Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 25th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Beginner

Default Rough Seas

With all the new threads started on NCL Ships during rough seas , I would like to know how most passengers cope during a storm. I have been on many cruises but have been blessed with calm waters. I do take the transderm patch to help with my sea sickness. Would a storm at sea mean that all passengers are in their rooms sick or are some passengers not bothered at all by rough seas. Thanks a lot in advance for all your posts.
Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Our last cruises in November we had up to 60 mph winds and rough seas for several days. While some people were under the weather fortunately it had little effect on our family. The wind was so bad they closed the top decks of the ship because it just wasn't safe to go up there. I think alot of it depends on the ship you are on. When we encountered rough seas on the Sensation, it seemed as though a huge number of the passengers were in their rooms and many that were out and about were tossing their cookies, luckily most of them found the bags taped to the walls or made it to the bathroom in time. The ship seemed very quiet during that time and the activity level was way down and not too many people made it to dinner that night. However, on the Enchantment and the Liberty, it seemed as though the seas were much rougher, but it didn't appear to effect as many people though. Go figure, perhaps the particular stabilizers they use on newer ship reduce the seasickness.
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I just got off the Conquest, and it was very rocky. My hubby, one son and I had no trouble, but my other son didn't do so well if he was off his meds. If he remembered those, he was fine. I think it depends on the person. They also closed our pool areas when it got so bad.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 26th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

,hey beenie I was on the liberty when you were ,mikee was tring to get ahold of you guys,john heald even made an annoucement on his morning show.Anyway,I remember one night it felt like we got hit by a preety big wave,it shook the chadilers,no big deal,we were better off than people in the western carib,with that depresion,.greg
Old December 26th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Beenieweenie, AS you know I was out in Novemeber just after you on the Enchantemnt and went through those same seas while you were on the Liberty. The top deck was so windy, you could hardly run around the track. We have some good seas most of the way until we came around Cuba and were in a following sea. I think the ship handled it well and while it doesn't bother me at all. Most passengers seemed OK. But you could feel it.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old December 26th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Dave..you should preface your statement with the fact that you have a very strong intestinal fortitude, which prevents you from ever getting seasick
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We were in the Gulf when Katrina hit. The kids and I all took bonine and were fine.
Old January 1st, 2006, 01:05 AM
Admiral

We have been on several cruises where we encountered very rough weather, including a typhoon in the south Pacific, the southern seas off Cape Horn, and a storm off the coast of Australia that put every item on every table in every stateroom on the Crystal Harmony on the floor. The dining room was almost empty that night. A great many were very seasick including crew. It was almost impossible to walk down the passageways. Went on for 24 hours. Didn't bother my wife a bit, and I did OK with some Bonine. It works for most people. The patches are only for those who are prone to suffer major motion sickness easily.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:39 AM
Familiar Face

Talk about rough seas. My wife and I were on a very small ship (9,000 tons) back in 1985 for a 2 week eastern caribbean cruise. It was a Greek ship called the Jupiter. As we were making the trip from Aruba up to the Domican Republic, our ship was was tossed around like plastic boat in a bathtub. The entire buffet table fell right over (I grabbed my food before it did, lol). Most passengers stayed in their rooms (from the 400 on board). That was a fantastic cruise anyways. (13 stops in 14 days).
I feel a bit safer going on the 110,000 ton Valor!
Dave
2006 Jan. 8th Valor
2005 Triumph
1983 Carnivale