Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default Are the locals at the Caymans as pushy as the Cozumel locals

I was wondering if you all could tell me the answer to this? I had a hard time in Cozumel pushing locals away who were hawking things in my face while I struggled to walk down the streets. It got a bit much as I am not a big shopper but I did want to walk around a bit. I decided from the advice I received here to try to walk around the Caymans and I was wondering if they are pushy like the locals in Cozumel? Ro

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:57 PM
First Mate

Never found Cozumel locals to be pushy, so I can't say either way.
Carnival Destiny 3-9-97
Carnival Sensation 3-14-98
Carnival Imagination 3-13-99
Carnival Spirit 3-8-03
Carnival Valor 3-20-05
Carnival Fantasy 9-1-05
Carnival Liberty 1-7-06
Carnival Legend 8-16-06
Carnival Miracle 5-16-09
Carnival Splendor 5-17-13

Carnival Sunshine
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:05 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Absolutly NOT.

I visited Gr. Cayman MANY years ago (1990 I think) and again 3/04 when I also was in Cozumel. I suspect the difference has 2 bases: Grand Cayman was originally British and the standard of liveing, educational level and average income is much higher than Mexico. I see the same thing in Costa Rica where the educational level is also much higher.
Old October 9th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Definately not. IN the GC they could care less. :o Very much like a store in the USA. Also no bargaining.
Jim
Old October 9th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Captain

i don't think the people in cozumel were pushy the people in jamaica
are pushy i even had a person grab at me and tell me i was a rued person
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Admiral

I agree with Jim. It is almost like you are in 'their way' and they do not need the tourists around!!lol They were not rude or anything though.
Yes-Jamaica was very bad/pushy.
I did not find Coz. bad at all -maybe we did not go to the 'pushy'-part of town.
Hope you have a great cruise.
Old October 9th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Admiral

I understand why they are pushy in Jamacia as the poverty level is so bad that selling you something maight mean feeding their family that night or not. At least they are not stealing it from you like they were doing in St Croix which is a US Territory! As for rudeness, you may have done something that you do not even know that they see as being rude. Pride and respect are the only thing many locals have they can claim they own so yes, they put a high expectation on it. We have always had a great time in Jamacia and get along fine with the locals. Jamacians are a touchy-feely type of people and I have seen people pull away or cring when this large, dreadlocked, smelly and poorly dressed person come up to them or even puts their arm around you. They see this and are offended that you think so little of them and treat them as inferiors. While very few people ever mean to offend, they often do without even knowing they are. Get to know them and accept them and you will find your stay in Jamacia to be a really wonderful experiance with some locals you might even stay in touch with or at least seek out every time you come to their island. That is the other thing, remember it is their island.
As for Cozumel, we have noticed that they are getting a little more 'pushy' and it is not the friendly hawking of wares that used to be everywhere. Less fun to dicker and not as easy either.
Jim
Old October 10th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Yeoman

Actually, we did find them very pushy in Cozumel along the streets. I was getting very aggitated. But it was a nice relief to find them non existent in GC. This is something my hubby and I remarked about when we were walking along the streets. No one around to ask u to buy this or that. THey were in the stores just like going to a "mall".
In Cozumel now, I just hit my favorite store and restaurant at the end and take a cab back.