Old November 12th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Beginner

Default What to do in St. Thomas

Any suggestions on what to see and do would be appreciated. We are on the Triumph in St. Thomas on Jan 3.

Thanks
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Admiral

If you have never been then tour the island. Quite a bit to see. Shop downtown, go to St Johns and snorkle. Just a few of the many wonderful things to do. I really do not recommend just going to the beach as you can do that anywhere. Soak up the local culture, that's what it is all about.
Jim
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

St Thomas was our favorite stop when we cruised on the Paradise. While there we rode the Skyride up to Paradise Point. At 700 feet up you get a fantastic view of the cruise ships and of the island. Plus there was a bird show and a place to get a drink before heading back down.

Another unique and fun attraction is the Atlantis Submarine ride. We loved it. You board a submarine with large windows on the side and dive to about 75 ft. The view is amazing.

I hope the suggestions help. Enjoy your cruise!
Carnival Paradise
NCL Dream
Carnival Elation
Carnival Conquest
Golden Princess
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Passenger

Hello,

Hey Jim...for fun sake.........

If you go to any port and always do a tour of the city/country and never go to a beach, then when would you ever be able to 'just go to a beach as you can do that anywhere'......

Have a nice day
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetter
If you go to any port and always do a tour of the city/country and never go to a beach, then when would you ever be able to 'just go to a beach as you can do that anywhere'......
St. Thomas :-)

because unless you love shoping and traffic it is like almost any other island. Just kidding, but I usually go to the beach there because I do not like to shop, but if you are traveling with a shopper good luck trying ot get them to ignore the all the stores there.
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Admiral

so much depends upon what you want to do. A good place to start would be Carnival's web site, see what they offer to get a general idea. Then go to either Frommer's or Fodor's web sites to get their travel guides. St. Thomas is very easy to do on your own if you choose. There are many beautiful beaches to choose from. There is good snorkel on St.Thomas proper, and beautiful beaches and very good snorkeling over on St. John Island (you need to take the water taxi to get there) .
Then there is always shopping - either at Havensight Mall (the stores at the pier) or in downtown Charlotte-Amaile- you will find more stores downtown.
Paradise Point Tramway is a short walk from the pier, the view of the harbor from up top is breathtaking.
Old November 15th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Admiral

gogetter, as I live just a couple of miles from the beach I often forget that some others aren't as lucky. I guess my point was that we have beaches here in the USA that are just as good.
Jim
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were in St. Thomas in July 1998. Husband and son went on a HUGE speedboat( made reservations thru Carnival), and then they went snorkling off some barrier island, I think.
Son got a little seasick after drinking rum and eating chips, but other than that they both loved it. HAHA. There are lots of shops at the pier, and I went on the Tram up the mountain...gorgeous!!! You can just buy your ticket when you get to the office, it was maybe a 5 minute walk from the ship, and I think the ride was maybe $2.00 or so.
The area near the pier looks like a postcard, just beautiful!!!