Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Beginner

Default Taking friend of teenage son...documents needed?

I will be traveling with my mother, my 16 yr-old son and one of his friends. Has anyone taken a minor guest with them and if so, what documentation was needed? Should I have his parents prepare a limited power of attorney appointing me his guardian for the week of the cruise? Any insight from those who have been there, done that would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Admiral

He will need his birth certificate and a photo ID. You will need a notorized letter from his parents, (Both of them to sign it), stating that you have permission to take him with you and out of the country AND that you have the right to make medicale decisions on their behalf. You will also need the permission of your wife to take your son out of the country on this cruise. Ideally both your son and his friend will have a passport but you still need parential permission from all absent parents giving you permission to remove them from the control of the USA and also giving you permission in medical matters.
Jim
Old December 26th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Admiral

From the Carnival website:
When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I traveled with my two children and one of my daughter's friends (13) last August. I was asked for a signed notarized letter from my ex-husband for my kids and one from the friends' parents when signing in. When we arrived in port I was asked to produce the letter for the friend again. Make sure you bring these letters.
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Beginner

Bring a copy of their insurace card too. Just in case you need to use this. I made a folder of my daughters friend we took and had everything from the letter of consent from her parents to the legal copy notarized. Make sure they have the original birth certificate and not a copy. Contact information etc.

Cinderose
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks for all your help.

Thanks to everyone who offered information and advice.
Old December 28th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Beginner

How is "minor" defined? We are crusing on the Fantasy in January with my daughter and her friend who are both 18 years old. Would we still need the letter authorizing travel for my daughter's friend?

Seems to me no since 18 is the age of reason in the US (e.g. contracts are binding on 18 year olds; get dropped from parents' employer medical insurance unless a student etc.) But, I thought I would ask?

Thanks

CTMak
Old December 28th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Admiral

18 is not a minor in the USA as you stated but you are going to be held responsible for all of her actiuons just like you will for your own daughter. They will simply require the same documentation that you will, ie passport or BC and photo ID, and that is it. Just understand that in the contract with CCL you are the responsible party. It might be a good idea if she or her parents gives you a letter saying you have permission to make medical decisions for her if she can't. Always prepared.
Jim
Old December 28th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Beginner

Thannks Jim.