Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Passenger

Default Third Party Travel Agent VS Carnival Vacation Planner??

I have booked Glory 3/25/06 through Carnival. Interestingly enough, others in my party booked through a third party and they have been getting upgrades and later specials. My Carnival Rep says no combined specials (I got past guest and booked during August upgrade specials). The others did too but they are now getting a further break with a new residency special. My rep says I could get a better deal with the residency special but I would lose my upgrade!!
Anyone have any experience with this? How could third party agents get their clients better and better deals and Carnival can't/won't??
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

With the advent, several months back, of Carnival's "level playing field" pricing policies, I can't think why this would be the case.

It would be different if the travel agent had group space, and was less expensive originally.

All the "upgrade" specials Carnival offers are available from travel agents as well.

I suspect that you just got yourself a lazy PVP, who isn't willing to go the extra mile for you.

You have enough time that you could simply take your existing booking and transfer it to a travel agent of your choice.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Passenger

Thanks Kuki!
I didn't realize I could transfer my booking! Anything special i should know about that? I will call the same TA that the other cruisers are using and check it out!

I have sent 8 other families to this particular Vac. Planner with Carnival, and she is really unwilling to give an inch! The first time I booked through Carnival, I had a wonderful fellow who upgraded our booking at least twice before we sailed. I feel bad to have sent so many of my friends to this gal. I read another post reminding me that a TA works for me, but the Carnival Rep does not!
Old October 12th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Passenger

Default Better Rate!!

I called the Travel Agent that those others in my group booked through and she CAN get me a better rate!! I am so excited! I will be sharing this with the rest of the group that booked through the same Carnival Vacation Planner. Thanks for the tip!
Old October 12th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Wonderful news!! Glad my minor tip was able to save you and your friends and family a bunch of money! 8)

Personally I always think you are better off booking with a professional travel agent
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Admiral

that's great news! 8) I always book with a Professional Travel agent. 9 times out of 10 they can meet or beat prices. A good agent will work with you and help of you have any problems.
FYI - the PVP at Carnival are NOT travel agents, they do not work for an ASTA certified travel agency.
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Passenger

Default How does it work? Anybody, anybody??

How can a third party give us a break? Do they forego some commission? If they do, how can they profit?

PS. Thanks for the advice, I wish I had seen this forum before I booked this cruise. I really had a great Vac. Planner the last time so I figured they would all be as good.