Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Captain

Default Damage to Cozumel..??

Has anyone seen any pictures or reports of damage to Cozumel...

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:01 AM
Yeoman

This is all i could find. I'll add the link.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...0_wilma22.html
Old October 23rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Admiral

No, no photos and no real word yet and that is very scary. A weatherman siad that he had received reports that Playa Del Carman was gone. That is the word used, gone. We can only pray that this is a gross exaggeration.
Jim
Old October 25th, 2005, 09:42 PM
First Mate

I received this yesterday.
Talked to my daughter again this AM. They have heard that two of the large cruise ship docks are broken into several large pieces, and a third pier is completely gone. The passenger ferry pier in the downtown is apparently intact, so once ferries resume, pedestrians traffic can also resume. But the car ferry is dependent on the cruise ship piers, and they are working on a solution as we speak. Meanwhile, the plan is to remove seating from the passenger ferries, and use the open space to bring in crates & supplies, in addition to people, whenever that can happen.

All waterfront hotels to the south have suffered catastrophic damage but the extent is not known at this time.Day beach resorts are certainly damaged if not gone.Chankanaab Park has disappeared.Caletta Harbor suffered severe damage to many boats. The Living Underwater boat is sunk and lies underneath a huge Dive Paradise boat which is upside down. Most if not all of the Dive House boats are wrecked/sunken, as are most of the boats in the harbor.Puerta Maya has disappeared. That includes the buildings and the pier. Paradise Reef is now safe from Cruise Ships.Car and Truck Ferry Pier is damaged limiting the arrival of supplies.The International Pier (for years the only cruise ship pier) is damaged and missing a section in the middle.The dry marina (boat yard) next to Caribe Blu (still standing but seriously damaged), where many boats are stored on land, had a collapse of the boat hanger roof which crushed the owner's giant catamaran and the travel lift which is used to launch and retrieve the large dive boats.This means that it will be quite some time before the large dive boats in dry storage there can get into the water.The dry marina boat yard protected about 30 boats, and about 5 of them were damaged by flying debris or collapsed walls. All six of the Aldora Boats in the dry Marina are not damaged and using the forklift, can be placed in the water as soon as the authorities allow such activity. The new cruise ship pier downtown, Punta Langosta seems to be completely intact but the adjacent buildings and mini mall are seriously damaged.The Aqua Safari pier is gone as well as the remains of the Pro Dive Pier. The Aldora Pier seems to be ok and usable.The hotel Casa Mexicana is open and running on a generator. The Bahia and other downtown hotels seem to be OK and given electrical power and guests seem to be able to accommodate guests.The Aldora office and shop on Calle 5, just ¼ block from the water's edge remained undamaged.All waterfront shops on the main street (Rafael Melgar) suffered wave damage and burst open storm doors, with the contents spread out over the street. Some people have been picking up items from the street but it is not "wild looting" and the police are now patrolling the street where no one is allowed. To the north side of town the waterfront damage seems less and Pancho's Back Yard and Cinco Solis seem intact.The airport runway is ok and can support flights but the control tower is damaged as is the terminal building.The Villa Aldora suffered some water in the beach level rooms but since we had moved all furniture into the Cameron Suite (furthest from the water and no ocean view) that all stayed dry. The Barracuda Suite had a broken window behind the hurricane shutters and the North Suite has a cracked sliding glass door. On the Villa Aldora Beach, the only thing left is the rocks that god placed there. Gone is the dock, palapa, retaining walls for our beach sand, the huge palms trees and the wall on the south side of the property.Puerto Abriggo, home to many of the larger boats, suffered many casualties too but we did not have time to survey them. Maybe 50% were damaged.Hotels to the north and structures on the east side could not be surveyed.SynopsisThe major impact has been to the following:Cruise Ship It is unknown how long a time will pass before a cruise ship can land in Cozumel. And if they could there is no infrastructure to entertain them. Of course they can revert to using a lighter to bring passengers in, and the shops may be able to sweep out their stores and replace the merchandise, but it will be a long time before the streets are crowded with them again.PowerThe restoration of power is a key for renewal of the Cozumel economy. Without power there will be no tourists so I am sure that the government will apply all energy that they can to get power up and running. Complicating that effort will be that Cozumel will be competing with Cancun for support and it may be difficult to get done as quickly as we have in past hurricanes. The good news is that the Governor of the state is a former President (mayor) of Cozumel and much of his staff is from here. With their friends and family in Cozumel I don't think we will be ignored. My best guess is that we should have power restored to most of the island in less than one week. HotelsMost of the large hotels are severely damaged and some may not be reopened at all. My guess is that some may make it to reopen by Christmas. The smaller hotels around town should be able to accept guests as soon as the power is restored. The Villa Aldora is operating on a generator now and could accept guests. Central Playa del Carmen has electricity and people are making very goodprogress in cleaning up Wilma's mess. I estimate that at least 50% ofbusinesses are open today and that most of the rest will open tomorrow.In a few days there will probably be few obvious traces of our two-day ordeal -everything just seems much 'open' due to the stripping of vegetation (whichgrows back amazingly quickly in this area) The websites for Presidente Intercontinental hotels in both Cancunand Cozumel indicate no new guest arrivals before January 31, 2006

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old October 26th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Beginner

Default Damage to Cozumel Ports

Found this in the Miami Herald.

Cruise ship docks destroyed

The island of Cozumel is a regular destination for ocean liners filled with tourists.

Wire services
El Universal
October 26, 2005

The docks on Cozumel island Mexico's top cruise destination and a popular stop for U.S. ocean liners suffered severe damage from Hurricane Wilma and should take months to repair, a port official said Tuesday.
"For the moment, (the industry) has collapsed," César Patricio Reyes, Mexico's ports coordinator, said in a phone interview.

"Some of the docks have split and others have disappeared entirely," Reyes said. "It's a true disaster."

The Caribbean island just south of Cancun is heavily frequented by the world's two biggest cruise lines, Carnival Corp. and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., both of which are based in Miami. Cozumel is also a popular stop for divers.

The island's three cruise docks receive 1,600 ships a year carrying 3 million passengers, who in turn contribute an estimated US150 million to the local economy. Each dock is worth about US50 million, Reyes estimated.

One of Cozumel's docks is owned by Carnival, which confirmed Tuesday that its facility there sustained heavy damage. The company also uses the other two cruise ports on the island.

"We received a preliminary assessment yesterday from one of our Mexico-based employees. He indicated that the facility has sustained heavy damage," said Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz, adding that the cruise company has flown in a team to evaluate the damage.

"Once those folks get on the ground and take a closer look at it, we should have a much better picture," De la Cruz added.

The Carnival brand features Cozumel as a destination for 14 of its 22 ships, while some of the company's other lines such as Holland America also stop there.

Royal Caribbean officials weren't available to comment on how the damage in Cozumel will affect its operations.

Mexico received 3.5 million cruise visitors during the first half of 2005 or 18 percent more than in the year-ago period who spent an average of US67 per person while on land.

"We're hoping that by December we'll be able to offer some basic services at the destination so that we can rebuild faster with the economic help of the cruises," Reyes said.

Meanwhile, Reyes suggests that the ocean liners substitute other destinations on Mexico's Caribbean and Gulf Coasts such as Progreso on the Yucatan Peninsula for Cozumel on their itineraries.

Cozumel's municipal dock, meanwhile, was left largely intact, and is being used to ferry passengers back to Playa del Carmen on the mainland, said Jesús Vega, who has a concession to operate the dock at Playa del Carmen.

"We will be able to receive cruise ships as always. We'll soon recover," he said.
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Admiral

There are some links to photos on the Chit-Chat board. I honestly got sick when I saw them as the damage is horrific.
Jim
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Yeoman

Default Damage in Cozumel

Even if all piers were intact, the infrastructure is also crippled and as of yesterday, no power in Cozumel, only generators.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:14 PM
First Mate

Default Photos of hurricane damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bragg
There are some links to photos on the Chit-Chat board. I honestly got sick when I saw them as the damage is horrific.
Jim
Hey Jim.
Can't find these photos.
Do you mean Cruise Chat board or Chit Chat? Even on Cruise Chat I cant find the links you spoke of. Can you help me please?
Thanks
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here is the link to the Cozumel pictures that I posted yesterday.
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/...ies.php?s=8185
Hope this is what you want. John F
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Those are the ones. Thanks John.
Jim
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Captain

A fellow cruisemate listed this site in another post and it's a fantastic site. It is a message board type site and there are messages and pictures intermixed. The messages are actually reports about Cancun and Cozumel. I bookmarked it and check it every night for updates. Here is the address:

http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/mexico.shtml

My heart goes out to those friendly people

AKcruiser

Triumph Jan 21, 2005

I read where Pancho's Backyard survived Wilma. I hope we can have lunch there again in Jan
Old October 27th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cancun

My ds was scheduled to honeymoon in Cancun a week from Sunday. He has changed his plans to a different location. The airline that he had booked with was the worse to deal with. They said, "We can still fly into Cancun." They didn't care that the place is flooded and a mess.
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Passenger

Looks like they will try to start receiving ships on 11/14 via tender

http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma.asp

Later

Rick
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info on that! We are going to the Western Caribbean on 11/20 and our first stop is Cozumel. Now I am worried that if we do stop is it going to be worth the stop or would we be better off with an alternate port. I know they really need the income to start coming back in so I have a feeling we will probably be visiting their port. I really feel for those poor guys! I will be glad in a way if we do stop since we can be one of the 1st to help get them on their way
Old October 27th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Prayers are with these poor people ...but as in the "we can still fly in so your going" Why. ,? I contributid alot of $ to Sunami, Acouple of hurricanes, an earth quake... now you wish me to tender ashore to ? what, If from what I have read, The stores My mother inlaw wished to buy Diamonds etc are "totally gone. " and Chunkanub park "the kids wanted to see doesn't exsist any more" they will need more than 8 weeks to make it inviting again. (or they are some busy people) Sorry I am not a harsh person, but as far as my 3 kids, a day at sea will be better than rushed into an unsafe, crushed area.
ps, if its rebuild to even close, sure , outta the way, I will be first off.
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Yeoman

Default Damage to Cozumel

Who cares about diamonds - maybe some of the cruisers could get off the ship and just help one person. God knows they have spent years helping us to have happy memories.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Damage to Cozumel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinforever
Who cares about diamonds - maybe some of the cruisers could get off the ship and just help one person. God knows they have spent years helping us to have happy memories.

Betty
Sincerly say, "enjoy your day".
After seeing several sets of pictures, not the least of most recent post showing downtown shops. I will be on the ship, hope quite honestly hopfully at another port for this cruise; and supporting Coz in the spring next time. Before you attack, I will now go get work cloths on for this weekends charity work building "locally."
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

John:
I made your link "click-able". The damage is to the pier is terrible. It will be quite awhile and/or a lot of time and money to rebuild them. It looks like that is the downtown pier.

I also heard that the Carnival pier took a lot of damage and that the shopping area "Cozumall" took extensive damage. I've been looking for pictures of that.

My heart really goes out to the people of Cozumel, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. The damage will have a major impact on their economic, and emotional well being for a long time.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Admiral

The Mayor of the city in Cozumel met with RCI & CCL exucitives and together they made the date to start accepting cruiseships as November 14th. You may well have to be tendered in but they are hoping to get at least one pier back to accepting ships. The debris has been picked up and stacked up so that they can removed it all and the streets should be clean and repairs made to the downtown stores for the most part in two weeks. Electricity is back on in some parts and they are quickly restoring it to others. The people of Cozumel have all come together and helped to restore this island. It is a highly admirable achievement and shows their committment to tourism. In addition Cozumel has always been one of, if not the safest port of call anywhere in the world and has remained so. Cozumel is safe and the people are greatful to have survived and welcome you back. You would do them a terrible disservice if you snubbed them. If there was anyway we could book a cruise to Cozumel, we would just to show our support to these great folks!.
Jim
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Captain

Right on Jim, I second that statement. I wish we could tender into port and give them a hand.

Glad we will be stopping there in January.

AKcruiser
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bragg
The Mayor of the city in Cozumel met with RCI & CCL exucitives and together they made the date to start accepting cruiseships as November 14th. You may well have to be tendered in but they are hoping to get at least one pier back to accepting ships. The debris has been picked up and stacked up so that they can removed it all and the streets should be clean and repairs made to the downtown stores for the most part in two weeks. Electricity is back on in some parts and they are quickly restoring it to others. The people of Cozumel have all come together and helped to restore this island. It is a highly admirable achievement and shows their committment to tourism. In addition Cozumel has always been one of, if not the safest port of call anywhere in the world and has remained so. Cozumel is safe and the people are greatful to have survived and welcome you back. You would do them a terrible disservice if you snubbed them. If there was anyway we could book a cruise to Cozumel, we would just to show our support to these great folks!.
Jim
Hey Jim, I agree with all your hopes, but to clarify my earlier post, in regards to safety, yes it is safe and friendly. My concern with being rushed in is with my 2 -5 -9 year olds and a very unsafe "STRUCTURALLY SPEAKING" buildings and walls. as in the attached link to resent photos
http://www.imagestation.com/album/offer.html
http://www.imagestation.com/abum/off...855&mode=quest
as I said before, if its safe, we will be first off..
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Now CDad, I can see where that would be a deep concern and I actually do not blame you. Kids should not be subjected to any possible danger and while adults can easily recognize places they should not go and things they should not touch, kids do not have this ability and must be cared for. If there is any danger to kids, they should not be allowed ashore.
Jim
Old October 30th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Passenger

For all interested , he is another link to ongoing repairs and appx., if known reopening time/dates of hotels, stores, dive shops, but parks..?. looks bad?
http://www.travelnotes.cc//
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:53 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin4adventure
Default We'll be there on 11/17...

We set sail on 11/13 from Tampa and are scheduled to be there on Thursday (or maybe Friday, can't get a straight answer)...

Anyways, as long as it's safe (structure-wise) I say, let's go! If these people are that determined to get everything ready for me to enjoy...I'll be happy to oblige

p.s. Other than just roaming, what do you recommend doing there, anyone?
Old October 31st, 2005, 07:52 PM
First Mate

Default check out ruins

I have been researching our April 06 trip and in Cozumel had planned on visiting the ruins with Ivan and David. Since you may not have any way of contacting them, I'd book thru cruiseline if it is available. Of the ruins it seemed the shortest bus ride to get there and when are you going to get a chance to see them again. I thought Cozumel ruins were more "convenient" as Belize has a two hour bus ride to get to them from what I have researched.
Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I believe this is where I am finding the most current / official news being posted...

http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma/default.asp