Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Passenger

Default Tortola and Antigua Ports

i am "scouting out" my port days for these two islands. does anyone know where the ship docks?? Is it right in the main town or outside ??

Thanks.............
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Passenger

I'm also curious about what kind of fun things there are to do on these two islands so please include that too....TIA!!!
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Familiar Face

The Baths in Tortola are supposed to be the thing to do.
Try ***Commercial website deleted*** Lots of good reviews from persons that did this tour on their own. I have reserved it for my group on the Liberty' April 1 sailing.
Please keep me posted on what you find and actually do PLEASE>>>
rdonte@cox.net
Festivale 1990
Tropicale 1992
Holiday 1994
Inspiration 1996
Celebration 1998
Inspiration 2000
Elation 2001
Destiny 2002
Glory 4/24/04
Spirit 10/09/04
Liberty 9/05
Liberty 4/1/06
Spirit 8/1/07 Alaska
Spirit 4/6/08 Mexico
Elation 5/14/09 Catalina
Triumph 9/26/09 New England
Miracle 3/27/11 & 4/4/11 B2B

Next
Spirit 4/28/2012
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Admiral

I was in Antigua yesterday and we did not plan an excursion, just thought we'd stroll through town and get a feel for the local flavor. Big mistake! Antigua is the sort of place you should book a tour through the ship. The shopkeepers can very pushy and even hostile. This is one port I did not feel the least bit safe in. The only positive resoonses I heard about this port from other cruisers on the Liberty were the ones who booked tours. Do not do this one on your own. Also, this would be a wonderful opportunity to take advantage of port day specials in the spa. Antigua is a place I really do not care to return to, ever.
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Passenger

I spent several weeks in Antiqua racing sail boats a few years ago, We did a few local races to some of the resorts which had impressive beaches. We did party alot at an old fort high atop a hill in south end, and around that general area it was nice, and friendly. I can't remember name just now, did I say we darank alillte. We did do one trip to port area and ran away quickly also. I swore I would never get on one of those ugly lookin cruise ships that we would sail by unseen at night. I found St Thomas to look like down town anyplace Florida to me , did you find that? 14 more days till cruise #2 on Miracle, and wife has Antigua and that area planned for next cruise. I quess from inexperienced cruisers point of view, if you have seen the downtown of one port town you've seen them all.
Old November 20th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Admiral

In Tortola you will dock in Roadtown. Unlike the bustleing ports of the Caribbean, Roadtown is a laid back little place with very little shopping or activities. The is a nice little craft village, and Pussr's for a drink (painkiller). Safe, reservedly friendly island . The typical thing to do is Cab to Cane Garden Bay. Beach bars and restaurants and laid back accomadations line this idealic beach. Other beaches (with less services ) include Brewers or Smugglers Bays. Another alterbnative is a trip to the Baths on nearby Virgin Gorda> Do this with a ship's excursion as BVI ferries are notoriously unreliable for time.
365 different beaches in Antgua. Get away from town . It is crowded , poor and commercial.
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Wow BW! We didn't get that impression when we were there. Maybe we were lucky. Anyway, Sylvia and I actually did find someone in town to take us on a private tour and we went to Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Hieghts across the island and we had a good time. OIne other couple was also with us that we only met when gettinhg the private tour. Nice folks though. We did not spend all that much time with the locals to really get a good 'feel' for them but had a good time and would like to do it again. English is the language there so no problem with the language. If you feel insecure at all then I would definately take a ships tour. You do not have to be afraid to do a ships tour, just cautious as you know the ships tour is safe and you will get what they advertise or you have recourse through the excursions manager onboard. When on your own you really are on your own and yes bad things can happen, even though it is not common. I take quite a few independant tours simply because I do speak Spanish, (which I do not tell them), and I 'can' be quitely intimidating if I need be. This is something I learned being a cop and I do it well. <G> Even with that I know I can get ripped off or in trouble so I have my 'radar' up and pray it works or just simply do not go there or do it. You never have those worries on a ships tour so whenever in doubt, do the ships tours.
Jim
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Passenger

Thanks Jim, sobering up now, Shirley Hieghts, wow quite a party up there each night. I felt so secure I slept on the deck of the 50' sail boat each night. The dock yard (old fort area) is quite a place during race weeks in the spring, several hundered large sail boats race to other islands and back and around island. Oh ;and party alittle. I today surfed around and found an outfit who drives you over too that area for a day of kayaking and then enjoy one of the 365 beaches. I personally would return tomorow. c ya enjoy
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Passenger

as beenieweenie states antigua can be a little intimadating
but if you have ever been to jamaica it is no worse, just
keep on walking. my wife and I were on the same cruise
and at this port we went to dickinsons beach and had a great time
as thew water was wonderful and the beach when walking into the
water was very comparable to grand caymen soft and sandy
bottom. sorry we didn't get to meet bw but I had john make an announcement on the morning show on friday for people to
meet at the pool bar on the starboard side and no one showed
up or at least didn't say anything. I did meet up with hippie-
killer and monica and huck. it was really nice to be able to
see what you've been talking to for months on this board.
as for tortola i have a friend who lives there and picked us
up on his boat and took us to his house on great camonae
island. this made our entire cruise worth the trip and also had
lunch at marina cay. any questions send me an e-mail