Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2005, 02:12 PM
First Mate

Default Not Ship Shore Excursions in Acapulco, Ixtapa, Manzanillo

Hubby and I usually try to figure out what sort of "excursion" we want to do in ports we will be visiting on our cruises, and then find a local company to book with, rather than booking through the ship. The savings are substantial, to say the least.

In December we will be taking the Spirit to Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, and Manzanillo. We have never been to any of these places.

Anyone who has been to these places before -- any and all information you can share is appreciated.

It appears that our ship arrives in Acapulco at 1:00 p.m. and leaves at 2:00 a.m. So we don't have a lot of daytime hours available. We've done just a wee bit of internet searching, and everything that sounds interesting begins before 1:00 p.m.!!! We like snorkeling a lot. I, personally, am not all that 'into' night-life, but hubby likes it, so I probably should find out about it...**...Are the cliff divers interesting at all? Its one of those things that I don't imagine to be all that interesting, and yet it is the only thing I 'know' Acapulco for, so it seems like not going to see them would be like visiting London and not seeing the Changing of the Guard....

I don't know anything at ALL about the other two ports. Once again, snorkeling would be great, if there is a good area for that. On Cozumel we always enjoyed going to Chankanaab Park, if that gives you any clue as to our likes.

We're not shoppers, per se, although we will be looking for a particular type of strawberry-flavored tequila that we found in Progresso last cruise (and have never seen since)....

Help! Are there tour companies we should book with ahead of time? Are we better off just getting off the ship and seeing what taxi's/busses/individual boat owners are there and what they have to offer? We've done that before and had great success (particularly in Cancun)....
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Terri, it's very easy on your own in Ixtapa/Zijuatenejo ... Zijuatenjo was the most picturesque port. A great place for snorkeling, I think, is Las Gatas beach, which is a protected area available only by water taxi. Anyone should be able to point you the way, and an easy walk.

Manzanillo is a nice place to poke around in the plaza. Beaches are famous here, so perhaps some beach time there, or as I said before, the inland tour is great from what my lender told me.

Acapulco is so big ... we did the cultural tour, which got us lots of sight-seeing. No cliff divers, but I've seen 'em in Mazatlan and didn't want to waste the time. the fort is just across the street from the dock, so you could easily do it on your own, but it was closed the day we arrived in port. BTW, it's a gorgeous sight as you sail into Acapulco -- so neat to be awake when arriving in port. Do expect lines to get off the ship though.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:30 AM
First Mate

Bumping for any other suggestions!