Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default carnival vacation club

Is the carnival vacation club worth the $$? Anyone have dealings with it??
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: carnival vacation club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
Is the carnival vacation club worth the $$? Anyone have dealings with it??
My understanding is that you pre-pay for a cruise (or part of one) and you can take it at a later date, and it can be with any of the World's Leading Cruise Lines. Is that how it works?
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Admiral

We bought into this program last November and have only used it once so far. Our Liberty cruise will be the big test. You buy points and use them like a timeshare. The number of points for each cruise goes up and down just like the prices on any website. We used 8200 for our upcoming cruise and now it would be over 10,000. You get VIP status with embarking and debarking. We were the 1st ones to board when we did the 3 day on the Paradise. We got treats in our room and a personal invitation to the Captain's Party and a person introduction to the Captain. Supposedly we are the first in line for upgrades so we are waiting to see what cabin we get next month since we booked a balcony gty 9 months ago. We also go six 1-week resort vacations, two DVDs, two 5-day Cabo stays. Now we can use our points on all Carnival line ships so we have more flexiblity and like that. To us it is nice that our next few cruises are already paid for so time will tell.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old October 9th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Ca is correct in how it works. Not sure if it is worth it or not. I have heard complaints but I have heard complaints about everything CCl so who knows. CA, it would be nice if you can report on your experiance and tell us all if it is really worth it.
Jim
Old October 9th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Jim,
I'll let you know soon. We just found out our cabin 8203 is the 2nd one forward on the Verandah deck with a connecting door. Believe me when I say I'm not complaining because I am very thankful to be able to afford to cruise but when we bought into the program we were told we would get the best cabins and/or upgrades and I just think this cabin what we would consider "an upgrade". We did go from a 8A to 8C but the location is our concern. We'll see when I call how they handle this. We just might have to use more points and upgrade to a suite.

Also not too sure if it is worth it. We have found great deals on our Military website that would be considered just as good or better. Like I said, at least we know we have some cruises already paid for and now they opened it up to the other lines so we have more cruiseline flexibility.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Yeoman

For us it wasn't worth it at all. If you only use it for cruises, it's cheaper to book them alone. The extra money that you pay is for the "extras"...like the land vacations. They told us that you stay in 5* hotels...after we got home to look at the info, they were more like 1 and 2* hotels. Plus we couldn't get any dates that we wanted.
We ended up canceling....but as they explained, you buy pkg's that have so many points in them. When you book a cruise, you use points. Depending on what type of cabin and time of the yr. depends on how many points u would use. Only certain ships have this program for you to sign up. I was told u couldn't do it online. They give you some priority boarding and disembarking...but I think everyone signed up for it cuz everyone was getting off the ship as we were.
You have like three days to cancel once you get off the ship. But I find it "odd" that they didn't have the brochure of the hotels that they offer when you're thinking about signing up. Some may like it, but we didn't think it was worth the $$$.
Old October 9th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Admiral

That is interesting! They had no brochures on the Glory when we were there a few weeks ago either! Said that they had run out. I'll stil wait and watch the reports that come in on them. The amounts that they are asking for the cruise are the same or higher than I can get through and agent.
Jim
Old October 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Yeoman

Default re: Vacation club

Two people have posted on this thread that got a cabin forward. On the Valor we were the first cabin next to the bridge. I too had misgivings, but really liked the location. My dh loved watching the activity on the bridge. Now we've been way back and way forward and who cares as long as we're not under or over the disco!
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07