CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Timeshare presentation / Free cruise - To good to be true? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/302912-timeshare-presentation-free-cruise-good-true.html)

Wayne77 October 24th, 2005 11:57 AM

Timeshare presentation / Free cruise - To good to be true?

I received a mailing the other day about one of those 90 minute timeshare presentations. If we attend, we supposedly get a free cruise for two on either Carnival, RCL, or NCL, 7 nights, Mexican Riviera. I called and the rep said we just have to cover the airfare to the port and tax and port fees (around $300 per person). Does this sound to good to be true? How can there timeshare companies afford to offer this? Any other catches? I have no plans on purchasing a timeshare so we would just go up there to sit patiently through the presentation, but I don't want to waste 90 min of our time if the deal has some hidden catches.

Thanks,

Wayne

AmazingAngel October 24th, 2005 12:09 PM

I would find out if that was if you bought into the timeshare. If that is just the incentive to sit for 90mins and listen to the presentation...I'd do it personally. Its entirely up to you.

Wayne77 October 24th, 2005 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazingAngel
I would find out if that was if you bought into the timeshare. If that is just the incentive to sit for 90mins and listen to the presentation...I'd do it personally. Its entirely up to you.

Yeah, I checked and the brochure says that there is no commitment to buy into the timeshare, just have to sit through the presentation. Maybe the percentage of people that actually buy the timeshare is high enough that it is worth it for the company to provide the free cruise offer regardless of a timeshare sale. Still..passage for two on a 7 night crsuise is worth at least $1500 isn't it? Seems like a great deal..I'll probably go ahead and sit through it. I've sat through these timeshare presentations before - they go for the high pressure sale, but usually the offer is for free ski passes, a few nights at a hotel, etc, nothing this big.

CA Cruiser October 24th, 2005 12:23 PM

We did get a "free" cruise when we bought into our timeshare. It is a great timeshare which we like and use and the cruise was for 2 ppl, inside cabin only. We upgraded to a balcony on the Glory for about $700 plus our airfare of course. I would make sure you get a cruise just for listening and not buying before going also.

AmazingAngel October 24th, 2005 12:25 PM

Ya expect very high pressured sales that is for sure. My hubby and I bought into a time share last year from the Dominican and they gave us a free trip back to the same resort or the sister resort on the other side of the island. I'd do it expecially if you can get cheap airfare too...what is 90 mins as opposed to one week on a cruise ship...now I am jealious! Have fun.

venice October 24th, 2005 02:30 PM

read the very small print because my experience in having done a few time share presentations, is that they give you a voucher that you exchange for the cruise and it has alot of restrictions on when you can use it, and usually unless you live within driving distance of the departure port the air fare and other things will wind up costing you as much as a cruise

and I always remember what my parents taught me..there is no such thing as a "free" anything

I have found great success with these high pressure time share pitches (had them all the time when I use to go to Maui every year) is to start off by telling the sales person that at this time you cannot afford to purchase a time share..then if they continue to add pressure, tell them the reason why you can't afford a timeshare at this time is because you are going thru your second divorce and bankruptcy and if that doesn't work tell them you are part of a class action lawsuit against a timeshare company that defaulted, and once you receive your settlement you'll call them about purchasing a time share (say it very loudly in front of the other guest)..I bet they will give you your cruise voucher quick to get rid of you (VBG)

hazelson October 24th, 2005 05:06 PM

LOL - you could also tell them the cruise will have to wait until after your sentencing hearing for passing bad checks and fraudulent use of credit cards LOL

I agree with many of the above - if it's too good to be true ....

Also they have so many black out dates and most likely will offer you short dated cruises - then your air fare will be last minute and very pricey.

If you go for it -- I wish you luck and enjoy your cruise ! Keep us informed please.

ttfn Jennifer

cali-croozer October 24th, 2005 06:45 PM

No free cruise for us. We sat through a high pressure, boring presentation and received our "voucher" for a free cruise. The only way to book it was to send a check for about $100 (for port taxes and fees) and 3 travel dates to the company within 30 days. Information about the cruise was minimal (blackout dates weren't defined, only stated that we couldn't cruise a week prior or after holidays; cruiseline wasn't defined: several were listed, but you'd only find out after they booked you.) There was no way to contact them by telephone or e-mail, only regular mail. I wrote them to ask for specific sailing dates so I could pick one; also asked how much it would cost to add a 3rd/4th person (our kids) to our room. Never did receive a reply.

Looking back at your post, you can sometimes get 7 night cruises in the off season for a little more than $300, especially in the lowest category, using a guarantee. And, you can pick the cruiseline you want to sail on. Whatever you choose to do, I hope it works out for you.

PS........you might want to call again and ask who actually does the booking; in our case, it wasn't the timeshare company, it was some unknown company (couldn't find any information on the web about them)
only reachable by US mail. If you are able to talk to the people booking the cruise, that would be great. I might have been able to take the "free" cruise if that would have been the case in our situation. For us, I just didn't feel comfortable sending $$ in mail without any real details of the cruise.

JeanS October 24th, 2005 08:31 PM

I for one can't STAND being held captive at a high-pressure sales presentation, no matter what the reward! They go on, and on, and on, and usually argue with you about why you dont' want to take advantage of their offer, and usually make you feel like you have to explain to them WHY you don't want to do it. I just really don't like that type of environment, and the time wasted arguing with these people.

If I get serious about WANTING to buy a time share, then I will seek them out, but not this again.

We were in a lovely resort that we PAID for in Cancun, and when we arrived, we TOLD the man at the desk that we did not want to attend a "presentation". Do you know they had the NERVE to call and wake us up at 9a the following morning to advise us of their presentation??? (6 AM our time!!) Luckily for them my husband answered the phone and not me! I was really annoyed at their lack of consideration tho....

Wayne77 October 24th, 2005 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice
if that doesn't work tell them you are part of a class action lawsuit against a timeshare company that defaulted, and once you receive your settlement you'll call them about purchasing a time share (say it very loudly in front of the other guest)..I bet they will give you your cruise voucher quick to get rid of you (VBG)

Haha! I like your thinking. :twisted:

Jim Bragg October 24th, 2005 09:28 PM

Toss it in the trash where it belongs!!! We used to 'win' or get these offers at least once a week and sometimes more often and somtimes not for months. It is basically legit in that you do get a 'free cruise' but you will pay almost as much for the port taxes and fees as the cruise costs. Sometimes more than you can by the cruise for from a honest TA. In addition you will be required to sit through the entire lecture and go through the hard sell before they will sign your 'chit' authorizing the 'free cruise'. If you at any time leave before they want you to and they do not sign this thing, you will have to pay for the cruise, also at an inflated price. You can't just say no thanks and walk out with a signed chit as they want to 'talk' and keep talking hoping you will break down or otherwise lose your sanity and agree to their terms. There is no free ride when it comes to cruising.
Jim

Wayne77 October 24th, 2005 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelson
LOL - you could also tell them the cruise will have to wait until after your sentencing hearing for passing bad checks and fraudulent use of credit cards LOL

:D :D

My first few posts on this board and I'm already getting corrupted! :twisted: :twisted:

Wayne77 October 24th, 2005 09:37 PM

Excellent information. Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali-croozer
No free cruise for us. We sat through a high pressure, boring presentation and received our "voucher" for a free cruise. The only way to book it was to send a check for about $100 (for port taxes and fees) and 3 travel dates to the company within 30 days. Information about the cruise was minimal (blackout dates weren't defined, only stated that we couldn't cruise a week prior or after holidays; cruiseline wasn't defined: several were listed, but you'd only find out after they booked you.) There was no way to contact them by telephone or e-mail, only regular mail. I wrote them to ask for specific sailing dates so I could pick one; also asked how much it would cost to add a 3rd/4th person (our kids) to our room. Never did receive a reply.

Looking back at your post, you can sometimes get 7 night cruises in the off season for a little more than $300, especially in the lowest category, using a guarantee. And, you can pick the cruiseline you want to sail on. Whatever you choose to do, I hope it works out for you.

PS........you might want to call again and ask who actually does the booking; in our case, it wasn't the timeshare company, it was some unknown company (couldn't find any information on the web about them)
only reachable by US mail. If you are able to talk to the people booking the cruise, that would be great. I might have been able to take the "free" cruise if that would have been the case in our situation. For us, I just didn't feel comfortable sending $$ in mail without any real details of the cruise.

Wayne77 October 24th, 2005 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bragg
Toss it in the trash where it belongs!!! We used to 'win' or get these offers at least once a week and sometimes more often and somtimes not for months. It is basically legit in that you do get a 'free cruise' but you will pay almost as much for the port taxes and fees as the cruise costs.

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I don't want to potentially mess up a ten year anniversary trip I am planning for my wife. We've done one cruise before this when we were married back in 96 aboard the Jubilee. I'm not sure if they are even sailing that boat anymore..Anyway, it was alot of fun and I hear the newer ships are even nicer. We are looking at either the Pride of the Spirit. Sounds like we can still get a pretty competitive deal if we book far in advance (not looking to go until next Fall)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

David West October 25th, 2005 04:58 AM

For something special as your 10"th wedding Anv. , No WAY :!: I see your chain of thinking, and its a good thought. :idea:

If you could get a free cruise, and donate 2 hrs of your time, that would make a nice gift for your wife and you.

For something that special, I would go to a good TA (if you need one ,let me know ) and book a cruise for the 2 of you. ( If possible) Then you would have no worries.

The wife and I celebrated our 25'th wedding aniv. on the Conquest, and it was wonderful :!: Theres no get away like a cruise :!: Let us know how you come out.

Best of luck to you and yours;
David

skymaster May 1st, 2013 04:34 PM

The lovely Mrs. Jones and I sat through one of these presentations, only to find out that, as noted above, we had to send in a fair amount of cash, up front, and then give them three dates that we could sail, and then wait,,,,,,and wait,,,,,,and wait. Bottom line is that we never did get the "free cruise", that would have cost us almost as much, as it would have, if we had booked direct. When they gave me the figures for "port charges, and taxes", it was WAY more than the cruise lines normally charge. When I questioned the amount,,,I was told that there was nothing they could do about it,,that was just what it was. Bottom line, RUN, don't walk away. Go book your cruise, and forget about it.

"SKY"

Manuel May 1st, 2013 05:59 PM

If I hear the word timeshare,:mad: I don't want any part of that deal. :twisted:

TM

Aerogirl May 1st, 2013 10:49 PM

We own a timeshare in Kona for 20 year now and love it, we've been all over and it's nice to have all the comforts of home when we travel ......All we got were 2 tickets for a booze cruise for our presentation LOL

flowers May 4th, 2013 01:19 PM

I did one of these, and the problem was they promised a cruise out of Galveston, and then when the time came, wanted to switch me to a cruise out of Miami which I didnt want.

They finally put me on a cruise out of NOLA, but they gave me a really terrible noisy cabin. Unless I paid to upgrade I was stuck with the very last inside on the bottom deck of Triumph and Triumph has a really bad vibration. I did the cruise .. but the cabin was awful. I would not do it again. It wasnt worth the hassle to save a few bucks.

PS mine may have been different as they were not selling a timeshare, but a vacation club.

MelBrown June 7th, 2013 03:47 PM

The truth is that the cost of owning a timeshare doesn't just stop by paying the total purchase price. There are other timeshare fees that must be taken into consideration. By the time you pay the maintenance fees on your timeshare, plus the other fees and expenses, you’ll realize that you've paid as much, if not more, that the total cost to stay it a good and nice hotel.

badknees June 11th, 2013 11:03 PM

Run away. It is not worth it. Those people would make a shark blush.
They are doing this job to make themselves money, not to do you a favor.
Remember that!!!!

Manuel June 12th, 2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelBrown (Post 1475668)
The truth is that the cost of owning a timeshare doesn't just stop by paying the total purchase price. There are other timeshare fees that must be taken into consideration. By the time you pay the maintenance fees on your timeshare, plus the other fees and expenses, you’ll realize that you've paid as much, if not more, that the total cost to stay it a good and nice hotel.

That is the reason why I have never purchased any.

TM

Lakers Fan June 12th, 2013 11:06 AM

Nearly all my friends have timeshares . I've never had any and I've never gone to hear a spiel.

cruisergirl55 June 12th, 2013 12:30 PM

I have heard of one and two day cruises, but never heard of seven day. I would set through it for seven day cruise.