Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Beginner

Default Bad Customer Service from Carnival

I would like to know if anyone else has had problems with Carnival customer service? I had what I thought was a great vacation planner book my family cruise. I was specific about asking him the advantage of booking flights through him. He was point blank told that I needed to travel on Sundays and non stop since two young children are in my party. He told me that this would not be a problem and told me about thier lowest price program. Five weeks before my cruise, I am sitting here with horible flights, and an extra night stay that is not possible for my situation. Talking to someone calling themselves a supervisor, I was offered photo credits and told to accept them or not. I pray for a great vacation with my children, but will never call on Carnival again. Management is impossible to contact. I will spend every opportunity to let the public know what a disgrace the Carnival organization is.
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Yeoman

Carnival Planners on the whole are horrid. I waited for 5 weeks to hear from one, even though I asked on a weekly basis to return my calls. I then got my friends PVP to call me, and he basically told me in email, give me your number, i will call. Never heard a peep from him, but i sure did get spammed by him! Finally, I called the 800 number. The woman talking to me had a faulty head set on, I couldn't understand a word she said, and at this point i just said...^$^*^%$$###%$%!

I bought my cruise of their website, getting my answers from Cruise mates.

The moral is: Costumer service is a joke.
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We've seen this discussion many times on the various boards and I would highly recommend using a good cruise travel agent. When ever booking air through the cruiseline, they can not guarantee non-stop flights, the planner should of known that and told you. The only way to guarntee those kinds of flights would be to do a flight deviation and pay an extra fee for that. Its actually better to just book your own flights, if you need the cruiseline transfers, you can still do that even when booking your own flights, I've done that too.

Its always beneficial to book with a t/a and have someone you can e-mail or call with questions or problems if they come up. I hope you can have your flights changed, but it may be too late for that.

Here is a link to an article that shows the pro's and con's of booking cruiseair:

Booking cruiseline air packages or not?

I'm sure you will still have a wonderful family vacation. How are the return flights?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 12th, 2006, 09:57 PM
First Mate

Quite honestly there are travel agents out there, whether Carnival or otherwise, who are just horrible. I have booked through Cruises Only on several occasions and their customer service is definitely in the toilet! I have been booking through Carnival for about 5 years now and have not had a single problem - I can't recall ever calling them back and them not returning my call or updating my records if necessary. In general, there are "bad" travel agents everywhere, but I personally have recommended Carnival to many friends and family and have, in general, been extremely pleased.
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: BAD SERVICE

We booked our 1st 3 cruises through a local travel agent and found them to be curt and not very helpful to us. We booked our last two directly through Carnival and our agent was David Leon. (see below). David has been the most helpful and nicest agent we have ever dealt with for any travel. He returns our calls and helps us with the most trivial questions we may have. I would recommend him to anyone.

***edited to remove commercial reference***
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM
First Mate

Thanks Jst1jst
I'm going to keep his name and will probably call him soon to book my next cruise - for May. It seems like Carnival's agents don't hang around too long, but I've never had a bad experience with them. It's good to know someone who comes highly recommended. Thanks again!
Old January 13th, 2006, 02:17 AM
First Mate

8)
I have used the same Carnival Vacation Planner for 4 of my 7 cruises and found him to be wonderful. I'm not sure if I am allowed to use his name.
He always calls me back quickly, is very helpful and listens to what I need/want. He makes great suggestions and answers my questions to the
best of his knowledge. I'm sure some of the Vacation Planners aren't
as good as this one. In the future ask for Derrick Hanes. I hope he gives
you great service like he has me.
Happy Sailing..........
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

We have booked our last 3 cruises from a carnival vacation planner. I have never had a problem with him, we even get Christmas cards from him! I am not sure if I can put his info down, but I will leave his email, and if it gets edited, I am sorry!

***edited to remove commercial reference***

My theroy is, there is always a bad apple in the group, no matter where you go. Don't let it spoil your vacation... A bad cruise is still better than a good week at work!

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Admiral

I have been blessed with an outstanding travel agent that I have used for several years and I book everything (air,cruises,hotels etc) with her and have never had a situation that she could not resolve

travel companies are trying to save money by not paying commissions to travel agents and to encourage people to use the web by offering cost savings

the dollars you saved are thrown out the window when there is a challenge (never say problem) and that's when the skills of a good professional travel agent is worth the cost
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Admiral

I have always booked my Carnival cruises through the website and followed it up with a telephone call to a Carnival rep. I have never had a problem with them. I have even gone to their offices before, convienent for me since there is one in the Houston area.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Toas Warnstadt

OOPS!!!!!! Naming a travel agent on these boards is a NO NO!!! At least it was when i named my PVP.
This will be our first cruise, when I registered on the Carnival web page I received a call from a Carnival PVP, she also emailed me. I told he when she called that I was just looking at possible cruised, but was not ready to book, she said ok.
When I was ready I called her back and booked with. She was and still is very helpful. She helped me pick out a cabin that suited our requirments, I could never have done that booking on line. Any questions that I had, including finding a lower price on Carnival, she called me back within minutes and fully answered my questions. She also told me about the lower price before I asked her.
Again this is our first experience, so will see.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Guys,
Just a reminder, putting in your travel agents e-mail or phone numbers is against the TOS here, so I did have to edit that out. Feel free to privately e-mail that information amoung yourselves, thats fine, hope you all understand.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 13th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I would write a letter to Carnival's main office. Keep it very calm and factual giving names, dates and times. Unless the main office knows there's a problem they can't do anything to correct it. This person could be giving this same wrong information out to lots of customers. Be prepared for it to take a while to get a response. I'm sure they get lots of letters.
Old January 14th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bad service at Carnival

SORRY!!!!!!! Oops, I was not aware that I was not supposed to put a reference here. I have just been so pleased with our agent at Carnival that I still would recommend him to anyone. If it is not against the rules here, you can e-mail me for more info.

Thanks for your input and I will take (as Dear Abby put it) 20 slaps on the wrist with a wet noodle.

Old January 14th, 2006, 07:23 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

One thing you will learn about cruising.

Do your air YOURSELF. It's easier, AND CHEAPER!

Regardless if you use a Carnie PVP or your own TA, if you do fly/sail you will lose.
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Default Customer service

Personally, I'd keep calling until I got the "supervisor" who helped me.
They didnt tell you about airline deviation? For a fee, around $35, you can change your flights to ones that suit you better.

Carnival is not alone in service problems. It is impossible to reach management in any cruise line. Try writing a letter of complaint. Cruise lines regularly score the highest points in customer satisfaction -- until someone has a problem. I've yet to see an exception, either
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:43 AM
First Mate

Default Book Yourself

I researched about 5 or 6 different sites to find the best deal to be had. I did the math on booking my cruise w/ flight from Carnival and found it to be about $125 more than if I booked my cruise with them and my flight separately.

I was a little upset when I was unable to complete my reservation using the Carnival website, so I had no choice but to call the 888 number. After a few questions from the customer service person on the line, I was very happy because he was able to save me $300 on my cruise since I was a military veteran; a question they don't ask when you're booking online.

In all I saved about $500 by being diligent AND calling carnival directly. It took all of 3 or 4 hours, and it was worth it.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Beginner

I would like to thank everyone for responding to my posting. On Thursday night, I received a phone call from a supervisor. She apologized and told me that the vacation planner admitted to giving me false information at the time of booking. At this time however, there are very few flights still available. I was happy with her response since she told me the situation would be monitored by her and I would receive a phone call from her every day. She would check with air - sea until something could be done. This would have been nice except for the fact that tonight is Sunday and I have yet to hear from anyone from Carnival. If there are any contacts and phone numbers that may be helpful to me please e-mail them to joe-crowley@verizon.net.
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Admiral

EMG I am glad to see that your diligence helped you to make out well. Have a great time at sea!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.