Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2006, 02:38 AM
Beginner

Default Carnival Triumph- April 29,2006- First time with kids,help!

This will be our very first cruise and we wil lbe bringing out children aged 9 and 7. We would love to take them snorkeling and to just watch the expression on ther faces. Any hints?

Also any feedback on the kids club at Carnival would be appreciated.

Are the children not allowed at formal dining? And if they are allowed does my 9 year old son need a suit or just shirt and tie?

Thanks for all the postings on this site . It has provided tons of advise thus far.

FYI- Our ports are Cozumel, Ocho Rios and the Grand Caymans.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2006, 05:36 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Never used the club, but all are welcome in the dining room. The dress code adheres to children as well.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM
First Mate

My daughters were both 5 when they started snorkeling. Have your kids done it before? The girls went to a diving shop that gave snorkeling lessons. It was only for a couple hours, and they have loved it ever since. Where are you going on your cruise? In some places they had a hard time with the current and were tossed into coral but so did my husband. Have a wonderful time and I know the kids will. As for the club, my kids never wanted to leave.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:21 PM
Admiral

If the kids swim, certainly take them snorkeling! Make sure you book the StingRay City tour, the entire family will love it! In ocho Rios you can take everyone to Margaritaville for beach fun and shopping and if they are adventourous take them and clomb Dunns River Falls first.
Camp Carnival is excellant and the kids love it. Children are welcome in the dining room on every night but the dress code does apply to them as well and at the least let them wear a white shirt and tie. I have even seen some kids in tuxes! <>
Jim
Old January 5th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Beginner

Default Snorkel gear

Thanks for the great advice. I am unsure if we should buy snorkel gear here in Edmonton or just rent it down there. We do plan to snorkel in Cozumel and Grand Cayman.. any advice?

Also I have heard that it is cheaper to book excursions outside of Carnival, but that the tenders for Grand Cayman are done on a priority for the Stingray city booked through the ship.

Any advice on the above?

TIA
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Shawn:

First of all have a great time. Camp Carnival is wonderful. When my kids were younger they loved it and didn't want to leave. They couldn't wait for the next cruise so they could go back.

Grand Cayman: I would definitely do the Sting Ray City/Snorkel tour. If your children aren't strong swimmers they can wear a life vest. We used Soto's Cruises and had a great day with them. Other companies that have received good reviews are Captain Marvin's and Nativeways.

Cozumel: Not sure what will be open in Cozumel. We really like Chankanaab Park and have been there several times. I've booked several tours here through cozumelinsider.com. Sherri is great and will answer any question you have. They're right on the island and are very knowledgable. Our last trip our tour was cancelled due to Hurricane Katrina. They'd processed my refund before I even got home.

Ocho Rios: I would do a ship tour here. Dunns River Falls would be a good one to do.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to email me.

Darcy
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Passenger

We took our 4 year old and 8 year old snorkling at the stingray and coral reef in Caymans in December when we were cruising on the Liberty. Please be aware they do not have small snorkle gear for kids despite Carnival promoting it for kids. My yongest and wife stayed on the boat and my 8 year old just swam but didn't get to enjoy looking underwater. We complained to the Excurision desk...they have a "too bad, so sad" policy and act like it is between you and the excurions company. We will be writing carnival to get some of our money back. If your kids swim, that's good but take kid goggles with you. Otherwise, it's should be fun! As for Camp Carnival.....it was awesome. The kids kept asking to go back. We even felt comfortable enough to leave them there while we went on an excursion in Mexico. However, your 7 and 9 year old will not be together. There is no discretion since they break them up by age group.