Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Beginner

Default Carnival Liberty--FLL debarkation time

Can anyone tell me what time they got off the Liberty in Ft. Lauderdale? I am trying to figure out what is a reasonable time to get a flight out. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Admiral

We got off at 9:30 but our friends didn't get off until 11:30. The airport is close but I still wouldn't recommend a flight before noon. Even then you might have to get early debarkation. Also, there were 7 ships debarking that morning and we heard the airport was a zoo. Because of that, we always stay an extra day.

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Admiral

We got off the Liberty about 10:00 a.m., we just sat back and relaxed on the Lido deck and waited so we didn't have to stand in much of a line to leave. The wonderful part about Ft. Lauderdale is that the Cruise Port is right next to the airport, so it won't take long at all to grab a cab and catch your plane. If embarcation is the same nightmare as when we cruised, either get there early like 10:30a.m. - 11:00 a.m. or go there later like 2:00 p.m. because the lines and waiting in the hot sun was horrendous, luckily we got there early and though we only waited about an hour or so, most of our fellow passengers were not so lucky and it seems that on the cruise after ours it wasn't much better. I hope they improve.
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Passenger

They have a new procedure. If you can take your baggage yourself, you can get off the boat as soon as they're docked and ready for people to get off. We were off the boat by 8:00.
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Just a quick FYI the self-debarcation is great as long as you're a U.S. Citizen. I am married to an alien so we must debarc the traditional way (no not "Beam me up Scotty")
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Beginner

Thanks for all the responses. I am trying to figure out if a flight out of PBI is do-able at 11:30 or just asking for trouble. (It seems that flights out of FLL for this time are ridiculously high.)

For some reason, "self-debarkation" sounds like a madhouse. Is it?
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Admiral

You just have to "do it all yourself" with the "self-debarkation". That started around 7:30 or 8 am so an 11:30am flight is doable but lots of stress with a crowed airport. If you can swing a late flight you can always take the ship excursion to the Everglades. They keep your luggage on the bus with you and drop you off at the airport after your excursion. It was a great way to finish our vacation.

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Just a quick FYI the self-debarcation is great as long as you're a U.S. Citizen. I am married to an alien so we must debarc the traditional way (no not "Beam me up Scotty")
Beenie weenie, we go on the self assist.
After getting our passports back from the immigration officer and a cup of coffee we could get off the ship at I thought 07.30 hrs.

Read and post cruise reviews

Old January 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Jackie, I am glad you were able to get off the ship using self-assist. However, the criteria for using it is that you are an American Citizen, as recently as November when we were on the Liberty. I typically do my best to avoid any sort of confrontations with the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service since it has been my experience that they are no fun to have to deal with.
So if Carnival tells me that d/h cannot use it then we will gladly and patiently wait, no problem.
I probably would be a little more daring but when returning from our honeymoon nearly 9 years ago, d/h and I had a run in with the INS after flying into Toronto and trying to cross back into the U.S. from Canada. They refused my d/h entry into the US. I was a newly wed and had to leave my husband in Canada, while I drove back to Illinois in the middle of the night and showed up on the doorstep of my United States Congressman at 8:00 a.m. the next morning to ask their help in getting my husband back. His staff was wonderful, and had actually helped me fill out all the INS paperwork, before we even got married. Luckily his assistant was just leaving to go to Chicago and offerred to go to the INS office and help clear the mess up. Off she went and at 4:00p.m. she called me and told me I could go back to Canada to get my husband, so I hopped in the car drove 8 hours back picked him up. Not my idea of a good time.
Personally I don't see why it makes a difference whether or not you are a US citizen, Basically everyone gets off the ship and picks up their luggage, but if thats the rules, so be it.
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Beenie weenie I am surprised to hear this.

Maybe it is a new rule Carnival does not show on its site, maybe I have to look closer. In two weeks we sail the Liberty and as far as I know we can get off with the self assist.

You know, we just go for it, see what happens, I know they can give you trouble at the immigration procedure, but heeeyyyy I am a dumb European woman who hardly speaks any English 8)
I let you know when we get back in February.

Old January 6th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Well I first became aware of it on our Sensation cruise in January 2005. Truthfully I don't blame you for slipping out, and whats the worse thing that will happen to you, they'll send you back to the ship? Deport you? lol! So I guess you have everything to gain and nothing to lose so what the heck!
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM
First Mate

Please remember that PBI is a good 50-60 min. drive from Fort Flauderdale depending on traffic! After we cruise we go up there to my inlaws for a few days!! Have a good trip!!
Old January 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

The last time I disembarked I played it safe and booked a flight for 2 pm after hearing all the warnings from my TA and others. We did not do the self-disembark but our luggage tag color, Riviera, was the first one called. We got to the airport by 10 am and we couldn't get an earlier flight without paying a change fee of $50 per person for five people. We sat at the airport for 4 hours. Oh well, at least we weren't stressed out about making our flights. Because of this and other factors as well, we have decided to do a post cruise stay over this time and fly back home the next day.

BTW, this was out of Long Beach, CA and we flew out of LAX.

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006