Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:24 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to AmazingAngel
Default Best time to embark?

When is the best time to get to the port you are embarking from? OUr last cruise we got there about noon and the ship left at 4pm. The line up was HUGE! I realize there will be a line up no matter what but sure would have been nice closer to the front! I also noticed on our last cruise there were two different sections for line ups one have was not as bad as our line up. Is the other line up for past Carnival cruisers??
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:40 PM
Admiral

I have always suspected that cruisers want to board early for a number of reasons

a) we are excited and can't wait to get on the ship, because after all, this is what we have been planning for a long time

b) we want to make sure we get first crack at the spa and specialize dinner reservations (as more and more cruise lines allow this to happen online in advance, this reason why be diminish)

c) smart cruisers come in the night before and the hotels throw you out early and you have no where else to go, so you go to the ship

with that logic, if the above didn't matter, the lines should die down by 2 pm
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM
Yeoman

My poor head is spinning with everything I read, but from what I have gathered, in some cases, you can't even get into your room until 2 pmish.

It's all the luck of the draw I guess. I am driving down to Houston on the saturday before, staying with riends who are coming with, and they say about noon we will be there, since we are doing the "fun Pass" they also stated it is faster. Once more I bring up, in some cases, it is.

Anyone sailing on the Conquest out of galveston, let us know how it went. I am hearing that no matter what time it is, it is a nightmare there.
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:06 PM
Yeoman

Default Best time to embark

Texasfyre: Nothing equals the excitement of processing to get on a ship that you have been excited about for weeks/months. Many times you will go up an escalator to enter the ship. Now when you go DOWN that escalator THAT is the nightmare because it is the end of the cruise. As far as the crowds go I love it; we all share an exciting goal. Go early and hope the wait isn't too long and if it is than the excitement keeps building. I love being around people who have never cruised and if they are from Iowa that is even more interesting; to see their reactions is priceless.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Captain

beforeyou go on your trip make sure to fill out the fun pass information
it will make it go faster in the fun pass line if you do
Old October 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM
Yeoman

I have the Carnival web page link on my home page! I am now just waiting for my new Passport to arrive to finish it!

oh, and my friend just emailed me this morning saying we are leaving first thing in the morning on crusie day! My head is just gonna explode!
Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:28 PM
Passenger

The earlier the better.... I am ususally there by 11:00. Oh, there are definately lineups... I love them... we are all talking, excited, chatting it up.... all part of the cruise experience. I wouldnt miss for anything. I love to have lunch, explore the ship, keep checking if my room is ready... all part of the fun !!!!!!! If you hate crowds... go later, but why would you have booked a holiday on a ship with 3,000 people ??? lol
Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:47 PM
Yeoman

I agree...when they built the Texas Titan a couple years back ( coaster at six flags here) the maiden run was a 2 and a half hour waiting line!

Not to mention all the funny things you see, the people already half baked from bloody mary's etc. I am just concidering the 140 days until I go, as a line for "waiting" to Embark!
Old October 24th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Passenger

Great analogy Texasfrye !!! I love it ... only 103 days in my line up !!
Old October 24th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to AmazingAngel

No the line ups are not a big thing really, I love standing inline chatting with everyone that is what also makes the cruise so great meeting people from all walks of life! On our first cruise the couple behind us told us that this(at that time) was going to be their 42nd cruise. Needless to say I bowed down to them...wow!!! I was just thinking about my husband, with his mobility...and he will not sit in a wheel chair! I think we will head there around 11am, my funpass is already done!! Thanks for the tips and advice!
Old October 24th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Amazing Angel..you just might "encourage" your husband to request his wheelchair if he really needs it..while I was recovering from my back operation, I had my brace and my cane and request a wheelchair from the skycap, who took me to the front of the line and a special check in...needless to say I got on the ship alot quicker