Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:58 AM
First Mate

Default Trip Insurance

I am confused about if we should by trip insurance or not. Went to insuremytrip.com and real nice there how you can compare policies with different companies. Not sure what to get, or with what company. Any advice??? Hear Travel Guard was a good one???? Thanks, appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Admiral

I tried insuremytrip.com also and thought is was easy and a good site for finding insurance. I was about to buy a policy when I discovered the DW had already, inadvertantly, bought insurance when she made the final payment.

I don't know your situation so it's hard to say. When I go on short cruises I usually don't buy the insurance. We live in Florida so we drive to the ports. The price of the cruise isn't that expensive. The only concern is medical coverage outside of the U.S.

The risks are different for someone living in the north, who is flying to the port, which may be snowed in. The risks are different for someone who is 30 years old and healthy than someone who is 70 and weaker. The risks are different for someone who is leaving behind a terminally ill parent than someone who is not.

There are a lot of things to look at when deciding IF one should buy the insurance.
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Admiral

We never cruise without it. We buy trip cancellation/interuption and medical evacuation coverage. You just never know, and its not that expensive. Travelguard is a very reuptable company.
Old December 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I wouldn't travel without it. You just never know. Someone who is young and healthy can experience a medical emergency just as easily as an older person.
Old December 14th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cruise Insurance

I can't imagine taking a cruise without travel insurance.
Several years ago, a couple in my community went on a month long cruise to some exotic place.
During the second week, the husband fell in the shower and broke his hip, he had to be evacuated off the ship. This couple was very well off, so they had not gotten the travel insurance. Before the husband could be airlifted off the ship, they had to guarantee the cost with a credit card! The price.....$30,000!!!!
Of course, the wife had to make arrangements to leave the ship and go with her husband. He was in the hospital for 3 weeks, she had to stay in a hotel, and then he had to have a medical plane bring him back to the United States.
The husband told us later, that the cost of his accident was over $200,000.
They NEVER went on a cruise again without travel insurance.
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

We always purchase insurance. Our personal favorite is Travelex Travel Lite policy (can be purchased at insuremytrip.com). The prices are excellent, and service is outstanding. We had to cancel a cruise 3 weeks before sailing due to my husband's illness, and Travelex reimbursed us every penny within 2 weeks of filing a claim. It was a totally painless process. The claim form is very easy to complete. Their customer service was outstanding as well. I highly recommend them.
Old December 18th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Having been on a couple of dozen cruises, we have been fortunate enough to have never needed insurance.

However, just to show how it goes, we had booked a room at the Ballagio in Vegas for 09-18 to 09-22. On 09-13 I had to have major surgery so naturally the trip had to be cancelled. We had trip insurance with Travelex and was reimbursed 100%. Speaking from personal experience, you just never know if or when you may need it but it is well worth the cost.
Take the insurance and take it when you first book your trip.
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Buy it, buy it, buy it!
Valor Westside!
Old December 21st, 2005, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and I have been on about 35 cruises.. So, what is the point.. Thru the years we have had to cancell about three trips.. It was very nice to have insurance that covered the cost of the trips not taken.. We have used Travel Guard and found them to be very fair and are easy to deal with..OM
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM
First Mate

Thanks! Purchased insurance from Travelex!! Thanks for all the info!!!!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

ON my 2 cruises I have been on I have opted to not have insurance as I am young and healthy but on this next cruise we will be bringing our two young children one being only 6 months old. So I am definately going to have it just because you never know what may go wrong.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Even though you have already bought insurance, I wanted to add a reply for other cruisers. We usually purchase Travel Guard insurance and last trip bought Berkley through Carnival.

Our August trip was booked last minute (4days prior to sailing) and we did not think we could buy at this late date. We could have and should have.

1) We left New Orleans the day before Katrina - lost our car
2) Had death in immediate family 2 days into trip
3) Had to arrange emergency flight home when we reached Cozumel. Could not fly into Mobile. Flew to Houston, then Atlanta and then rented a car to get home (1way prices).
4) Lost luggage in Atlanta

Spent over $2500 to get home with no insurance. Never again will we travel without it.

PS:Our Blue Cross coverage includes airlift for emergency medical.