Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Yeoman

Default Camp Carnival Thoughts, shell shock IMHO

So,

Traveling on the conquest, my son and I, during Spring Break. We are traveling with another family as well. Here is what I am shocked about. I read that a couple went off on there shore excursion, and left a child on the ship with the camp. This child was under the age of 5. Do people really do this?

You travel to foreign lands where just about anything can happen. You leave your child in the hands of capable staff while you toot on to your shore excursions. I just do not think I can do this.

This is just my thoughts, but if something happened to your party, that 1 in a million chance, and you can not get back to the boat, what happens to your child you left behind?

What happens if your out doing a shore thing and your child has an emergency, those beepers don't have a huge radius, especially under water. You can't get back to the ship fast.

Is it just my paranoia in regards to leaving the ship without your child, and I am talking from Infant to 11 or so, or is it just, well, my paranoia?

I just can't see leaving the ship without my son sharing in the fun. If I even leave the ship at all.
Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Passenger

You're not alone in feeling that way. I know people do it all the time and feel very comfortable with it, and for them it's great. My uncle and his wife have done it several times with their daughter and they are fine with it. But I can't do it. Not only do I not feel comfortable leaving them behind while I venture off into unknown territory, but I brought them along for a reason....I want them to experience new places and things with us. That's just me, like I said, I know that many people are fine with it. Do what makes you feel comfortable.
Old November 20th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I did hear about an incident once on an RCI ship, where the parents left their child onboard in the kid's program when the stopped in Nassau.

Then the parents did not return to the ship in time for sailing, leaving Nassau. The next day was a sea day going back to Miami.

The parents had to fly back to Miami at their own expense, then were presented with a significant bill for the care of the child for 48 hrs.

Personally I think social services in Miami should have been notified, and the parents put over the coals for their ignorance, rather than just a financial penalty.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Admiral

As said, it has happened in the past with significant finacial penalties. The ship does and would of course take excellant care of the child but that really should not be necessary if they have a proper parenting responsibility. I actually can see the parent going off on an excursions or a short shopping trip and leave the child onboard in a responsible program but those that think they should 'test the waters' and go off on their own for an all day adventure and hope they make it back to the ship before sailing, shame on them.
Jim
Old November 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

It's not just you. I would never leave my child on board ship while I went off. When cruising with our children its a family vacation and we plan excursions the whole family can do together. The first year we cruised with the kids the older ones wanted to do some things the younger ones were too little for. My husband took the older ones to one excursion while I took the younger ones on another that was more age appropriate for them. I wouldn't have dreamed of leaving them on board to go off to enjoy myself (although I would have preferred the other excursion!).
Old November 22nd, 2005, 06:25 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

I don't put mine in the camp WHEN I'M ON the ship. Why bring them if you're dumping them.

JMO
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeteLI
I don't put mine in the camp WHEN I'M ON the ship. Why bring them if you're dumping them.

JMO
While I would not leave my child on the ship while I was on an excursion. I most definitely leave them in Camp Carnival while I am on the ship. Last year my youngest cried when she had to leave the ship and when she reflects on her cruise it is not the experiences she had on land with us that she first remembers but it is the treasure hunts, the pirate games, the water games, etc at Camp Carnival that she focuses on. I don't look at it as dumping them but rather that I am offering them a fun experience. We still have lots of time together but as adults we get some time alone too.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:00 AM
Passenger

My kids also love Camp Carnival, especially my 6 year old. I do not consider it to be "dumping" them at all....they want to go, and when they are ready to leave, they beep me, and I'm right there to get them. I think it's a wonderful opportunity for them to meet new kids from different places....they have even kept in touch with some of them that they met last year. I still would never leave them there while I went off the ship though....
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
First Mate

My kids have never been dumped in Camp Carnival they have asked to go. When they are ready to leave I've always go and get them. I once asked my daughter(7)at the time why she likes to go to Camp Carnival her reply was "what you want me to hang with all the adult?, it's so much more fun there". We have time set aside for family time everyday. In regards to leaving them in Camp Carnival when leaving the ship we never did that with our son because he always wanted to go with us. My daughter on the last cruise didn't want to got to the rain forest and asked if she go stay in Camp Carnival we agreed after lenghty discussion with the counselors. As one of them said just think of it as you are going to work for a few hours and you have hired a responsible adult who is train in cpr/first-aid to watch your child who has access to a doctor in case of emergency. We did take ship tour as you will not be left behind. So I say if your child is comfortable and WANTS to stay there I don't see a problem. IMO.

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:32 AM
Beginner

Default ok but........

some children prefer to do this as thye are haveing alot more fun than wat thye woudl be doing with the parents sometime !!!!!!!!!
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

My kids LOVE Camp Carnival. They couldn't wait to go every night for a few hours after dinner. I never left them there during the daytime at all though...we spent our days together. I did drop them off there after dinner to go into Cozumel and enjoy some shopping and a drink at Fat Tuesdays with my mom. I didn't see any harm in this at all.

I would never ever leave my kids at the camp to go get sloshed and miss the boat ....that is completely different and should not be compared to normal use of Camp Carnival services and activities.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Beginner

Default get over it !!!!!!!

i no that when i was a kid i used to love going to camp carnival dispite my parents going off if i didnt want to go then my parents woudl take me on an excurision !!!!!!!!
Old November 29th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Admiral

We started cruising as a family when my boys were 5 and 8. We always did shore excursions together and they enjoyed Camp Carnival while we were on the ship.

Starting when they were 9 and 12, we would do family excursions in the morning and then take them back to Camp Carnival, so that Dad and I would go into town for some shopping.

Now they are 14 and 17 this summer in Alaska the boys took themselves back to the ship at Ketchican, after our family outing, while Dad and I shopped around town.

Dad and I have never gone on any "shore excursions" without them, (I would not feel comfortable doing that) we do go into town shopping and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. We have never had a problem.

The boys no longer do much with Camp Carnival, but that is their choice.

It is like anything else, all you have to do is use a little common sense.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND