Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Danalee
Default Please Help!!! Buying Diamonds

I am wanting to buy a diamond. could someone please tell me the best place with the best prices to buy them. i am going on the elation 4-30-06 to Bahamas,St. thomas,Puerto Rico & Grand Turk. Will i have any luck there? [/img]
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

I like shopping at Cardows Jewelers in St. Thomas Beautiful thing, guaranteed by Carnival and nice quality
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The Caribbean is no longer the best spot for bargains on Jewellery, as it used to be.

I would be very careful about buying high end jewellery. Research before you go to know what prices are like at home.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Danalee--IMO it is best to find a reputable Jewlary here in the States rather than shop in St Thomas or any other place in the Carribean. Go shop at home using the 4 grades to compare. Then look at one on your cruise to determine if you will be getting a better bargain. A good shopper will have a better bargain at home than overseas.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old October 16th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Default The best thing to do is....

find exactly what you want here in the States and price it at various jewelers. Then go to Diamond's International and see if they can beat the price. Also AH Rise in St Thomas is another place to check the prices.

But diamonds are an area that you must know your business.

First, never buy diamonds for an investment.
Second, to the naked eye a G or H will look just as good as a D E or F.
Never buy SI2 (to many flaws for my taste that can be seen by the naked eye)

Most of what Diamonds International puts in the "bracelets" in the counter are I or J (or worse) and SI2. That is for the tourist. But you can ask for a better grade and they will have it.

As long as you establish the exact quality you want and price it before you go, then you can see if you really save any money. I will say that both DI and AH Rise diamonds were the exact quality they told me when I had them checked back home. My last purchase from A H Rise was a pair of diamond earrings and I saved $80.00 (on a $500.00 pair of earrings) plus I saved almost $50.00 in sales tax (since our sales tax is almost 10%) in the summer of 2004. It was a design I had been looking for and they had it at a better price.

Also, I have purchased 2 diamond tennis bracelets from Diamonds International because I liked their design. They design their own stuff. They also carry the standard s design and x design...but they carry their own design as well and I was looking for something different.

Both bracelets are over 5 years ago and match. One is a 1 carat and the other is a 3 carat ... in the same design and I wear them together.

Hope this info helps...

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Familiar Face

Fifteen years ago my wife and I purchased diamond weddings in Ocho Rios Jamaica.

We had them looked at and appraised as soon as we returned home. We were told they are worth twice what we paid for them. BUT that was 15 years ago.

Good Luck

Larry

Valor Jan 8, 2006
Triumph May 12 2007
Triumph November 3,2007
Liberty November 22, 2008
Miracle March 4, 2010
Glory Jan 16, 2011
Spirit Sept 11, 2012
Fascination September 22, 2014 Kansas Concert, Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

The best advice I can give you is know before you go. Check out your local jewelry stores and find what you like for design, color, cut, clarity and carat weight. Then you will be able to comparison shop. I've found, for the most part, the prices at home were better. Also, I live in NH and we don't have a state sales tax so duty free for me really isn't a bargain unless the actual price is less that what I would pay at home.