Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Beginner

Default Having trouble getting Wilma information out of Carnival?

Just wondering if anyone else is unhappy with Carnival due to the (non)release of infomation about where thier cruise is going as a result of the damage done by Wilma?

In my case the port in question is Cozumel. It's been announced for days that Cozumel will not accept cruise ship debarkation until Nov 14. However, Carnival seems unwilling to make commitments or release information as to where the alternative port will be until 1 - 2 days before a ships scheduled departure date. Royal Caribean has released information for cruises leaving up to 6 days out.

Personally I've been told by the Carnival customer service center they would have my information tomorrow and to call back/check the web site for 5 days in a row. Also I've been given a number to their executive complaint deptment that has been closed for 5 days. The message states this is due to hurricane Wilma. Sounds to me like they don't want to listen to the concerns of thier customers.

Thoughts/Comments?

Andy Hicks
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Hi Andy, I to have been concerned about not getting the info out that I thought I needed. Please let me tell you and others what I have found. Now it is important to know that I am a customer, and not part of Carnival. It will sound like I am making excuses, but what I say are the facts. Carnival has had a rough season. Just as one storm came through, and changes were made, another would come through and they would have to do it all over again. This time with Wilma, they lost power in the building, or buildings. As you know, when you loose power, you are almost at a stand still. When they were able to communicate, they discovered that some of their major ports had either been lost or were in bad shape. I have not called carnival, because they won't so much to be of help, and sometimes it means someone giving bad info. All of my research has been through my TA and on the net. The good news is the ships are in good shape, and the towel animals have been spared, but the bad news is , we won't know what is going on until the decissions have been made. Those can't be made until ports are back in service, and other countries have reported in. I am trying to pass on any info I have and Donna from Cruisemates is doing a wonderful job reporting Carnival news. Please be ready to research the port that your ship will go to. Stay tune to cruisemates to get more info as it comes in.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Looks like our "Sugarposter" has turned into a crack news reporter

Great advice Luanne. I know everyone wants to know all the details of their upcoming cruises - but what is - just is - and can't be changed. If a port is cancelled or changed that is the prerogative of the cruise line. A person can't cancel their booking because of that so - the bottom line is - is really makes no difference. In hurricane season I guess you just go with the flow or - in this case - the prevailing winds.

Once again good info Luanne - and keep us informed.

We go on the Conquest in March - so it should be all settled down by then.

ttfn Jennifer
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Carnival headquarters is located im MiraMar, Fl which is right where the hurricane's eye passed over. They suffered quite a bit of damage and yes they have been without power, fuel and many other things and CCL is operating with a skeleton crew doing what they can. They are trying to work with you, the ships, the ports, and their own people. Cut them some slack. In addition, they may not know what port they will be allowed to go to as everyone is scrambling to work out the schedules. Lots of ships out there and only a few ports that can only allow so many ships at a time.
Jim
Old October 29th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have noticed that Carnival has been updating their web-site daily with their changes, here is what they posted today:

Tropical Weather Update – October 28, 2005 6:00 PM

Due to the impact from Hurricane Wilma in Cozumel, we will make the following itinerary changes to cruises this weekend.

Elation October 27 from Galveston - This cruise will visit Progreso (Sat.)

Inspiration October 29 from Tampa - This cruise will visit Grand Cayman (Mon.) and Costa Maya (Tue.)

Carnival Miracle October 30 from Tampa - This cruise will visit Grand Cayman (Tue.), Costa Maya (Wed.) and Belize (Thur.)

UPDATE- Carnival Conquest October 30 from Galveston - The scheduled call in Cozumel will be replaced by a visit to Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Carnival Valor October 30 from Miami - The scheduled call in Cozumel will be replaced with Costa Maya

UPDATE - Fascination October 31 from Miami - This cruise will visit Key West (Tue.) and Playa del Carmen, Mexico (Wed.)

Elation October 31 from Galveston - This cruise will visit Progreso (Wed.) and Veracruz (Thur.)

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 29th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bragg
Carnival headquarters is located im MiraMar, Fl which is right where the hurricane's eye passed over. They suffered quite a bit of damage and yes they have been without power, fuel and many other things and CCL is operating with a skeleton crew doing what they can.
Jim
Thanks Jim and Luanna... I didn't realize that Carnival's headquarters had been affected by Wilma as well. I live in Louisiana and luckily came through both Katrina and Rita in good shape, but have friends who weren't so fortunate. Considering the impact to CCL's hq it's a bit easier to accept the lack of information coming from thier end.

-Andy
Old October 30th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Passenger

alittle off topic but to spare Carnival staff, I get a kick out of calling help desk for products I buy in Canada, alot of time I speak with someone with obvious southern US accent? Now my neighbor works for a call centre in mid/northern Ontario ,CAN. that is the main call centre to setup/trouble shoot a major U.S. cell net work. Who knew.
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Although a Call Center may be located anywhere in the world all decisions concerning what they can tell a caller are made at the corporate offices. If that office or the destinations that the company services has a problem then the call center can't tell anyone anyone anything new. In many instances companies will shut those centers down to avoid confusion.

Carnival actually has done a very good job of keeping their web site updated, as Donna has shown so well, and that is the best place to keep updated on current changes and information.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me