CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   another Hawaii question for those who have been (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/306201-another-hawaii-question-those-who-have-been.html)

cherylroy January 4th, 2006 08:22 PM

another Hawaii question for those who have been

For those who have been to Hawaii before, is cruising the way to go or is a landline vacation to Hawaii better? Thanks!

CA Cruiser January 4th, 2006 09:56 PM

Aloha Cheryl,

Hope you're doing well. Just our opinion....We liked cruising around Hawaii alot because it was our first time to Hawaii and we got to see alot. We did a 2 day pre and 1 day post cruise hotel stay also thru Pleasant and that helped tremendous with our airfare. We got to see & experience 4 different islands and see which one we would want to come to visit on a land vacation. My friends are split between Kauai and Maui. We came back to visit Oahu because we have 3 different families we visited.

My brother and sister love cruising but prefer to visit Hawaii on land, island hopping every 2 or 3 days. They said you can see and do more which is true of any destination.

Teresa

cherylroy January 4th, 2006 10:10 PM

Yes, thats what my sister thinks too - says you can see alot more. I'm not so sure as when you are cruising around, you can see bunches, right? I would much prefer cruising and as I told my husband since we haven't been there before, we wouldn't know what we were missing...lol. Its one of those once in a lifetime cruises - sorta like Alaska - and I just want to make sure I make the most of it. My parents went years ago and island hopped via plane, but if there are weight restrictions like there are on most, that may be a problem. Thanks for your advice!

richstacy January 4th, 2006 11:41 PM

If you've never been before the cruise is the way to go because you'll get to see probably Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. then the next time you go, you'll want to stay on Maui at beach front hotel for two weeks, because as they say, Maui no ka oi, Maui is the best. It really is. But you need to see them all. BTW starting this year there will be a large super ferry connecting the Islands which will add a new dimension to Hawaii. In any event, I know you are going to love your cruise! :)

PapaBill January 5th, 2006 08:01 AM

I would tend to agree with Rich. Our first trip was a cruise with a prestay on Oahu. We got a "taste" of each island and then felt better afew years later about our decision to do land. We like to do 5 to7 days on Maui and perhaps 5 or 6 days on another island . One "hop" is more than enough
for us on any given trip. Next time will be Maui and the Big Island (Fall 2007 if current plans continue).

OLD MAN January 5th, 2006 06:11 PM

Good question... I have been to Hawaii about 35 times and I have been on about 38 cruise's to a lot of places... So what is the point.. If you want to cruise Hawaii then that is fine, you will have a nice time, but if you want to really see Hawaii then you need to do a land trip.. OM

richstacy January 5th, 2006 06:24 PM

My point is that for a first time overview, a cruise is a fine idea.

CA Cruiser January 5th, 2006 06:27 PM

I agree. When we cruised Hawaii and saw it for the first time, we knew it was just a "taste" of each place. Want to do it again soon.

Teresa

cruisinforever January 7th, 2006 01:10 PM

another Hawaii question for those who have been

We eloped to Khuai in 1988 and also visited Maui on that trip. It is true, a vacation on land affords you the opportunity to see everything. Seven years later we sailed from Vancouver to Hawaii and visited all the islands. We really have no preference, both were fabulous.

Betty

richstacy January 7th, 2006 01:45 PM

My wife and I have seen newlyweds in Hawaii before, and always wondered if they were paying any attention to the scenery. :D

cruisinforever January 7th, 2006 05:29 PM

Another Hawaii question for those who have been

Yes, Rich we indeed paid attention to the scenary. We were mid forties when we got hitched and just for you, Rich, we call my dh somewhat of an Indiana Jones Because of his adventurous nature. In Florida many years ago he left me in a motel in the Keys to explore and fish back roads and inlets. One of the locals told him he should move on and not come back. In Hawaii we would venture down back roads and no trespassing didn't bother him at all. Oh well, I knew all this when I married him and it's never been boring.

Betty

Jim Bragg January 7th, 2006 05:37 PM

A cruise allows you to visit a number of islands and you get a day to get a nice overview so that you can decide which islands to spend more time at on a later date. Oahu definately takes more time as you need to drive around it for a couple days as well as visit the Polyoneasian Village, Pearl Harbor, DiamondHead, Wahakki etc, etc. The Big island takes a few days as well to see the volcanos and Hilo and rances. One of the greatest adventures are the Helo rides. We did one on both Hawaii and Maui and had a fantastic time. We booked both via Tom Barefoot Tours and paid less than the ships tours and some of the folks on the same helo both times were ships tours people! Pay in advance and get an additional discount. There may be other companies that do this as well. You can and should also rent a car on the other islands and drive around. We even did that on Maui as we needed the car to get to the helo field.
Jim

richstacy January 7th, 2006 05:58 PM

You are right about the car Jim. Last time we were on Maui, (last Feb and March) we were there for a month. (couldn't afford a cruise that year!) We had a car and put 1,300 miles on it. Can't wait to do it again. Of all the places we've been we like Maui the best. The prices are steep, but it really is paradise on Earth! I think I'd get island fever if I lived there, but I can sure take a month at a time in the winter :!: