Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default So, You have Been On The Conquest Out of Galveston

As most of you know, the Conquest is on loan to Galveston, until it's old home is restored. There have been some problems with this big ship coming to Galveston, so if you have tips for those of us still to go, spill it.

I want to know about going to the ship. Do I go at 12:00 or 1:00 or wait until later? When we went on the Ecstasy, I could not wait to leave the motel. We finally got there about 11:30 and that was good, but I have heard not to go that soon for the Conquest. What did you do, and why would you not do it again?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:05 AM
Admiral

thanks for asking the tought questions Luanne..I'll be following this posting very carefully
Old October 31st, 2005, 01:19 PM
Yeoman

now..according to Carnival, the Conquest is here in galveston to stay.
Old October 31st, 2005, 03:44 PM
Admiral

very interesting because the local papers say it will be back to New Orleans next fall

however, if what you say is true, maybe we will get the newest Carnival ship (that would be great)
Old October 31st, 2005, 04:07 PM
Admiral

See, this is what David was rightfully pointing out. I have also heard both. That it will stay, and they it will go. This is one of those things we will have to wait on. I am glad that people in this area are getting the chance to go on the Conquest, and I hope N.O. gets a newer ship. I would love for the Conquest to stay here, but if it must go back then I understand.

I still need to know what time to board the ship. Someone please tell us!

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 31st, 2005, 04:25 PM
Yeoman

went back and read. Indefinately.

As for boarding, do you have your fun pass filled out with Carnival? My friends I am sailing at told me morning check in time.
Old October 31st, 2005, 04:40 PM
Passenger

I sailed on the Conquest out of Galveston Oct 2nd (between hurricanes!) We got there about 10:30 because we made a deal with the limo company (we had flown to Houston the day before and spent the night there). If we agreed to get picked up at 9:30 so they could make a pickup at 10:30 at the pier, they gave us a special price. Normally, I wouldn't have gotten there quite so early, even though I do get anxious. We were probably about 25th in line until they brought a special group of about 250 fans of a country western singer who had priority boarding. We had already gone through the first check-in and were just waiting in the seats to be let on. But, we were still on the ship by noon.

There was a problem when we got back into port that slowed down the debarkation. The self-assist got off the ship fairly soon, but then it was stopped. I finally got off about 12:30, but others I talked with didn't get off the ship until about 2:30. Of course, all sorts of rumors were flying, and I'm not sure what the real story was.

I'd be glad to answer any other questions and just wish it was me getting back on the Conquest. I love that ship!!

MaryLou
Old October 31st, 2005, 05:33 PM
Captain

Default Driving in from Mississippi...

We will be driving in from Ocean Springs (Biloxi) for the Conquest on Dec. 4th sailing.... I think I can make the trip in 8 hours (Ferry route)... Can someone give a good time to board??______ (we have our Fun Passes).... We are parking at the EZ Park for $45 & they provide shuttle service to the cruise terminal....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old November 1st, 2005, 10:26 AM
Beginner

I just got off the Conquest on Sunday the 30th, and let me tell you, Galveston has not gotten it together yet.

I was with a wedding party and we arrived at 10:30 and was able to board with little problem, we were let on about 12:30, but others stated that it took 4 hours to get onboard and that was after we got on.

Debartation was a horse of a different color all togeather. We had a 1:02 flight leaving Bush in Houston, and figured that that would be ok. My friend had sailed before and said that getting off the ship is no problem. Not in this instance. We missed our flight, because we did not start getting off until 10:30 in the morning. They cleared the ship and then started to check the crew before letting us off. Also, they bunched all of us that had flights and that was at least half the ship, into one color group and it was a complete mess. DO NOT book any return flights until after 3PM or you will run the risk of missing your flight.

Other than that, it was a wonderful time 8)
Old November 1st, 2005, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Patrick,

Are you saying to get there before 10:30 and not wait until later?

Thanks,

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 1st, 2005, 01:53 PM
Beginner

luanne,

I would suggest getting there early, but be prepared to wait. Like I said, I did not go through normal boarding. We were the first let on at 12:30, and some people did not get to board until 4 hours later than that, and they checked in early. First time cruisers were especially late getting on because of how they allowed people to get on.

Curt
Old November 1st, 2005, 02:13 PM
Passenger

Hi Patrick,

We are sailing her Nov 14th and our TA has booked us on a return flight from Bush at 1:20. I have called her many times and told her we have a problem but she refuses to listen. I can see with all the posts about this there will be a good possibility we will miss our flight. Since you missed your's what happened? What was done to get you home? Thanks for any information you can give us.

Sheila
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:57 AM
Captain

Default Cozumel replacement???

Patrick,
What port did the Conquest go to to replace Cozumel, was it Playa del Carmen ??... Can you describe the replacement port for me... Thanks

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old November 2nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Beginner

shelia,

We booked our flights through northwest and not the cruise line, so we were able to get another flight, we just missed the 1:02 and got put on the 4:48. No extra charges, just had to wait around the airport for 3 hours. When I called northwest from the ship though, they were going to charge me 100 per person to change to the later flight, so keep your 1 oclock and take your chances.

Bob m,

We were given a $25.00 credit for missing Cozumel, not much, but we made up for it for great weather onboard and sitting in the sun.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
Beginner

Default Conquest on 23rd

I just got back from my first cruise, and it just happen to be the Conquest that sailed on the 23rd out of Galveston. The worst parts of my vacation were getting on and off of the boat in Galveston. I had my 16 month old daughter with me also, and I can't even begin to describe the unorganized and inefficient way they processed such a large number of people boarded and unboarding this boat, but I will try. It was unbelievable. We had stayed the night in Galveston and got to the pier about noon. We stood for over in hour before they even started checking people through security. I had better service and treatment at the airport. I sat in a coner on the floor with my daughter so she could try to take a nap. Getting off the boat was worse. Our group of 11 were assigned the early "black" tags because we had "early" flights even though our flights ranged from 3:30pm to 5pm. They were supposed to start calling our color tags around 8:30. We listed all morning for them to call us. They let staff off first and then around 10am were heard them say that they were in the process of letting our color off when we had never heard them call our color. So the 11 of us went down the elevetor to pure chios! The elevetor opened on the 3rd floor and we couldn't even step out. The hall was jammed with people waiting and trying to get in the line to get off the boat. It was maddness. People were so angry and it was hot and I did not want to bring my daughter into that crowd that didn't seem to be moving. My family decided to just block the elevator open and stayed in it waiting for people to move. IAnd to top it all off Todd the Cruise Dirctor kept coming on the Intercome telling us all to be understanding and patient that the terminal can only handle 50 people at a time and that he knows it is taking longer than it is supposed to but that this Terminal and Galveston is not set up for a boat this size. Can you imagine what the people's reaction to that was?!!
I know I am giving lots of detail, I am just trying to make a point of how unorganized and frustrating this experience was. Once we finally got off the boat in an act of desperation the 11 of us got the Holiday Inn Shuttle guy to take us to his Hotel and then he got us a taxi to the Houton Airport. The cost for the 11 of us was $380, eek. It must be better to make arrangements before? But we probably only waited 5 minutes in the heat if that before getting a ride out of the pier, so that wasn't so bad.
Also, a note on the sail and sign cards. When we were checking in we gave then our Fun Pass print out and my husband filled out the Sail and Sign Card information and wrote down our credit card information. He signed his name and then I signed my name below it. We were both thinking that he was the main account holder and I was the secondary account. It wasn't until the morning we were getting off the boat when they left the invoice in our box and my name was missing that we thought to question it. When you check your folio number through your cabin tv it showed all of the purchase each of us had made, but I didn't receive an invoice. When I asked them about it they said my information must have been "lost" on the way to the boat. Are you kidding me!! I explained how we had signed our names next to one card and they obviously had no explanation. Anyways, just pay attention because if your account is not charge to a credit card or if you haven't settled with cash you will have issues getting off the boat. You may all know this, but as a first time cruiser, no one had told me this and the Carnival people are obviously not clear about it. Oh, and the $25 credit for missing Cozumel was a joke. But its what we allow them to do when we sign up for these cruises.
I know this is already way to long, and I probably should have posted somehwhere else, I apologize. But I do just want to mention the few saving graces on the boat. Our room steward in room 1061 was great and our dining staff in Renoir where we dined every night with a 16 month old was amazing!! The food in Renoir was always great too. And every staff member on the boat always treated my daughter like a princess, never like a burden. We won't be cruising in the near future, and if we do it will probably be in a smaller boat.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Luanne - Bet you can't wait to go!!! Remember to give me a review as I have not ever been on the Conquest - been on the Destiny but I hear the Conquest is better. Thanks, Debbie (just thought I'd check out the Carnival board since I have been on them so much - I've been on the NCL board since I know nothing about them).... Debbie
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
Admiral

cbnichol, Thank you for posting. It was not to long, and in fact it was very informative. I have heard stories like your before, which is why I wanted to get the conversation started, so that all of us going in a few weeks, can learn to adjust. Did you like the Holiday Inn?

Luanne

Debbie, I have been so busy I have not yet gotten the butterflies of cruising yet. It will come soon. Glad you are keeping up with us over here on the Carnival board.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Beginner

Luanne, We didn't actually stay at the Holiday Inn, we had stayed at Moody Gardens which was really nice. The Holiday Inn Shuttle van just happen to be sitting right outside the terminal and he offered to help us, and we took him up on it. The Holiday Inn does have a great view of the ocean though. cbnichol
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you for the review. I will not be in such a hurry to get off this time.
It will be our third cruise, and I thought we would be getting off about 9 am like before. Now I will not stress out. We have a 10 hour drive home. Thanks.

Elation 2003
Celebration 2004
Conquest 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2008
Conquest 2009
Conquest 2010
Magic 2012
Magic 2013
Elation 2014
Magic 2014
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Passenger

Galveston has quite a problem with their port and the Customs people. We got on the Conquest 10/16. Arrived at the port at 11:00 and was on the ship at 12:45. Disembarking was the biggest nightmare I can imagine and Carnival made 3000 people very mad! I am not exaggerating, I have never seen so many unhappy faces in my life. We literally stood in a line, carrying our many baggages in tow, for over 3 hours. We started the process at 8:00 am and left the pier at 2:45pm. I loved the Conquest but I seriously doubt I would ever step into Galveston the rest of my life. I sure hope they go back to New Orleans (Customs does not appear to take themselves so serious there and they still do their jobs). IF you have a flight before 3pm you had better make other plans!
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:07 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I was in Galveston not long ago,and I had NO trouble..but then again,I know when you have that many ppl trying to board a ship,its going to take some time.Been twice out of Galveston,and hope to take the Conquest some time after the first of the year.You will hear horror stories about each port and cruise line if you look hard enough...
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Passenger

Default Conquest and Galveston

:o We embarked on the Conquest October 30th. We arrived at the terminal around 11:00. There were no lines. We had completed our fun pass. We took a seat after we were told they would not start embarking until 2:00. We actually were invited to embark at 12:30.
Our replacement port for Cozumel was Playa del Carman. We did not disembark because the tender took 45 minutes each way. Also there was a long line to get a tender ticket. We have been to Playa del Carman before.
Our cruise was Great!!!!! They (Carnival) said the ship was full, but I don't beleive it. The dining room was never full.
Conquest arrived in Galveston at 6:00 AM. This was in spite of leaving Playa del Carmen late. A humanitarian mission to Cozemel by some of the ships staff delivering supplies delayed our departure.
We disembarked by 9:00am. We were on the Empress deck. They disembarked by color of luggage tag. I think we were the second group called after self assist. Once inside the terminal things can get a little crazy. This is when you go through customs. There is a line. There is a line to get assistance with your bags as well. I found our bags while my husband got assistance. The line to go through customs was not clearly defined and it was a little crazy but we were in our car and on the road by 9:30.