...its all what you make it right???
I am going to ask though..has anyone ever been on Celebrity Cruise Lines? Hows that cruise line? Thanks all oh p.s. another catch is Carnival seemed to be cheaper price wise when I booked my cruise than other cruise lines..Royal Carribean seemed expensive.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Dorothy,

Interesting to read your post cos if you remember I felt exactly the same early this year following my cruise on the Carnival Victory lasgt December - but I was hounded by people for saying that i felt Carnival had become a bit to bland for me with food, service and evetything in general. I remember you saying that I was being negative and now, you, like JOC are beginning to see and understand some fo what I trying to highlight.

it would seem that those of us who have saield Carnival in the pst and are now going a few years later can see a difference and unfortuantely, it seems to be downward.

Interesting to read your views though and I am glad I am not alone.

Regards,
Kimmiegirl
Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default NOOO!!!!

Ok kimmiegirl you did not like the Carnival Victory??? Oh boy...I guess when I go I just have to wait and see for myself..
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Hi Jo,

It was just that after 6 eyars away from Carnival (last sailing was on the Inspiration in 1998) we noticed how more 'cheap adn cheerful' it ahd become with tbe service way down and the food mediocre too. Teh Victory itself isa beautfil ship inside aand our balcony cabin was great. It was jsut the general feeling of being very basic but I think at that time, there were staff issues adnnhopefully by now they have been resolved.

of course, after 6 years away from Carnival, they have most probably taken millions on cruises and are just aiming to a bigger market and maybe for me, the Victory is too big with over 3,000 passengers.

Will also be trying Princess next as I have been told by many friends that they are their preferred cruiseline so will find out for myself.

I am sure and your daughter will have fun come what may

REgards,
KG
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:48 PM
Admiral

You have experience that I don't have, Kimmie. I don't think Carnival has gone "down" - or at least not in my short cruise experience, I just think I am noticing things now I didn't before.

I was very careful in writing both my review and my comments to not bash Carnival. What I think gets folks on the boards going are comments that are seen as negatively bashing, rather than an overall fair review or comment, with perhaps a few critical comments.

I have always liked reading reviews and comments on both sides of the cruising fence. What I *don't* like are comments and reviews that seem to be ALL negative (or all positive for that matter) that seem to say "I hate such and such cruiselines, they've really gone downhill" but don't give specifics or other worthwhile comments.

Please post if you try Princess. We have them on our list and have just today booked a Celebrity cruise. I'm still a Carnival fan, just need to see what else is out there. Good luck.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Admiral

i couldn't agree with you more Dorothy, you are right, there is nothing wrong with Carnival, its a good basic cruise line, you aren't Carnival bashing, you are expressing your viewpoint and your feelings. As i mentioned before, we have basically outgrown Carnival, we want more/different than what they offer.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:43 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks, Lisa. I actually want to try every cruiseline out there! I figure once I try them all I can say with authority which I really like the best.

We are playing with the idea of a RCCL cruise in February (although with 2 cruises booked and one on the burner, not sure if the checkbook can afford a 4th!) and most definitely a Princess in 2007.

I also want to try something REALLY different in the form of Windstar and Windjammer.

My sister wants to get me on *her* fav, Holland, so by the time I try all these and a few more I'll know what works best for me!

My son and I still really like Carnival, but my dh probably won't sail them again. Isn't it nice we have so many choices?

dorothy

Carnival Sensation, Dec. 2004
Carnival Sensation, Dec. 2006
Carnival Fascination, Dec. 2009
Carnival Elation
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hi

I mean this with NO disrespect...BUT why are people on Carnivals message boards posting about how they've outgrown Carnival and want other cruise lines..isn't this message board about Carnival?
I mean trust me I am probably going to try other cruiselines in the future, but I am not going to come to Carnival's message board and talk about it.
Anyhow...thanks~Jo
Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:03 PM
Admiral

The original post was about things I learned on my last cruise - my last CARNIVAL cruise, so it seemed appropriate to post it here on the Carnival board.

It was my experience on a Carnival ship that led to my list of "surprises".

And BTW, the post above from bossygossy was actually from ME (plain old Dorothy). Bossy is my sister and while helping her fix her countdown clock and signature I signed in as her and forgot to sign out!

Sorry sis!!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04