Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default question on Carnival Glory and question on airfares

I have 2 questions -- Has anyone been on the Carnival Glory? Do you like her?? Is she in the same class as the Spirit or Conquest?

Question 2 -- is it cheaper to have airfares scheduled WITH the cruise -- or to do it separate? I will fly in a day earlier since my last cruise, my plane was delayed and if we had flown in the day of the cruise, we would have missed the ship!!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Glory is a Conquest class ship.

I've been on the Glory and liked it a lot (read my review - Sept 04). Floor plan is a little confusing at first, but lots of activities - lots of bells and whistles.

Enjoy!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

cheryl:

Compare the cruise line air with what you can get it for on your own. You do not have to book the cruise air at the time you book the cruise.

Cruise air is "almost" always more expensive than you can get it on your own, especially with domestic roundtrip air, and if you want to fly in the day before you will have to pay the additional charge for an "air deviation." You may not have to pay it if you are flying in from across the country. Without an air deviation you will not be able to choose the flight times or air lines with cruise air.

I have only booked domestic cruise air once when it was actually a very good deal. Every other time I have done it myself and saved money and had better flights.

So check the prices and you will probably end up booking your own.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 5th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

I use a travel agent and always get a really good deal on airfare. Just some advise. Good luck and have fun.
Old October 5th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

HI Cheryl,
I would recommend a Glory cruise, having just been on her last month, it was a great cruise. Here is a link to a review I wrote on our Glory cruise:

Carnival Glory cruise, Sept. 10, 2005

AS for the airfare, do check all the major carriers and you may find it cheaper to book on your own, also check what the price is through the cruiseline, but its normally less expensive if you book it yourself and you can pick the day/time and the airline of your choice.

I also have some photo's of Glory:

Pics of Glory

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Captain

we have laways go throu a travel agent get a good price fo the cruise and airfar
Old October 5th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Admiral

price it out both ways. Usually you can get a better route and a better rate if you book it yourself. Since you are flying in the day before you will have to pay the extra for an air deviation if you choose to use the cruise lines air.
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Beginner

Will be on the Glory October 29th and I did my airfare separately thru SW
roundtrip for 3 people $350.00 no layovers Total.
I am flying out Friday morning, TA advised me if I booked my own air, that if they cancel the flight I had to leave plenty of time, so if they cancel, I get in my car and DRIVE!!!

23 DAYS TO GO....YAHOO!!!!! [/b]
Old October 6th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Familiar Face

I have been on both the Spirit and the Glory. They are two different classes. The Spirit was the first ship of its class, thus the "Spirit" class. The Glory is of the Destiny class. While the Glory is bigger and slightly newer than the Spirit, the blueprint from which the Glory was built was an older design than the Spirit's. I liked the Spirit better than the Glory. Interior decor aside, the Spirit has nicer lines, a nicer profile and can travel faster. The Glory is wider and more stable, but the Spirit is more innovative.

I found the service, the food and the activities far more desirable on the Spirit than on the Glory.

Safe Travels.
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Glory

My db went on the Glory last week. He said it was a beautiful ship. I knew the outside was beautiful because I went to wave good bye to a cruise group leaving on her.

I would book airfare with the cruise company because the ship will wait for you if your flight is late. If you book your airfare on your own, that is exactly where you will be, on your own.

Happy Cruising!
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Hi Cheryl,
We have sailed from Port Canaveral a couple of times and once on the Glory. It was one of our best cruises and best food and we liked her better than the Spirit. We always book our own flights into Orlando and can usually get it for around $220 from LAX so it should be a lot less for you. I grew up in Cocoa Beach so we always come in a day or two and visit. If you do, I recommend booking the Hampton Inn, about 3 miles south of the port. They offer a complimentary breakfast, great views from boths sides (ask for the 8th floor) and have a pathway to the beach. You can rent a car from Budget and their return location is just 1/4 mile south of the port. You could also have dinner at Grills at the port and print their discount coupon off their website. Have a great time whatever you decide to do!

BJ Keen: I know we all thought the ship would wait but last month one of our cruisers, who booked with the cruiseline, missed the first 2 days of our Alaskan cruise because the first leg of his trip was delayed due to a mechanical malfunction! He missed his connection and arrived in Vancouver 2 hours after the ship left!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old October 7th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If you book your air through the cruise line and the flight is late by a half hour or an hour they may hold the ship but they are not going to hold the ship if your flight is canceled or if the flight is excessively late.

Don't get the idea that just because you booked your air through the cruise line they will take full responsibility of getting you to the ship if something goes wrong. They are merely acting as an agent for the airline. If something goes wrong and you miss the ship you are still on your own.

The cruise line may assist you but they are not obligated to do so. This is why travel insurance so important.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me