Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Which is better snorkeling...Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

Sailing the Inspiration in November and our time in short in Grand Cayman - didn't know where the snorkeling was better. Any one wish to compare the two?
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Speaking from my own personal experience i would pick Cozumel over Grand Caymen for snorkeling. In Grand Caymen do a Sting Ray City/sandbar tour with snorkeling, that's the best of both worlds. In Cozumel there is wonderful snorkeling at the reefs. We did a ships tour to the Palencaar Reef and it was amazing! saw so much marine life including a sea turtle, barracuda and eel. The snorkeling in Cozumel was so easy! there is a gentle current that pushes you along, so you can basically just float along.
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Thats a tough question I've snorkeled in both places. And if I should return, I would do both. So my answer to you is, do both places.
The water in G. C. & Coz. are great !

Happy Sailing;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Passenger

I've snorkeled at both (and in several other ports) we measure all of our experiences against Cozumel. In our book Cozumel is a 10, Grand Cayman an 8.5-9 Grenada a 4, etc... You will have a great time in either spot. I agree that the Sting Ray city at GC is a must do. Remember..sometimes weather/wind can make snorkeling difficult in some ports so I'd say do one or both, don't worry about "missing the best one" as both a wonderful.

Enjoy!
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Passenger

while in Cozumel take a cab to Channaub [sp] National Park and you can snokel right off the beach. Relatively inexpensive and you spend as much time there as you'd like.
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cozumel:

If you are inexperienced, then go to Chankanaab and snorkel right off the beach. If you want more of a deep water experience take a Columbia or Palancar reef snorkel. These two reefs are great for diving but are fantastic for snorkeling.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to agree with the previous posters, do your snokeling in Cozumel. Also at Chanakaab Park is the dolphin swim, which we just did on the last visit there, it was awesome!

You may want to consider snorkeling with the Sting Rays in Grand Cayman, one of the best excursions you can do there if you haven't already done that.

Message Boards Moderator