Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Hawaii cruise question

We are tossing up the idea between a Hawaii cruise or one from N.Y. to Halifax, etc. The option dates are in February 2007 or early June 2007. Is the Hawaii cruise worth it to see the islands. We love sea days, but just can't take off for a 12 day cruise! I don't think I would like 5 sea days in a row either. What other options do I have? Is a cruise to Hawaii worth it if you stop at one port a day? How expensive is it as compared to a carribbean cruise? Do ships sail in Feb. and June - or or there just certain months? Anyone have any experience with all of this? Would be much appreciated! And...which is better of the two sites we have chosen (Hawaii or Canada....or even Bermuda??) Thanks..
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Yeoman

Default Hawaii cruise question

Cheryl, we cruised to Hawaii from Vancouver, B.C. with four days at sea and then flew home from Honolulu, hardest part of the trip as we live in New England. Will never forget it and so worth the big bucks spent. Bermuda is nice, but I don't care to cruise up the coast to Canada,(we can drive there). Now you have the choice of flying to Hawaii and taking the NCL Pride of America (brand new) and go to all the islands or perhaps going to L.A. and crossing from there. Above all, research, research. Good luck with your choices and let us know what you decide.
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Cheryl,
Merry Christmas!
We cruised around Hawai on the NCL Star. It was a good cruise except the ship was so new it was creaking all day and night. It always sounded like someone was coming in the door and kept everyone awake at night. Lots of ppl were buying earplugs and even trying things like Tylenol PM. An elderly friend of ours went 3 months after us and she was so upset about it too that she had written a letter before she left the ship. I haven't heard anything recently about the ship so maybe it doesn't do that anymore.

Anyway, it was my first time seeing Hawaii and I loved it. I just wouldn't do the Luau thru the ship again. Too many ppl and it took up our time in Maui. We had to get passports for this trip because the ship stopped at Fanning Island which not required anymore. Our friends are booked on the newest NCL ship for this summer and they said it's over $5300 for two so far. It was probably the most expensive cruise vacation because of the airfare. We got a good deal on the air thru Pleasant by booking 2 pre and 1 post nights.

Happy New Year!

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 26th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Hawaii hands down (priceless)...the islands are beautiful and you will never forget them and you never know you may not have the opportunity to go to the island again in the near future and you can always get to Canada
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Admiral

Wow -- expensive. I will have to research, as I just got back from Alaska in September and that one cost us over 6,000 for 2 people with excursions and VERY LITTLE drinking! I hear Hawaii is awesome -- I just like the sea days too. What months are the best months to go? Maybe I wil get Hawaii for dummies and read up?? Thanks all...
Old December 27th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West
Default cherylroy

cherylroy,
In a couple of years, I'm (we) are looking at the same thing. I want the wife and I to fly to Hawaii, then take a 7-day cruise or so to see the Islands. This would be for our 30'th wedding aniv. present to both of us.
I'm looking at cost of $3000.00 - $3500.00 per person. Bringing a total cost close to $7000.00 by the time we get back home. Maybe alittle cheaper,according to when you sail. After our May cruise, I'm going to start looking into that deeper.
There's airfare, precruise motel, cruise,spending money for island purchases, S&S account, postcruise motel, not to meantion all the tips you'll be giving out here and there ...
Best of luck on your decission . Remember,on cruises, theres no wrong choices Just better ones Let us know what you decide to do.

Happy sailing;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old December 27th, 2005, 09:17 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

We did the Ensenada run to Hawaii back in 1998.

Well worth the time; the 5 days at sea were MARVELOUS. Wife was 5 months pregnant, and was nervous about both the sea days and the 12 days total. When we were to get off, she wished we had another 5 days back to go back the mainland.

The overview of the islands is great. You get to see so much. We rented a car in each stop and went when and where we wanted.

DD, now 7, wants us to do this again so she can experience it!
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old December 27th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

I've been looking at the NCL ship Pride Of America, It looks really nice. Airfare from Jackson,Miss to HNL, is $714.00 + each. Cost of the cruise is close to 1500.00 each. Yep Thats going to be an expensive trip

I'll start saving for that after our May Cruise.

Happy Cruising all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Yes, I think after our April and Feb cruise, I will look more into it also -- and GREAT idea -- for our 30th! We went to Alaska (this past September) for our 25th (I surprised my DH) and if I make it alive to 30th it will be well deserved (good excuse). Maybe by then, we can afford to take the extra 5 days at sea since we will not have school tuition to buy for! I think I would rather fly to Hawaii and cruise the 5 days up to Vancouver post Hawaii -- gives you time to relax after all the stops. Do they do activities, shows on those 5 days also on board? Thanks
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:28 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Yes, and we would have LOVED to have those 5 days after the 7 days of touring, cause we were EXHAUSTED!