Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2005, 10:49 PM
Passenger

Default u can bring alcohol on? so im told

i know this topic get alot of people upset in many ways but is it true???I was on another message board and read of a passenger who was boarding a ship and the passenger in front of him was stopped and asked to hand in the liqour bottles he was carrying...the passenger stopped started in about how he is a lawer and said that due to RESTRICT OF TRADE LAWS no establishment {cruiseships included} can deny you entry with a product that they sell for a marked up profit....He was then allowed to proceed with his bottles without another word..Not saying i agree or disagree with wether this is a cheap mentality/ or a money savy mentality...but my question is is it true?????is it illegal for you to be denied entry with liqour and beer???
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:36 AM
Admiral

Don't know about liquor or beer but we did bring a bottle of wine with us on our cruise. According to the Carnival policy this was fine. Here is the link to the policy.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liq...on_Policy.aspx
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:32 AM
Yeoman

no alcohol allowed, and a bottle of wine/champagne is for room pleasure is what i read. $10 corking fee if you want it at your table, though sometimes this is waved.

Most often people become smugglers.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 10:47 AM
Passenger

i am aware of the policy but it sounds like if tested the policy doesnt hold up....anyone ever really test if they can not allow you to bring it ..I know they say you cant but many people say u cant do things that they dont want u to....but legally cant force you...I always buy drinks on board and do not consider myself cheap by far, just wondering if the policy is actually legal??
Old November 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Do you know that once you step on that ship you are no longer in the United States so it doesn't matter.

They have the right to set the rules almost any way they want. On NCL they will confiscate alcohol from the checked baggage and return it on the last night of your cruise. They don't take it from the bag, but ask you to come to the baggage area and open the bag. It's all legal. The lawyers and lawyer wannabes have hashed this to death for years and a cruise line has never been sued or had litigation brought forth. So, this is basically a mute point. You can probably bring it on board in your checked bags and never be caught but if you do then you won't have the use of it during your cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 2nd, 2005, 12:49 PM
Passenger

thanx mike but are you sure no ones has won cases like this/ people get killed and robbed on ships with no report from the cruisline and or the media...{a very large broom is used} lol

ps... trade laws are internationally governed
Old November 12th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

How about the fact that Carnival makes the rule so no one goes and gets sloppy drunk. Yeah they want to make money but if people are bringing their own drinks on they probally will bring enough to get twice as drunk. The other thing is glass bottles and kegs are not fun to get hit in the head with and if you brought your own you know it would happen. I am not saying everyone out there would push the envelope, but remember that laws are not made for those with discretion but rather those who need to be babysat and are idiots. ooops Im sorry ment to say those that are common sense challenged.

Thanks good luck, just follow the rules, people spend more time trying to figure out how to save $20 in booze when you really add the difference and I bet they could make up that money if they went and raked their neighbors leaves instead of being on the internet all day long trying to snake the system.
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Look at the cost of cruise. It`s a no brainer that cruiselines cannot possibly make a profit on the fare cost of the cruise only. They depend on a group of captured guests for the time of the cruise to sell drinks, photos, excurtions, gambling etc to make a profit. (I don`t work for a cruise line.)

Do you bring liquor into a restaurant?

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other. If the cruise line doen't make profit on liquor, they would have to raise the fare cost of the cruise.

Bill
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Passenger

IF YOU CANT AFFORD THE LIQUOR YOU SHOULD STAY HOME.
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Admiral

They make the rules and the rules state that they can refuse you passage for ANY reason the want. One of those reasons is if you wish to bring on alcohol and they say no and you say stop me. <G> Guess who is left standing on the dock waving bye-bye. End of story. I have a feeling many if not most people are rather lke me, very lenient and willing to bend the rules a little when people are nice but if they challange me and demand something, they are going to hit a very stubbern and brick wall. Always be nice to those who can affect your happiness.
Jim
Old November 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Admiral

I have a rule that you can't bring alcohol into my bar and I have every right to refuse you. Guess what? The alcohol laws in our country are designed to limit alcohol sales and consumption, not to open up every establishment to accomodate any customer's want. If you want to bring alcohol into my bar you won't get in.

A cruiseline, in my opinion, has their policy to limit the amount people can bring. We all know there are few, if any, cruiselines who will confiscate alcohol that is in your room. But they need to have a policy in place so they can enforce it when needed.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Thomas, I have never been able to figure out why people can't seem to grasp that simple concept!
Jim
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Dar4960 Send a message via Yahoo to Dar4960

There is plenty of liquor on the ship so I think it's best that you not carry your own. It's just money folks and you spent the dollars to purchase the cruise SO why not on the liquor! Rules are rules and should be followed. To each his own I guess...I've always been a rule follower myself...
Dar
Old November 13th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Beginner

Can you bring the alcoholic drinks that you buy onboard to your room and can you have drinks delivered to your room with room service? I just want to be able to drink in my room and I don't care about the cost. Thanks!
Old November 13th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Can you bring the alcoholic drinks that you buy onboard to your room and can you have drinks delivered to your room with room service? I just want to be able to drink in my room and I don't care about the cost. Thanks
Absolutely: On both counts. Drinks may be brought to your room and ordered through room service.

Enjoy your cruise!
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me